Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2010, 08:47 AM   #51
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

NICE build so far! Will be watching.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2010, 08:19 PM   #52
Dustin1300
Reefaholic

Subscribed Great looking tank and cannot wait to see more progress.

Dustin1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2010, 05:49 AM   #53
KingNeptunesBou
Registered Member

Very nice acrylic work and piping.

Unread 06/25/2010, 09:13 PM   #54
drew8
Registered Member

man thats a lot of work. its looking good

drew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2010, 12:34 PM   #55
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
NICE build so far! Will be watching.
Thanks! Its good to see you back on RC. As I type this I am currently figuring out Eagle to go ahead and order some CAT4101 boards from Seeed. Time to get this LED party started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin1300 View Post
Subscribed Great looking tank and cannot wait to see more progress.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNeptunesBou View Post
Very nice acrylic work and piping.
Thanks! Both acrylic and plumbing can be frustrating but I was by myself when I did those. It made some things dang near impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew8 View Post
man thats a lot of work. its looking good
It sure was, good thing I am taking a well deserved break right now!

-Alex
Taqpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2010, 12:43 PM   #56
Taqpol
Registered Member

Sorry for not replying earlier, I have been a bit busy. On Friday, June 25th I married my amazing fiance and since then we have just been lounging around in Seattle. Tomorrow we get on a plane heading to beautiful Bora Bora where I will definitely not be updating on RC. The good news is that I did bring my underwater camera enclosure (People from the 120 gallon thread should remember it) so once I get back and take some time to go through the pictures I will make sure to post for everyone here what the "most pristine reef in the world" looks like!

-Alex
Unread 06/28/2010, 01:26 PM   #57
stunreefer
Reef Hugger

Have fun Alex, and congrats to both of you!

Make your animals Thrive, not just Survive.
stunreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2010, 08:10 PM   #58
chipsie777
Registered Member

Great work, don't we all wished we planned that well.

chipsie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2010, 04:23 AM   #59
jjstecchino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
Sorry for not replying earlier, I have been a bit busy. On Friday, June 25th I married my amazing fiance and since then we have just been lounging around in Seattle. Tomorrow we get on a plane heading to beautiful Bora Bora where I will definitely not be updating on RC. The good news is that I did bring my underwater camera enclosure (People from the 120 gallon thread should remember it) so once I get back and take some time to go through the pictures I will make sure to post for everyone here what the "most pristine reef in the world" looks like!
Congratulations! Make sure you spend some time with your girl! Underwater photography in Bora Bora can be too tempting and rob too much of your honeymoon time!

Click on my username and 'Visit jjstecchino's homepage!" to view my 180 gallon reef build thread.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef in Infancy
jjstecchino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 01:04 PM   #60
ReefEnabler
Premium Member

Hey Alex the new tank is coming along great! That sump turned out pretty nicely... love the easter egg pin Congrats on the wedding also.

When do you get back in town?? I need to snag that weldon back from you soon so I can make a stand for my ipad

"that is enough skimmate to ruin lives." - GSMguy

Current Tank Info: 220g Display, 70g sump, 35g frag, 50g fuge, 2x250w MH, 1x400w MH, 2x80w T5, 2x140w VHO Actinic
ReefEnabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2010, 01:48 PM   #61
jay29412
Registered Member

nice tank

jay29412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2010, 12:17 AM   #62
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstecchino View Post
Congratulations! Make sure you spend some time with your girl! Underwater photography in Bora Bora can be too tempting and rob too much of your honeymoon time!
Well, no problem with that! I took my camera into the water on my very first snorkel and it is now busted! The enclosure was perfectly water tight, but for whatever reason this time there was an uncharacteristic build up of condensation on the inside and halfway through the trip everything got weird. I think the camera can be fixed, and I might have got some pictures, but I won't know until I get to a computer where I can view RAW formats....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefEnabler View Post
Hey Alex the new tank is coming along great! That sump turned out pretty nicely... love the easter egg pin Congrats on the wedding also.

