Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2019, 08:09 PM   #1
Aquaman101
Registered Member

Herbie Method Drain Question

I'm planning to install a Herbie drain and am a bit confused on what to do with the emergency drain part.

I've seen people who have a little bit of water going down the emergency drain and some of who have the emergency drain just high enough that no water goes down it unless the herbie drain gets clogged.

What's the right way?

Second question. The tank has two overflows, both with two holes. I'm trying to figure out the best way to plumb this herbie style. Is it ok to have the herbie drain in one overflow and the emergency drain in the second, then have a return coming back up the 2nd hole in both overflows?

Aquaman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 10:01 AM   #2
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

I run dual Herbies in my 125.

My system has a full siphon and emergency in each overflow box. I plumbed my returns over the back of the tank.

I understand where you're getting confusing/conflicting info on if the emergency should be dry or not. I've seen both arguments while I was researching my setup.

Perhaps it's easier to tune the full siphon so the emergency drain stays dry on a single Herbie setup, but with dual Herbies, I've found it near impossible to keep the emergencies dry without constant tuning. Some days there will be a trickle out of one or the other emergencies, other days one or the other will be dry. I can't quite put my finger on why this is, atmospheric pressure I assume, but that's how mine behaves. I don't worry about it. All I care is that it runs quiet (silent) and is reliable, which it is.

One problem with splitting the Herbie between the two overflow boxes is that the water in the emergency side overflow box can go stagnant if you don't take measures to avoid this.

Plumbing two full Herbies also gives you the safety advantage of having four drains should something go wrong. In my system, any one drain can handle all of the drain water on it's own with the pump at full power. That's peace of mind.

fishgate, a member here has a good video on dual Herbies here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYhAp6GFNz8

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Ab129
Registered Member

I’m confused here. If you ran dual herbies in two overflows wouldn’t you do a main drain and emergency in each overflow as opposed to two emergency drains in one of the overflows?

If you do a herbie setup in one overflow and use the second overflow for your return what would be the best use of the fourth pre drilled hole in your second overflow since you only need one hole for the return?

Current Tank Info: nitrates 0 SG 1.026, pH 8.1
Ab129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 04:57 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Waffles View Post
fishgate, a member here has a good video on dual Herbies here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYhAp6GFNz8
This +1000
watch the video.. Duplicate the setup.. Enjoy knowing its been done correctly..

Unread 02/19/2019, 09:06 AM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

Agree with having a Herbie in both overflows...Siphon and emergency in each overflow.

A trickle in the emergency is fine. More than a trickle becomes noisy and less safe.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab129 View Post
I’m confused here. If you ran dual herbies in two overflows wouldn’t you do a main drain and emergency in each overflow as opposed to two emergency drains in one of the overflows?
Correct

Current Tank Info: 125g LPS, SPS, and a few softies
Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote