Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Many Waters
Registered Member

Sea grass/ " Macro algae"?

Hi all! New to keeping seahorses, not new to salt water. ( I also have a 180 gal reef, and a 20 gal nano reef.) I currently have 3 H. Reidi in a Red Sea Max E 170, which came with Hydra HD LEDs, operating using the back sump. I have about a half inch bed of black live sand. There's about 40 pounds of live rock in there, as well as biomedia in the back of the tank, along with the red sea protein skimmer that came with the tank. ( Which, btw, works great!) I've just started trying to look into Macro Algae/Seagrass options for the ponies to hang on, and I was wondering if a) anyone has some suggestions on the best "plants" to purchase for a first time attempt at planted salt water, and b ) if anyone has a favorite/most trusted vendor to buy from. My LFS does not carry any such product. Once I have an idea on the type of " plant" I should be purchasing, then I can start investigating lighting/supplementation needs. Thanks in advance! Also, I apologize if this question has already been answered elsewhere- I can't seem to find the exact info I'm looking for.

Thanks y'all!

( Sorry for any typos- one of my arms is currently in a sling. :-/ )

Many Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 07:15 AM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

I like red grape caulerpa for seahorses. It has a pleasing color, makes a great hitch for ponies and is not uncontrollable. It is not actually a caulerpa at all. Dragon's breath is another nice macro as an ornamental but its not as good as a hitch.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 08:57 AM   #3
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

A 1/2 inch sand bed eliminates even the smallest of seagrasses but it doesn't matter with macros as they don't have true roots. Adding enough lighting for seagrasses will also cause the temps to rise so I would stay away from grasses.

Gulf Coast Ecosystems has a nice assortment of macros and an online book about their needs and care so I would start by reading the care manual. If you click on species that you like you can see care instructions for each one.

Also check out the marine algae forum on this site.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 09:04 AM   #4
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

One of my macro/seahorse tanks from 2007.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0439.5.jpg (72.6 KB, 55 views)
BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2017, 03:03 PM   #5
Many Waters
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 View Post
A 1/2 inch sand bed eliminates even the smallest of seagrasses but it doesn't matter with macros as they don't have true roots. Adding enough lighting for seagrasses will also cause the temps to rise so I would stay away from grasses.

Gulf Coast Ecosystems has a nice assortment of macros and an online book about their needs and care so I would start by reading the care manual. If you click on species that you like you can see care instructions for each one.

Also check out the marine algae forum on this site.
Thank you! I had wondered that re: my shallow sand bed. And thank you very much for directing me to the proper thread!

Unread 02/26/2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Many Waters
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 View Post
One of my macro/seahorse tanks from 2007.
Also, lovely tank! The seahorses must have loved it!!