Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2019, 11:06 AM   #1
FireViper
Registered Member

Basic Powerhead Info

A few basic questions on powerheads:

What size makes sense for a tank? I've read that 25 to 30 x turnover is the target. So for a 55 gallon tank, 1375 to 1650 gph. Close to being accurate?

I've read and learned from the LFS that multiple heads are better, at opposite ends of the tank diagonally. Makes sense, so each powerhead would be about half the above in gph.

Placing them near the top, or at least pointed towards the top has been recommended, as that will help bringing oxygen into the water. Seems to make sense as well. Correct, or will flow at the bottom help to get nutrients to the corals near the substrate.

We've two powerheads, one Current Orbit rated 660 gph, the other a Jebao rated 317 to 3963 gph. The latter, even at the lowest setting, is significantly stronger than the 660 gph. The ratings are very inconsistent, is that typical across manufacturers? Any long term damage from running these at the lowest or highest setting?

Finally, they come with all sorts of settings: Sine Wave. Night time. Feeding. I understand the feeding setting, but what about the others? I would guess the sine wave would match the ocean better, right? If so, the powerheads should be sized so the top speed matches the 25-30x, correct. If I run the Jebao at anywhere close to top speed, it's a haboob in the tank. Thoughts? What about the nighttime setting. The ocean doesn't sleep, should a reef tank?

As always, thanks for the help!

FireViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2019, 11:12 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Seems you understand just fine..
30x is "general"
50x is medium/higher flow
75x+ for SPS only tanks..
More is typically better as you can pinpoint to reduce stagnant areas..

Concentration of the pattern (spread) can make the flowrates seem inconsistent.. I'm not sure what process they use to determine flowrates though.. Doubt its standardized too..

Sine/reefcrest/peak blah blah,etc... are really just "fluff" and one isn't proven to be any better than any other for the most part.. Pick one that you like and think makes "motion" in your tank "good"

No harm in running them at min speeds but sometimes some functions aren't available at low speeds,etc..
Ocean does not sleep..