When do you get back in town?? I need to snag that weldon back from you soon so I can make a stand for my ipad
Thanks! Sorry that you won't be getting that pin back!

I am actually in Seattle right now, flying back into Durham tomorrow. I'll give you a call if I don't hear from you, but would you like me to drop the acrylic parts off on Sunday?

-Alex
Unread 07/13/2010, 10:16 PM   #63
Taqpol
Registered Member

Just thought I'd give a little update as to where I've been. I am now officially a married man and I haven't yet seen any adverse affects to my reefkeeping hobby. Its only been three weeks, though, so we'll see...

Our Honeymoon in Bora Bora was amazing. I have never seen water so clear, and while it was winter down there (which means "colder" weather and a nearly constant wind that can create some chop problems) the snorkeling was absolutely breathtaking. As I alluded to earlier, my camera appears to be busted by the extreme humidity inside the underwater enclosure, but I did get a few good pictures out before the inside of the enclosure fogged up too badly. I will try and post those all within the next few days. All in all, I saw some amazing things:

-I did a shark and ray feeding trip, in which I actually got to touch a 5 foot lemon shark.

-I saw thousands of the most beautiful clams I've ever seen, including a blue Squamosa. Seriously, there were clams EVERYWHERE!

-I fed a Regal Angel and a school of Auriga Butterflyfish from my hand.

-I got bit by a nasty damsel guarding a nest.

-My most memorable, and heart stopping, experience was rounding a corner of a big coral island and coming face to face with a mammoth Titan trigger. Seriously, I thought the damsel fish were scarier then the sharks, but this guy almost made me wet myself. He wasn't going to give up an inch, so I slowly backed away and he didn't pursue me.

Besides that, I don't really know what else to say. If anyone has some questions about anything in Bora Bora or French Polynesia in general, just ask and I'll be happy to tell you what I know/saw.

In fish tank related news, I got home and everything was working perfectly fine. I added four peppermint shrimp and two emerald crabs on Sunday to try and deal with some remnant bubble algae and aiptasia before I get fish and corals back in. I also made a stand and installed my skimmer today, so after it breaks in for a few days we'll see what its capable of.

-Alex
Unread 07/13/2010, 10:49 PM   #64
sammy113
Registered Member

Congrats Alex, sounds like you did have a nice snorkeling trip. Looking forward to the pics

sammy113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2010, 07:23 AM   #65
pcannone
Registered Member

Congrats. Isn't underwater life amazing.

Patrick

Current Tank Info: 220G Saltwater Tank and 90 gallon sump.
pcannone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2010, 07:56 AM   #66
Paolo Piccinell
insatiably curious

Congratulations for Your pretty wife and for the nice tank project.

Quote:
Our Honeymoon in Bora Bora was amazing. I have never seen water so clear, and while it was winter down there (which means "colder" weather and a nearly constant wind that can create some chop problems) the snorkeling was absolutely breathtaking.
I had mine three years ago in Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahiti and Rangiroa... did You see Mantas in Bora Bora?!?
Swimming among them was the best experience of my life (except for my daughter birth!!!).

I'll follow with sincere interest!

Paolo Piccinell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2010, 10:32 AM   #67
prop-frags
SPS Slave

Great update, Alex!
I'm adding Bora Bora to my "bucket list" now!

Current Tank Info: 200g temp garage tank
prop-frags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2010, 03:35 PM   #68
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Ok the honey moon is over.... we need some progress pics .

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2010, 10:44 PM   #69
legolas100
Registered Member

really looking forward to this build dude, loved the last one too

Current Tank Info: Setting up 120G
legolas100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 10:40 AM   #70
reidcrandall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqpol View Post
Congratulations on the marriage! I hope Bora Bora was great. I hope to make it there one of these days. Looking forward to the pics.

Build looks awesome as well!

There is no more red house! Click my name and see my homepage for my 120g Reef w/ custom stand build!

Current Tank Info: 120g Oceanic Tech In Progress
reidcrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/16/2010, 11:18 AM   #71
EliWhitney314
Registered Member

Can't wait to see more photos.

EliWhitney314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2010, 06:42 AM   #72
Padrino
Registered Member

Alex,
I remember reading the first page and a half when you first started this thread and i thought i had posted. I guess something messed up and in turn did not subscribe me. Anyways, great work on the stand, Tank looks great, i live within an hour of mracles aquariums. I only wish that will from aquarium obsessed was still in business as i live one street over from him.

Great work on the acrylic sump and the plumbing from the fishroom to the main display. I really like the trim rings you used there at the wall.

Congrats on the marriage, seems like there are a bunch of us in the same boat. You, reid, myself and others that were all new around the same time to this hobby, are all now married within the last year and now have our own new houses which mean new tanks. I am still working on some other things at the house prior to setting up the new one but ill send you guys the link when it happens. Awesome stuff and keep up the good work and updates.

Rob

Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2010, 10:27 PM   #73
Taqpol
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Piccinell View Post
I had mine three years ago in Bora Bora, Moorea, Tahiti and Rangiroa... did You see Mantas in Bora Bora?!?
Swimming among them was the best experience of my life (except for my daughter birth!!!).

I'll follow with sincere interest!
On one of out tours we were supposed to swim with mantas, but they ended up not being where our tour guide thought they would be. Maybe he wasn't thinking straight on account of his hand getting sliced open by a gigantic sailfin tang. Im actually not joking about that last part, he had to get stitches.

We did have a pair of eagle rays swim around our bungalow one day. They made a few passes and I can honestly say I have never seen a more elgeant creature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Ok the honey moon is over.... we need some progress pics .
They're coming! I haven't been taking as many pics because I've actually been making some good progress! Although I have had a pretty major distraction, pics of that coming soon too...

To everyone else, thank you! Here are the long awaited pictures, coming up!

-Alex

Last edited by Taqpol; 07/23/2010 at 10:37 PM.
Unread 07/23/2010, 10:36 PM   #74
Taqpol
Registered Member

I'm only two weeks late, its time for Bora Bora pictures! My camera actually started working again once I got it back to the states, but it was still behaving very erratically so I had it sent off to Canon for them to take a look at it.

Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday night we had dancers come to our hotel. Definitely a sight to see!

We stayed at two different resorts, but in both of them we had overwater bungalows. The first one was the best for snorkeling, as you walked right off your own dock and into a pretty substantial natural reef area.

On the walkway to the main hotel area you could look over the edge and see fish and corals right next to the shore! I don't know what these fish are, but there sure were a lot of them clustered around both hotels. Also notice the fairly large Acropora.

Walking along the beach there were corals not even two feet from the beach. It was a lower flow area then the reef crest zones, so the coral colors a tiny bit more drab and it tends to be dominated by only a few species.

In the above picture the island in the background was owned by the first hotel we stayed at. If I were ever to go again I think I would try to stay on it because around the backside is a very large reef where I took all of my snorkeling pictures. And yes, the water was actually that blue!

-Alex
Unread 07/23/2010, 10:47 PM   #75
Taqpol
Registered Member

The longer I stayed under water the more my camera fogged up. Basically, most of the pictures near the end were pretty much useless, but on some of the really cool ones I doctored them heavily to try and show what I was seeing. I'll start with those first and save the best ones for last.

~five feet long Moray eel (bottom left):

School of baby Chromis living in the branches of an Acropora:

At our last place we had a pair of these Picasso triggers living under our bungalow. Really neat to watch them interact:

If anyone knows what the name of the wrasse in the bottom right hand corner is, please let me know! These guys were our favorites, they were completely fearless and would follow right behind you to pick out food from the sand we would stir up with our feet.

Clams EVERYWHERE!

Fun fact: One of the nasty damsels pictured here actually bit me when i got too close to its nest and didnt see it posturing.

Unfortunately, those are the only pictures from my camera worth posting. All of this was only a tiny fraction of all the cool stuff I saw, too. I'll take another look through the point and shoot pictures on land and see if there are any real keepers I might want to post up here.

-Alex