Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2015, 06:25 AM   #1
stscream4187
Registered Member

Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish

Hey all,

I am beginning to plan for a new tank, which will be a reef somewhere between 250 and 350 gallons. I really love the Whitespotted Pygmy Filefish, especially since they are now captive bred by ORA. I want to start with a group of these and then plan my fish from there, but I am having a hard time finding information out there on these fish and their compatibility.

Does anyone have experience with these? If so, what have you kept with them successfully? What fish should I avoid as tank mates?

Also, I would love to get a group of them, maybe 9 or 10. Any issues with this from your experience?

And if you have a resource for information on these fish I would greatly appreciate it.

Other fish I am considering based on my likes:

Pair of clownfish
Sailfin Tang/Purple Tang
Emperor or Queen Angel
Anthias (still not decided species)

Thanks for reading.

Jeff

stscream4187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 02:10 PM   #2
bat21
Registered Member

It's not the type of fish you buy a group of. Single or pair. I've never heard of them existing in groups. They will also probably not do very well in a tank with tangs and angels and anthias. They are very small and VERY timid.

If you like filefish, then go for the big guy, the tassle filefish. It's a much larger version that would make more sense in a tank that large with large inhabitants.

bat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 02:26 PM   #3
anbosu
Registered Member

My local store suggested keeping them in groups. I never have, though.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 05:25 PM   #4
triksrevival
Registered Member

Ive had two for a few months now, bought as a pair off DD. One of my favorite fish in the tank, they are defiantly not a timid little fish for their size. They eat anything what I feed which is mysis, emerald entrée, and coral frenzy. They also pick at the rock hunting for pods

triksrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2015, 07:18 PM   #5
stscream4187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat21 View Post
It's not the type of fish you buy a group of. Single or pair. I've never heard of them existing in groups. They will also probably not do very well in a tank with tangs and angels and anthias. They are very small and VERY timid.

If you like filefish, then go for the big guy, the tassle filefish. It's a much larger version that would make more sense in a tank that large with large inhabitants.

Do you have any experience with them?

ORA notes on their website that they keep a group of them in a tank......

http://www.orafarm.com/blog/2014/11/...ygmy-filefish/

Unread 07/22/2015, 07:19 PM   #6
stscream4187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triksrevival View Post
Ive had two for a few months now, bought as a pair off DD. One of my favorite fish in the tank, they are defiantly not a timid little fish for their size. They eat anything what I feed which is mysis, emerald entrée, and coral frenzy. They also pick at the rock hunting for pods

Great, thanks. Mind if I ask what size tank and what other fish you keep them with?

Unread 07/22/2015, 08:56 PM   #7
triksrevival
Registered Member

They are in a 75 gallon sps/zoa with a midas blenny, tailspot blenny pair, two clowns, flasher wrasse, and bristle tooth tang. Also they haven't touched any corals like some other filefish do.

triksrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2015, 07:04 AM   #8
stscream4187
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triksrevival View Post
They are in a 75 gallon sps/zoa with a midas blenny, tailspot blenny pair, two clowns, flasher wrasse, and bristle tooth tang. Also they haven't touched any corals like some other filefish do.

Great thanks for the help.

Unread 07/23/2015, 10:36 AM   #9
bat21
Registered Member

The one I had only made it a few weeks after going in my DT. Had trouble competing for food, but it may have had vision issues. It was also wild caught. I'm going to try one of the ORA ones next.

Unread 07/24/2015, 05:35 AM   #10
stscream4187
Registered Member

Quote:
The one I had only made it a few weeks after going in my DT. Had trouble competing for food, but it may have had vision issues. It was also wild caught. I'm going to try one of the ORA ones next.
Thanks, bat21. If you do end up getting one, let me know I am curious as to how your experience will differ.

Unread 08/21/2015, 07:07 AM   #11
bat21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stscream4187 View Post
Thanks, bat21. If you do end up getting one, let me know I am curious as to how your experience will differ.
So I ended up getting that tank raised pair of whitespotted pygmy filefish from divers den. And I could not have been more wrong with what I said earlier in this thread. The original wild caught file that I got definitely had something wrong with it from the start.

These guys though? Oh man, I have never seen such voracious eaters! They don't care who is around them, they dart in and take whatever food I put in there. Pellets, ROE, frozen, live blackworms. And then they also spend the rest of their days picking at algae all over the tank. They poop a ton for such small fish.

I got what was referred to as a bonded pair. And while they have no problems with eachother at all, they don't really pair up. They each do their own thing, which I have no issue with. But they are awesome fish. Great personalities, not timid, and fantastic eaters. I highly recommend them.

