Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2017, 09:04 AM   #1
dabob79
Registered Member

Coralife 32 LED Biocube questions

Ok, so I've decided to downsize and went with the Coralife 32 gallon LED Biocube. First of all, how many of you are using this new tank? How do you like it, and what changes have you made/would you make?

I'm using the stock LEDs, but adding one of these as well...
https://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_le.../rbp505010.htm

I also got the Oceanic Biocube skimmer, anybody using this thing? I've been told to check out the "airline mod", but can't seem to find that one. Anything else I should try when setting this thing up?

I just filled the tank last night, using 20lbs of Caribsea Arag-Live Fiji Pink sand, several scoops of sand from my existing tank, and a couple pieces of live rock from my existing tank. I'm going to give it a week or so and see what kind of cycle I get, then move my remaining fish over. I'll post some pics once I get the extra light added and everything clears up. Anything else I should know about this tank?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
dabob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 09:10 AM   #2
JVan82
Registered Member

I've had my 32 up and running a lil over a yr now, I've added an intank media basket and refugium. Also running 2 mp10s, and apex. I removed the hood and went with an ecotech XR15, after trying and led retrofit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JVan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 01:26 PM   #3
rajilnaja
Registered Member

I have the 32 also. I removed the hood about 6 months in and replaced with black box LEDS. I left the stock basket pretty much as is just removed a few of the divders to give the macroalage more room to grow. I have the skimmer let it run for about 2 months and just removed it. Didnt produce any skimate for me and got tired of adjusting it. We just crossed the one year mark this month also.

rajilnaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Cal1089
Registered Member

Pics of the cubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cal1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

I've got one too and like mine a lot. The only thing above stock I'd recommend changing would be the lighting. I tried something similar to what you're adding and it didn't accomplish what I wanted (still looked white washed). I invested the $300 in Steve's LED retrofit kit and it's like an entirely different tank. Highly recommend doing so. Good luck and keep us posted! Here's a pic of mine

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Darryl Hey
Registered Member

in tank basket Tunze skimmer and true lumen deep blue strip and 10000 daylight

Darryl Hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:07 PM   #7
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Darilek View Post
I've got one too and like mine a lot. The only thing above stock I'd recommend changing would be the lighting. I tried something similar to what you're adding and it didn't accomplish what I wanted (still looked white washed). I invested the $300 in Steve's LED retrofit kit and it's like an entirely different tank. Highly recommend doing so. Good luck and keep us posted! Here's a pic of mine

Well the light bar I'm adding has separate controls for the blue and white LEDs, so I can turn it more blue to get the look I want. They're also 3W CRI LEDs, so it should bump up the PAR numbers a bit. I just came up wit a genius mod for the biocube skimmer too, check this out!

So the problem I was having with the skimmer was the way it hangs on the wall between the first and second chambers. The cup basically rests flush on the wall, causing the water level to rise in the first chamber and the display area. This also made the water level way too high for the skimmer to work properly, I had to turn the air WAY down. So I got to looking for a way to raise the cup, because in the new 32 gallon Biocube there's a bit of room to work with between the top of the cup and the lid. After digging around and experimenting a bit, I found that a piece of 1 1/4 inch vinyl tubing I had was the exact same size of the lip the cup rests on. So I cut a 1 1/4 inch long piece of it, heated it up in some boiling water so I could slip it over the lip on the top of the skimmer body, and viola, extended the neck and raised the cup! Now water flows more unrestricted over the wall, and I can turn up the air a lot more to produce more foam. I'll let this run a day or two and see what it does. Here's a picture of the finished product in place...

And a pic of the tank as it sits right now, waiting to see if it's going to cycle at all...

That's it for now, I'll keep ya'll updated on my progress!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 93 gallon rimless cube, Radion LED/T5 Combo, Eshopps sump, Nyos skimmer, Apex controller
Unread 10/16/2017, 08:20 PM   #8
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabob79 View Post
Well the light bar I'm adding has separate controls for the blue and white LEDs, so I can turn it more blue to get the look I want. They're also 3W CRI LEDs, so it should bump up the PAR numbers a bit. I just came up wit a genius mod for the biocube skimmer too, check this out!

So the problem I was having with the skimmer was the way it hangs on the wall between the first and second chambers. The cup basically rests flush on the wall, causing the water level to rise in the first chamber and the display area. This also made the water level way too high for the skimmer to work properly, I had to turn the air WAY down. So I got to looking for a way to raise the cup, because in the new 32 gallon Biocube there's a bit of room to work with between the top of the cup and the lid. After digging around and experimenting a bit, I found that a piece of 1 1/4 inch vinyl tubing I had was the exact same size of the lip the cup rests on. So I cut a 1 1/4 inch long piece of it, heated it up in some boiling water so I could slip it over the lip on the top of the skimmer body, and viola, extended the neck and raised the cup! Now water flows more unrestricted over the wall, and I can turn up the air a lot more to produce more foam. I'll let this run a day or two and see what it does. Here's a picture of the finished product in place...

And a pic of the tank as it sits right now, waiting to see if it's going to cycle at all...

That's it for now, I'll keep ya'll updated on my progress!

Dude!! That's AWESOME! I've been wanting a skimmer but haven't got it because I haven't heard much good about our slim-to-none options. For sure let me know how it does because I'll order this thing in a heartbeat. Great idea, MacGyver!!!

Unread 10/16/2017, 08:22 PM   #9
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Dude!! That's AWESOME! I've been wanting a skimmer but haven't got it because I haven't heard much good about our slim-to-none options. For sure let me know how it does because I'll order this thing in a heartbeat. Great idea, MacGyver!!!

Will do!

Unread 10/17/2017, 07:42 AM   #10
Seattle_Reef
Registered Member

I have the same skimmer and also didn't like how it blocked the flow between chambers 1 and 2. My solution was to use the suction cups instead and mount it to the right side of chamber 1. Also, I upgraded that measly air pump that came with it. Just a Whisper 10 makes a lot more air. I mounted it as high as it would go (limited by the suction cups) and found that you need to have the bubbles lower in the cup then they recommend, otherwise you just get watery skimate. Even with all that, it still requires regular tweaking to keep it working correctly as the bubble flow varies quite a bit over time.

Another good cheap upgrade is to upgrade the return pump for more flow. I got a Cobalt MJ1200.

Seattle_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 07:55 AM   #11
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Reef View Post
I have the same skimmer and also didn't like how it blocked the flow between chambers 1 and 2. My solution was to use the suction cups instead and mount it to the right side of chamber 1. Also, I upgraded that measly air pump that came with it. Just a Whisper 10 makes a lot more air. I mounted it as high as it would go (limited by the suction cups) and found that you need to have the bubbles lower in the cup then they recommend, otherwise you just get watery skimate. Even with all that, it still requires regular tweaking to keep it working correctly as the bubble flow varies quite a bit over time.

Another good cheap upgrade is to upgrade the return pump for more flow. I got a Cobalt MJ1200.
Yeah, I thought about the suction cups, but I was still limited on height by them and they're so unreliable for long-term functionality. My simple addition got me the extra inch of height easily and cheaply. I am noticing that the bubbles need to be run a bit lower too, I've still got some tweaking to do.

I'm probably going to upgrade the pump simply because the stock pump is super loud, the flow seems fine though. I also got rid of that 90 degree elbow on the return and just used a piece of silicone tubing to make a nice, smooth bend.

Unread 10/17/2017, 07:59 AM   #12
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:

Hey, BEAUTIFUL tank btw, I was so busy last night I didn't take the time to really look at your picture. Are you dosing at all, or just regular water changes? What are you doing for filtration in the back?

Unread 10/17/2017, 04:42 PM   #13
rockhead51
Registered Member

Here's mine. Plus a close up of my zoa garden and the same under the blues. Stock lighting. Similar mod to the skimmer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

rockhead51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 05:36 PM   #14
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey, BEAUTIFUL tank btw, I was so busy last night I didn't take the time to really look at your picture. Are you dosing at all, or just regular water changes? What are you doing for filtration in the back?
Hey thanks man! I dose only calcium, iron and magnesium, but also do weekly 15% WC's but that's because I'm slightly over-stocked on my bioload. In the back I've got it simple with a Chemi-Pure bag, a Polyfilter, a large carbon bag and a slight overkill on filter floss... Seems to be working really well for me though

Unread 10/17/2017, 05:37 PM   #15
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhead51 View Post
Here's mine. Plus a close up of my zoa garden and the same under the blues. Stock lighting. Similar mod to the skimmer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Looks awesome!!

Unread 10/17/2017, 06:02 PM   #16
MK3_LUV
Registered Member

Following, just picked up a 16G myself

MK3_LUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2017, 07:56 PM   #17
dabob79
Registered Member

Anybody here ever dealt with bryopsis? This is rock that I took from my old tank and is currently in the new Biocube.

Unread 10/17/2017, 08:10 PM   #18
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
Anybody here ever dealt with bryopsis? This is rock that I took from my old tank and is currently in the new Biocube.

Unfortunately I have... And it's absolutely miserable. I'm fairly certain that is GHA and it's at a manageable stage for sure, just stay on top of it and put a CUC to work as soon as the ammonia levels subside and you should be good. Bryopsis is more fern-like in appearance

Unread 10/18/2017, 08:41 AM   #19
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I have... And it's absolutely miserable. I'm fairly certain that is GHA and it's at a manageable stage for sure, just stay on top of it and put a CUC to work as soon as the ammonia levels subside and you should be good. Bryopsis is more fern-like in appearance

Cool, thanks!

Unread 10/23/2017, 04:02 PM   #20
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey thanks man! I dose only calcium, iron and magnesium, but also do weekly 15% WC's but that's because I'm slightly over-stocked on my bioload. In the back I've got it simple with a Chemi-Pure bag, a Polyfilter, a large carbon bag and a slight overkill on filter floss... Seems to be working really well for me though

How long have you had your tank set up? Got any pics of the filter setup from the back?

Unread 10/23/2017, 04:49 PM   #21
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
How long have you had your tank set up? Got any pics of the filter setup from the back?
This tank has only been setup 7 months. I unfortunately don't have access to take a picture of the back area, so I just sketched up a quick diagram on my phone to give you an idea. This is drawn as if you're looking at the back of the tank with chamber 1 on the left and 3 on the right.

Unread 10/23/2017, 05:54 PM   #22
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
This tank has only been setup 7 months. I unfortunately don't have access to take a picture of the back area, so I just sketched up a quick diagram on my phone to give you an idea. This is drawn as if you're looking at the back of the tank with chamber 1 on the left and 3 on the right.

So you're using a poly filter pad on top of the factory filter cartridge? And how often are you changing all this out?

Unread 10/23/2017, 05:57 PM   #23
dabob79
Registered Member

Quote:
So you're using a poly filter pad on top of the factory filter cartridge? And how often are you changing all this out?

Also, did you remove the foam block going from chamber 2 to chamber 3?

Unread 10/23/2017, 06:38 PM   #24
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, did you remove the foam block going from chamber 2 to chamber 3?

Yes I have the poly on top of the factory cartridge... It's basically just holding it up since there's no shelf on the top. I replace the filter floss and rinse everything else every week when I do a WC. I put new carbon in the bags about once a month. And yes, I still have the foam block in there

Unread 10/23/2017, 06:39 PM   #25
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

How is the skimmer working for you?