Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Taqpol
Registered Member

Taqpol's 220 gallon custom Miracles tank!

About a month ago I moved from Pullman, Washington all the way across the country to Durham, North Carolina for Grad school. Considering the average time to get a PhD in my field is ~6 years, my fiance and I bought our first house. As if this wasn't enough already I decided it would be a good idea to upgrade to the six foot tank I've always wanted, especially since the house we ended up with had a perfect location for a "fish closet".

I initially planned on upgrading to a standard 180 gallon, but due to the planned location of the tank I wanted to have an internal overflow and 24" wide did not seem large enough when ~6" of it would be taken up by an overflow box. I looked for a long time at the Marineland Deep Dimension 300, but decided that 36" front to back would overpower the room and make maintenance a real problem. After shopping around at a few of the custom tank manufacturers I decided to splurge and go with a Miracles in Glass tank from Canada. Derek was amazing to work with and I got exactly what I wanted: 72" long x 30" wide x 24" tall with three sides Starfire glass and an internal 30"x6" overflow drilled for three 1.5" bulkheads for a BeanAnimal style overflow!

Quick Specs:
Light: 360 watts of DIY LED goodness
Flow: 2x Vortech MP40w, 2x Koralia Evo 1050 (I'm already thinking I should have gone with a pair of tunze streams for more directional flow)
Skimmer: MSX250A
Misc:
2x ViaAqua 300w Titanium heaters
ReeFlo Dart Return pump
Neptune APEX controller
20 gallon frag tank
38 gallon dedicated QT tank
Water change station
Portable Air Conditioner

Here are some links for any who are interested in my past experiences:

Original 120 gallon build thread. Almost made it to 40 pages, I wonder if this one will be as active.

DIY LED prototype build. ThOTM nominee and my current plan for lighting of the big system.

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Taqpol
Registered Member

Floor plan of my office with "fish Closet". To Scale.

All overflow pipes will travel along the wall behind the two tanks and through the wall into the fish room, terminating in the sump. The wall behind the tanks is an outside wall, so heat from the AC will dump straight outside. My desk is against the wall directly across from the 220.

Miracles guarantees their warranty with DIY stands, as long as the stand in question meets their requirements. I'm pretty sure mine will do the trick.

Based off of RocketEngineer's DIY stand template:

2x6 Base:

2x4s to hold the plywood floor off the ground:

All 2x6 Top:

Sealed with Kilz primer:

This stand was designed and built so that I could remove the legs and assemble it at its final destination. I had to do it this way as the stand is 30" wide and 36" tall, and the doorway to the office is only 29.75" wide.

-Alex
Unread 06/10/2010, 01:23 AM   #3
Taqpol
Registered Member

Stand assembled in place:

No shimming required!

Insulation foam:

This build has been clipping along at a pretty ridiculous pace. For instance, all the cuts were made for the stand on one day. The next day the entire thing was painted and I finally got it assembled in the room at 11:00 that night. This is my tired face:

With the stand in place I was able to pick up the tank from the local freight depot, which was conveniently just up the street from me. That being said, if I had one complaint about Miracles, it was that they crated the tank TOO well. Even though the tank was only 30" wide, it would not fit in the bed of our truck. My father and I ended up going on a wild goose chase all over the city to eventually rent a U-haul just to get it home!

I just had to take a peek!

-Alex
Unread 06/10/2010, 01:28 AM   #4
Taqpol
Registered Member

Its late, so I think I'm going to end with the somewhat obligatory mermaid shot!

My soon to be bride, what a sport!

Mer-Man:

Even a Mer-Cat:

My poor little RO/DI sure has its job cut out for it:

-Alex
Unread 06/10/2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Demonic
Premium Member

Awesome start for the new build. After seeing your last one, I am sure this one will be just as exciting. What are your plans for a sump? I am setting up one as well, just not as pretty. Our equipment is almost identical, I just cant seem to take the plunge into LED's just yet. Maybe your build will talk me into it.

Unread 06/10/2010, 03:51 AM   #6
tegee
Premium Member

Looks Awesome.......tagging along. Good luck with your setup.

Unread 06/10/2010, 04:33 AM   #7
strout
Registered Member

Nice tank, along for the ride

strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 06:33 AM   #8
crvz
Team RC Member

Looks like fun. But in my opinion, you're making too much progress.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 07:07 AM   #9
reefman66
Registered Member

Nice looking tank!!