Unread 08/21/2015, 08:13 AM   #12
stscream4187
Registered Member

Quote:
So I ended up getting that tank raised pair of whitespotted pygmy filefish from divers den. And I could not have been more wrong with what I said earlier in this thread. The original wild caught file that I got definitely had something wrong with it from the start.

These guys though? Oh man, I have never seen such voracious eaters! They don't care who is around them, they dart in and take whatever food I put in there. Pellets, ROE, frozen, live blackworms. And then they also spend the rest of their days picking at algae all over the tank. They poop a ton for such small fish.

I got what was referred to as a bonded pair. And while they have no problems with eachother at all, they don't really pair up. They each do their own thing, which I have no issue with. But they are awesome fish. Great personalities, not timid, and fantastic eaters. I highly recommend them.
Wow, great to hear! Making me more excited to set up the new tank. What size tank are they in of yours right now?!

Unread 08/21/2015, 09:07 AM   #13
bat21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stscream4187 View Post
Wow, great to hear! Making me more excited to set up the new tank. What size tank are they in of yours right now?!
I have a 66 gallon which they share with a pair of clowns, royal gramma, firefish, possum wrasse, and neon goby. All small and peaceful.

Unread 08/24/2015, 08:38 AM   #14
stscream4187
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a 66 gallon which they share with a pair of clowns, royal gramma, firefish, possum wrasse, and neon goby. All small and peaceful.
Great. Thanks again for the insight.

Unread 09/25/2015, 12:14 PM   #15
makers marc
Registered Member

You need to make sure you don't have too much flow in your tank. I bought one of the ORA white spotted pygmy from my LFS, after reading on the ORA site that they like high flow.

I had 1 x Jebao wp25 on my 75 gallon when I first bought it and for 2 weeks it was happy and eating everything, including tisbe pods on my LR which surprised me. Then after adding a 2nd Jeboao wp25, I noticed it began biting on too the LR and hanging on for hours at a time. When I turned off one powerhead it would let go and resume pecking and swimming. After 1 week with both on, I noticed it starting to "ride the waves" more, it died soon after as it got weaker each day.

Point being, I recommend lower flow tanks for these.

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2015, 07:46 PM   #16
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Sounds like a great fish, now the BIG question

DO THEY EAT AIPTASIA?

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2015, 08:38 AM   #17
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

from what i hear, they do not eat aiptasia sadly. theyre almost too reef safe. i have two in my tank as well, absolutely one of my most favorite fish in the aquarium.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2015, 09:29 PM   #18
bat21
Registered Member

The way mine tear apart live black worms and frequently nip at rocks, I can absolutely see them chowing down on aiptasia. But I don't have any, so, only a guess.

Unread 10/01/2015, 06:55 AM   #19
Dkuhlmann
Registered Member

Bat21.. maybe you could get a rock from a close lfs that is covered in aiptasia to see if it would eat them. This would be the perfect addition to all reef tanks if they do in fact eat aiptasia.

Current Tank Info: 40b 750 gph 45 lbs lr, 2"-3" sand, 165w full spectrum dimable LED, 20 gal sump/refugium 30 lbs lr, Bak Pak 2 skimmer, 4" sock temp 79-80, sg 1.026, NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 <10, ph 8.2, calc 400, mag 1300
Dkuhlmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/17/2016, 11:37 PM   #20
jalisco
Registered Member

Did you ever put together a group of these? Can anyone else comment on the sensativity towards high flow?

jalisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2016, 09:21 PM   #21
bat21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalisco View Post
Did you ever put together a group of these? Can anyone else comment on the sensativity towards high flow?
Can't speak to the group question, but I definitely would not put one in a tank with high flow. They are not the strongest swimmers. But the real issue is that because of their thin flat shape their body acts as a sail in strong currents. My tank is low flow overall, but whenever mine swims past the return pump stream it gets tossed around like like a rag doll.

Current Tank Info: 65g fowlr
Unread 03/18/2016, 09:22 PM   #22
bat21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkuhlmann View Post
Bat21.. maybe you could get a rock from a close lfs that is covered in aiptasia to see if it would eat them. This would be the perfect addition to all reef tanks if they do in fact eat aiptasia.
Haha, I just saw this. Great idea!

Current Tank Info: 65g fowlr
Unread 03/23/2016, 02:45 PM   #23
Myles
Registered Member

I just got a an ORA captive bred from divers den and it's already out and about. I'm all jazzed.
Myles

Unread 01/18/2018, 03:40 PM   #24
makers marc
Registered Member

How are yalls filefish doing?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote