Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/10/2018, 09:16 PM   #1
Punchanello
Registered Member

Poly BSP fittings - Clear Silicone?

Hi everyone. Has anyone used clear silicone like Selley's All Clear instead of plumbing tape to join two BSP thread fittings.

I'm fitting a couple of poly material reducing couplings on my return plumbing and heard somewhere that this works quite well.

Wondering if anyone has done this.

Thanks!

My tank build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647315

Last edited by Punchanello; 01/10/2018 at 09:22 PM.
Punchanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 07:52 AM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Never heard of it.. never used it..
Does not seem like its the proper product to use and neither is plumbers tape. (teflon tape)

Teflon tape (plumbers tape) is for metallic threaded fittings only..

You want a non-hardening thread sealant specifically intended for PVC..
(I have no idea what brands of that are available to you in Australia so I can't recommend one but your local hardware store should have on in the plumbing section)

Unread 01/11/2018, 09:34 AM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I worked for a fellow that uses silicone on threads.
Sparingly.

Unread 01/11/2018, 11:45 AM   #4
outy
Moved On

Most bean oil thread compound works great, no need for silicone, as you would never get the thread apart.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 04:20 PM   #5
Punchanello
Registered Member

I think I first heard of the idea from this MACNA video

https://youtu.be/pNYaHGQoPVc

He suggests using silicone on the thread.

Unread 01/11/2018, 05:48 PM   #6
PhishyRupert
Registered Member

Plastic to plastic using silicone has worked in my experience. I have used to seal panworld threaded inlet and outlets to pvc fittings. Been running for years. Silicone peels off easily when I have needed it to. I just have used aqueons tank silicone

PhishyRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 08:01 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchanello View Post

While it can work it is NOT the best to use by any means..

Use a proper non-hardening thread sealant intended for pvc threaded connections and be done with it.. Its easy to find and there is no valid reason to not use it if you have the chance..

Silicone will not reform well once set if its disturbed/taken beyond its strain point.. A thread sealant will as its non-hardening..

Unread 01/12/2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Tom39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchanello View Post

I just watched that video and I found that he shares a lot of good information, like his opinion on check valves. However, I find that his suggestion for the use of silicone sealant as a thread sealant not so good. It kind of reminded me of the State Farm French Model commercial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-pHe879l60
Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
While it can work it is NOT the best to use by any means..

Use a proper non-hardening thread sealant intended for pvc threaded connections and be done with it.. Its easy to find and there is no valid reason to not use it if you have the chance..

Silicone will not reform well once set if its disturbed/taken beyond its strain point.. A thread sealant will as its non-hardening..
I agree with this 100%.

Current Tank Info: 150g Marineland Cube
Tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 02:39 PM   #9
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishyRupert View Post
Silicone peels off easily when I have needed it to.
Most not all. No reason to fight it if you dont have to.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 09:43 AM   #10
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

There is at least one skimmer manufacturer that uses silicone sealant as a plastic thread sealer. It DOES NOT make the threaded parts hard to disassemble. In fact, they're quite sensitive to movement. The initial seal is fine, but since it does adhere well to plastic, even a slight turn of the fitting will 'break' the seal. It's for that reason that I would not recommend it. For said skimmer, I have gradually replaced the silicone with either tape or paste. The other disadvantage is the time required for silicone to cure.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 12:01 AM   #11
Punchanello
Registered Member

Thanks for all the input everyone. In a round-a-bout way it was VERY helpful even if the way I posed the question wasn't.

My real problem is that I have a return pump with a 1 1/2 inch polypropylene outlet and a barbed hose connection. My all-in-one tank is designed with a 1 inch hose return. The hose actually runs up through an ATO reservoir in the back wall so there's just no way I could confidently drill a bigger return input.

I thought I would have to somehow bond pvc pipe to the outlet on the return pump. Then some reducing couplings then a barbed 1 inch hose connection and "voila", 1 inch hose to return input. Since only yet to be acquired alien technology can bond polypropylene to PVC in a wet environment, I listened to YouTube guy at MACNA. Silicone! perfect.

I checked with you guys and most of the advice was along the lines of - you CAN experiment with methamphetamine, but should you? So I kept pondering the problem. I took a really close look at the return pump and cautiously started fiddling with the outlet. Turns out the whole outlet was removable. Just BSP thread and a rubber flange holding it together. Took it to the hardware store and bingo, found the right size PVC coupling, put on the flange and screwed it straight to the body of the pump. Watertight and secure A reducing fitting and a barbed hose adaptor and bingo.

We may feel stupid that the answer was in front of our very eyes. We may not get the answer we want. But all good things come through good advice and contemplation.