Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/15/2011, 08:19 PM   #1
brian762
Registered Member

How are Halloween urchins (Tripneustes gratilla)?

Are these guys reef safe? are they bulldozers? what are your
experience? My fiance really likes them and if she is happy with my reef so am I!

brian762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2011, 08:48 PM   #2
mystikdragon7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian762 View Post
Are these guys reef safe? are they bulldozers? what are your
experience? My fiance really likes them and if she is happy with my reef so am I!
They are reef safe to a point lol. As far as eating corals and what not they are just perfect for your tank. But if you think all the pretty pink/purple coraline is nice to have you will more than likely lose it all. I had one in my tank years ago and that's all it ate was that. It was fine at first but I started disliking it when it turned all my LR white lol. Did a great job eating it on the front of the tank though!

Current Tank Info: 60gal reef, 2 175 watt MH, 2 95 watt VHO Actinics, 20 gal sump; 30gal FOWLR, pair of B&W baby perculas
mystikdragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2011, 07:49 AM   #3
brian762
Registered Member

Thank you mystikdragon! Any body else have experience with them?

brian762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I have a couple of urchins in my nem tank and they do eat the coraline. I moved them into that tank because they are bulldozers in the DT. If all your corals and smaller rocks are held down tight, they wouldn't be a problem... but who does that?

Unread 11/16/2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

I had one for about a year (( darn S. haddoni ate it )), and thought it was great. Sure it liked to cover itself with loose zoas and the like, but was a great algae eater. In fact I recently sold that S. haddoni anemone and picked up a new urchin over the weekend. The old one was bigger than a golf ball.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2011, 11:56 AM   #6
redneckgearhead
Registered Member

While I do not have a halloween urchin, my pink urchin is a bull dozer and I constantly have to pick the help less snails and frags off of him. But I love the fact that he strips off some of the coraline. My rocks where totally covered in it and I didn't like the all purple look so I like that he breaks up the colors. But they can be very frustrating with the frags. lol
Funny story.
He snagged one of my frags and dropped it behind the rocks where I couldn't get to it. I thought it was a gonner but within a few days he had picked it back up and brought it around where I could put it back in its place. I plan on epoxying all my frags down after the 90 gallon upgrade over christmas.

75 gallon soon to be 90 gallon reef

55 gallon FOWLR
Life aint goin as planned? Look to the two things you can change...YOUR perspective and YOUR actions!

Current Tank Info: 75g reef
redneckgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2011, 12:02 PM   #7
AlfieReef
Registered Member

I think all urchins are a risk, just be prepared to remove him if it starts to be a problem.

AlfieReef is offline   Reply With Quote