Unread 06/10/2010, 07:15 AM   #10
kudora
thread reader

nice tarqpol been wondering what you have been up to, congrats on the new tank

"Paul b"

Current Tank Info: 84 gallon(60x18x18) tank, 40 breeder frag, 30 gallon lps
kudora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 08:40 AM   #11
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegee View Post
Looks Awesome.......tagging along. Good luck with your setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strout View Post
Nice tank, along for the ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefman66 View Post
Nice looking tank!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudora View Post
nice tarqpol been wondering what you have been up to, congrats on the new tank
Thanks! Glad to have you all along for the ride!

-Alex
Unread 06/10/2010, 08:58 AM   #12
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonic View Post
Awesome start for the new build. After seeing your last one, I am sure this one will be just as exciting. What are your plans for a sump? I am setting up one as well, just not as pretty. Our equipment is almost identical, I just cant seem to take the plunge into LED's just yet. Maybe your build will talk me into it.
Ask and ye shall receive!

This is a model, with the front pane missing, that I made in sketchup. I am trying my hand at acrylic fabrication and this thing will be made out of 3/8" cell cast acrylic. The chamber in the back is basically a really long bubble tower. All of my overflow pipes and skimmer outlet will enter this as close to the lefthand side so water will have to travel all the way to the right hand side of the trap before flowing to the skimmer. Next is the skimmer section, followed by an under - over - under baffle system which makes more sense to me then what i had last time. Lastly, oversized return section.

I am actually in the process of gluing all this together now and I'll take a lot of pictures of the progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crvz View Post
Looks like fun. But in my opinion, you're making too much progress.
Haha, in my defense all the pictures above were taken over a two week process, I was just too tired every night to actually make a post about them. I am pushing myself a little bit, but there is a reason. I leave this Tuesday to go back to Washington and get married! Immediately after that we will leave for our honeymoon in Bora Bora (I'm sure I'll take lots of pictures, both above and below water!). My goal is to get this tank running in such a way (flow, heat, plumbing, sump, maybe internet APEX so I can check it while I'm away) so that all the rock I had shipped over from Washington can be re-curing while I'm gone. That way the moment I get back I can take my fish and corals off the hands of the lady who has been nice enough to care for them this entire time!

-Alex
Unread 06/10/2010, 09:27 AM   #13
jb61264
Registered Member

Subscribed...again Congrats on the move and the build so far...the tank looks amazing!Is the overflow drilled in the bottom of the tank or the side?...you mentioned the Beananimal overflow but I couldn't tell exactly where your overflows are. Love the width of your internal overflow...what are you doing for returns (noticed the holes drilled into the bracing)?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon SPS reef/55 gallon sump/6x54W TEK T5HO/Reef Octopus 200 Extreme Skimmer/Reef Octopus Single Chamber Calcium Reactor/RKL
jb61264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 12:56 PM   #14
reidcrandall
Registered Member

UPGRADING ALREADY????

I'm jealous. I barely have my 120 going!

There is no more red house! Click my name and see my homepage for my 120g Reef w/ custom stand build!

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic Tech In Progress
reidcrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Nate R
Registered Member

hey alex did you end up getting all your live stock transported over there safe or did you leave them in WA?

Nate

170gal system SPS Collector
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 05:16 PM   #16
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and new tank!
What can you make you any happier?

Claudio

Click on my username and 'Visit jjstecchino's homepage!" to view my 180 gallon reef build thread.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef in Infancy
jjstecchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 07:31 PM   #17
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Very nice Alex

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 09:21 PM   #18
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb61264 View Post
Subscribed...again Congrats on the move and the build so far...the tank looks amazing!Is the overflow drilled in the bottom of the tank or the side?...you mentioned the Beananimal overflow but I couldn't tell exactly where your overflows are. Love the width of your internal overflow...what are you doing for returns (noticed the holes drilled into the bracing)?
The overflow plumbing is plumbed through the bottom of the tank. This allows me to have the tank only 2" from the wall (the OD of 1.5" pipe). I will have a 1" return pipe that come up behind my tank and splits in two to go through the holes in the euro brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidcrandall View Post
UPGRADING ALREADY????

