Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/03/2009, 06:14 PM   #1
golby
Registered Member

Tuxedo Urchin

I'm thinking about getting a tuxedo urchin. What are the things I should be aware of that perhaps I'm not thinking of because I've never had one?

I understand that they eat algae, including coralline. I have a healthy amount of it my rocks and back wall.

I have hermits, snails a YT, YT-damsels, ocellaris, blue dot goby and a six-line wrasse.

My tank is a 90g that has been up and running with fish and LR for about 7 months.

pH: 8.2
Amm: 0
'trite: 0
'trate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Copper: 0
Calcium: 360-420
dkH: 9

Current Tank Info: 90g internal overflow; 30g sump; ~325 Watts 6500K CFL bulbs; 100 lbs LR; mixed reef with LPS (frogspawn, torch, trumpet and bubble) and softies (leathers, mushrooms and lots of zoas)
golby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 06:41 PM   #2
redfishsc
Registered Member

Eh, get several of them if you can afford it. They are sweet creatures. Expect them to move around small frags wherever they want, but for the most part it's one of the most harmless and reef-safe animals I've ever had.

It will eat corraline but not enough in a 90g to make even a dent in the overall look of the tank.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Darejohn
Registered Member.

Dont know much about those, sorry

Darejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

I have 2 in my 175; they've been in there since Feb and are active though I've never seen them travel to the right side of the tank! They will "clean" your rock down to the rock.

Stanley-Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 07:55 PM   #5
noahm
Registered Member

Yeah, the only real negative is that they pick stuff up and drop it places. Frags, hermits, snails etc. If its not glued down, it'll get moved. They will clean the rock though.

noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 08:14 PM   #6
rgentry123
Registered Member

everything said before is correct. great little reef critters and are harmless but they move stuff around everywhere. just make sure all your frags or anything else you dont want moved is secured somehow. they really do add some extra life to the tank though.

Unread 11/03/2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Eel Freak
Fimbriated Moray

Yup. They are fantastic. I have one in my nano and it will eat all forms of algae aside from Cyano and Coralline. It will even eat hair algae!

And as said before, GLUE EVERYTHING YOU DON'T WANT MOVED. My urchin will pick anything and everything up. In fact, I found an 1/8" diameter blue mushroom on it once. At any rate, get one if you can.

Current Tank Info: 205g Mixed Reef - 3x Radion XR30w Gen 2, twin VorTechs, SRO-XP5000e, 50g estuary, 125g fuge, OM 4-way
Eel Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 08:58 PM   #8
shellzreef
Registered Member

anyone have a picture of one of these?

shellzreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 09:26 PM   #9
redfishsc
Registered Member

Here is mine carrying a slice of plastic I didn't even know was in the tank.

A "royal" urchin carrying a very p-o'ed hermit crab.

“The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins” -- Søren Kierkegaard

Current Tank Info: ghetto grad school reef.....11g rimless tank, 36X9X9, lit by Cree and Rebels scobbled together. Stocked mostly with free stuff I got from panhandling my fellow reefers.
redfishsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 09:34 PM   #10
rick12
Registered Member

reef3 064.jpg
great critters...i have two in a 40g. they help move the zoas lol

rick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 09:41 PM   #11
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

While we're on the topic of pictures, here's a pincushion covering itself with... everything

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2009, 11:02 PM   #12
goochesfish
Registered Member

The chaeto started as a small strand. Now it's even more lush. The down side is the chaeto snags on sps. I've also had snails and hermits trapped upside down as well as zoanthids. Tuxedos are great, coraline grows back, can't eat inside the crevice my hair algae is growing out of though.

Current Tank Info: 150 gallon Starfire set up July 22,09, 30g QT
goochesfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 01:34 AM   #13
AMW
Registered Member

Yep, definitely recommend a tuxedo urchin for clean-up, especially nuisance algae. I have not had a problem with my tuxedo urchin moving frags around, but it does put some strange items on its 'back', eg, the shells of emerald crabs, coral scraps, etc, etc.

AMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 07:10 AM   #14
golby
Registered Member

I'm getting the sense that a tuxedo urchin is great, but will be a problem in my tank. While my coral frags are glued down, much of my LR "reef" is just piled on top of itself. It is loose rock and it sounds like the urchin, in moving around, will easily knock over the rocks. That has been a fairly consistent risk with my setup--though they are mostly in position, it doesn't take much to have a tumbler.

pH: 8.2
Amm: 0
'trite: 0
'trate: 0
Phosphate: 0
Copper: 0
Calcium: 360-420
dkH: 9

Current Tank Info: 90g internal overflow; 30g sump; ~325 Watts 6500K CFL bulbs; 100 lbs LR; mixed reef with LPS (frogspawn, torch, trumpet and bubble) and softies (leathers, mushrooms and lots of zoas)
golby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 08:27 AM   #15
EllieSuz
Premium Member

No, they aren't heavy enough to disturb your rock; they just pick up stray bits and pieces they find loose in the tank. Light weight things such as an empty snail shell or a little pebble from the substrate are common. Mine currently is sporting a feather duster and a ten polyp piece of pink paly. The feather duster has been riding around the tank for a couple of months and is doing well and the pink paly started out as one polyp and has grown to a very respectable frag. I promise you it will not knock over anything as substantial as your rock.

EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2009, 08:43 AM   #16
SaltLifeLove
Impatient Reefer

Its on my stock list Just waiting for the tank to get a little dirtier

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...595&pcatid=595

My Fish are SMARTER than your Fish because I filled my tank with Smart Water ;)

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef Tank
SaltLifeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 05:08 PM   #17
shellzreef
Registered Member

i got one....just today! =) he seems to be doing well i guess. his tentacles are out, hes moving around! ...so we'll see

Unread 11/22/2009, 05:19 PM   #18
Ralph ATL
Formerly mysterybox

I've had mine since Feb, 2007. Still great!

Unread 11/22/2009, 05:24 PM   #19
EdSnyder
Registered Member

What kind of urchin is this? I was told to move him to the sump.

EdSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2009, 05:32 PM   #20
Almondsaz
Premium Member

The Tuxedo Urchin is great because for an urchin is does not have long spines to agitate corals and can't push the LR around like the pencil urchin can. I have had a Tuxedo Urchin for about three years now and absolutely love it. I refer to mine as "pigpen" because it does travel around with all manner of debris (living or not) stuck to it. They are fascinating to watch and while they do eat coraline, hasn't made a dent in my 125 which the whole back glass is covered with coraline and the rocks still have quite a bit. They are a great addition.

The only urchins I would say no to are the longspine and the pencil urchins. They can be destructive.

Almondsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2009, 09:51 AM   #21
waterlife
Registered Member

i have one but it looks like it is dying. it was fine until my husband hit it when he put in some more snails. it was just a little pinch on his hand but then last night it did not move and today it is loosing its tenicles. any ideas??? i bought it four days ago

waterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2009, 10:11 AM   #22
Mako
Will Dive For Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSnyder View Post
What kind of urchin is this? I was told to move him to the sump.
Looks to me like it's a Reef Urchin. No pun intended as thats the common name for Echinometra viridis which is what you have there best I can tell. No need to banish to the sump as they are primarily algae eaters.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."
-- W Durant

Current Tank Info: 300 mixed reef
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2009, 06:21 AM   #23
goodtimes
Nothin but

Just be carefull you don't squish it while cleaning with your mag float like I did. Thought I had plenty of room and then it slipped.

goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2009, 11:00 AM   #24
shellzreef
Registered Member

Do we think the urchin could get stuck on the koralia?? or has anyone had this happen?? Im not sure but i felt like he was stuck, i turned off the pump and moved him.

Unread 11/27/2009, 11:06 AM   #25
Eel Freak
Fimbriated Moray

Mine has crawled across my Koralia 4 before with no issues... Powerheads tend to be algae hot-spots so the urchin will likely stay there for a while until every last bit is gone. I have even had my tiny Astrea snails be fine on my Koralia 4

Current Tank Info: 205g Mixed Reef - 3x Radion XR30w Gen 2, twin VorTechs, SRO-XP5000e, 50g estuary, 125g fuge, OM 4-way
Eel Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
urchin