Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/29/2018, 12:32 PM   #1
Tomafguy
Registered Member

Sea cucumber won't leave top of tank

Hello, silly question here. I recently moved, and obviously had to move my tank in the process. Everything made the move no problem but ever since the move my yellow sea cucumber h asnt left from the top of the tank. He moves around, but always at the top, and it is searching for food because I see it's mouth parts going. I'm just worried that there isn't much to eat along the waterline for it. Before the move it was always down munching on the sand. Thanks!

Tomafguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 07:28 PM   #2
Maggie321
Registered Member

Can you put him on the rock without injuring him?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maggie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2018, 07:44 PM   #3
ReefNomad
Registered Member

My yellow colochirus spend extended periods filtering the water column right at the edge of the water. I feed a lot of micro foods, and have conchs who patrol the sandbed, so that's a perfect spot for them. They hang out where eddies form near corners and powerheads.

ReefNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Tomafguy
Registered Member

He's got a fairly strong grip on the glass, don't want to force him and possibly injure him. Maybe he is just trying something new, I did get new sand when the tank was moved, maybe it quickly realized there wasn't much there.

Unread 01/31/2018, 07:21 AM   #5
ReefNomad
Registered Member

Definitely do not pry him off the glass. Colochirus don't have near as many sucker-feet as other cucumbers, so damaging their feet is much harder on them.

ReefNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 11:42 AM   #6
Tomafguy
Registered Member

Yeah, I gave him a nudge and he was glued on tight, so I stopped bugging him. I just realized my refractometer was reading off, my salinity is only 1.022, so I'm slowly raising it back to 1.026, wondering if that could play a role in his odd behaviour