I'm jealous. I barely have my 120 going!
I'll have you know in preperation for this build I went back through and re-read your entire build thread.There are a lot of good ideas in there, especially the fish room design and acrylic work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate R View Post
hey alex did you end up getting all your live stock transported over there safe or did you leave them in WA?
I sold off about half the livestock locally, and shipped the other half including all my coral and live rock air freight to a local hobbyist down here. Unfortunately SWA crushed four of the boxes and delayed the rest. I can't complain because they settled right away, but i pretty much lost all of my SPS corals....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstecchino View Post
Congrats on your upcoming wedding and new tank!
What can you make you any happier?

Claudio
Even though everything that is happening right now is a good thing, I'm a tad burned out. Hopefully the Honeymoon will fix that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoletti View Post
Very nice Alex
Thanks for stopping by Mark! Not much here to see yet, though!

-Alex
Unread 06/10/2010, 09:52 PM   #19
madmike
Registered Member

nice! GO COUGS!

madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2010, 10:01 PM   #20
Taqpol
Registered Member

Because my "fish room" is in a small (6'x8') enclosed room I decided to be proactive about potential heat and moisture problems by installing a portable air conditioner. I went with this because I was able to get it at a local home depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Unfortunately, for any type of AC you need to be able to vent the heat and moisture somewhere. Upon CRVZ's advice I decided not to vent out to the garage and instead ended up drilling a 4.25" hole in my outside wall. It actually went much easier then I thought it would. We started by drilling a 1/4" pilot hole all the way through the wall from the inside to the outside. We then went outside and adjusted the hole up so that our vent cover would fit against the siding like it was supposed to. Then you just take a giant hole saw to your house!

Felt around a little bit, no pipes or wires hopefully....

Simple!

Dryer vent is caulked and screwed to the siding. Good thing we missed the piping for that hose spigot, but it looks pretty good to me!

Installed a dryer quick disconnect to the other end so that I would be able to easily change out to a different AC or some other method of cooling (simple fan, maybe?) in the future.

Directly underneath the vent I also installed a hose spigot drain pipe for my saltwater mixing station and 3/8" spigot to connect to my skimmer for sucking in outside air. I'd already drilled a 4" hole in the wall, these should be simple! Unfortunately it definitely did not turn out as pretty, but in the spirit of full disclosure here are the pics:

They are both so close to the bottom of the house i don't think it will be too noticeable!

-Alex
Unread 06/10/2010, 10:52 PM   #21
Demonic
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
Ask and ye shall receive!

This is a model, with the front pane missing, that I made in sketchup. I am trying my hand at acrylic fabrication and this thing will be made out of 3/8" cell cast acrylic. The chamber in the back is basically a really long bubble tower. All of my overflow pipes and skimmer outlet will enter this as close to the lefthand side so water will have to travel all the way to the right hand side of the trap before flowing to the skimmer. Next is the skimmer section, followed by an under - over - under baffle system which makes more sense to me then what i had last time. Lastly, oversized return section.

I am actually in the process of gluing all this together now and I'll take a lot of pictures of the progress!

Nice sketch up. I like the design, so much I may copy it.
Take lots of pics for me so it will help me in the theft of the design. Thats one thing I cant make up my mind on, mostly external or internal refugium. Keep the pics coming.

Unread 06/11/2010, 12:09 AM   #22
sammy113
Registered Member

Damn that tank looks so good. Congrats on all the new stuff happening. Can't wait to see this build finished. Enjoy this cause this is the most fun part of reefing I think I enjoy it even more than keeping it lol

sammy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2010, 01:39 PM   #23
dragonfish_!
Registered Member

nice work man

life is about the journey not about the destination...
dragonfish_! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2010, 08:25 PM   #24
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Alex the Miracle's tank looks great and you look like your have way to much fun! Keep up the good work.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2010, 10:12 PM   #25
crvz
Team RC Member

You may want to think about a drain for the portable AC unit. Mine actually doesnt drain a lot of water, so I'm able to simply use a bucket, but if you get one with continuous draining (which almost any of them can be retrofitted to do, if it's not a built in feature) that may be a lot easier consider the amount of space you have (dragging an AC unit around for draining purposes may not be suitable).

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote