Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:53 PM   #1
JoeSalamone14
Registered Member

125 Gallon Sump Build, HELP!

I never really considered the possibility of a sump for my new 125 gallon aquarium (empty 6 footer) until i saw some other successful builds with the sump sitting on the floor next to the tank rather than under it (my stand cannot fit anything larger than a 15 gallon and that is not sufficient for my 125). Basically I drew up a diagram of my current idea. I would love any suggestions/recommendations so that i get the most from my sump system. I did forget a few things that on the diagram:
-How much lower from the top tank frame should i drill my holes?
-I will add in a gate valve close to before where the water will exit the overflow pipes so i can adjust flow.
-The sump is a 40 gallon breeder and i will be buying the fiji cube sump conversion kit for it (for ease of installation)
-What kind of return pump should i get that is not astronomically expensive.

Thank you in advance. I will appreciate any suggestions/recommendations as I cannot afford to have any leaks, overflowing tanks, or catastrophes in general.

I want to do this tank right.

Thanks!
Joe Salamone

JoeSalamone14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 09:54 PM   #2
JoeSalamone14
Registered Member

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:55 PM   #3
JoeSalamone14
Registered Member

How do i post pictures on here....so aggravating. here is the link: https://flic.kr/p/DNhfxR

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:58 PM   #4
Daddi0
Registered Member

I would not add a gate valve to slow overflow out of the tank or you will flood. The amount of overflow will be determined by return pump size and you could add a valve after the return pump to slow flow (but I wouldnt).
Cheers! Mark

Unread 01/13/2018, 09:59 PM   #5
JoeSalamone14
Registered Member

Do you think my setup looks like it would work otherwise? i was only thinking gate valve because thats how it seemed alot of people were controlling noise and such

Unread 01/13/2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Daddi0
Registered Member

I would swap the chaeto and sump. And a little confused on the inner panels with cross pieces. You could always do a CPR overflow box, then you would not have to drill your tank.

Unread 01/13/2018, 10:25 PM   #7
hijinks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSalamone14 View Post
Do you think my setup looks like it would work otherwise? i was only thinking gate valve because thats how it seemed alot of people were controlling noise and such
If you use two overflows then look into the herbie overflow method.. Your primary overflow is gated and the emergency isn't. Its a silent system if setup correctly.

The idea is to match your overflow rate to your return pump rate.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 10:27 PM   #8
Daddi0
Registered Member

On the gate valve and adjusting flow, if you really wanted to you could run a "T" after the return pump and have one leg go to the D/T and the other leg could have a valve and go to the first compartment of your sump. Then if you wanted less flow to the D/T, you could open the valve a little.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 01/13/2018, 10:31 PM   #9
hijinks
Registered Member

Right but the idea of the gate valve on the main overflow is to create a full siphon. Its almost impossible to match the return flow perfectly to a un-gated overflow. If you create a full siphon, your overflow will be silent.

The gate valve allows you to fine tune it perfectly.

hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 10:20 AM   #10
Salty Waffles
Registered Member

I would not tie the two drains together. Asking for trouble.

Look into either a Herbie or Bean Animal style drain system. If you stay with one set of drains, the Bean setup would be safer.

My 6' 125 is an All Glass reef ready. I converted it to a dual Herbie and did a dual return over the back of the tank. It works very well and is practically silent.

Look through this thread. Post #10 will give you the idea.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2635519

Salty Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 11:24 AM   #11
outy
Moved On

Run an external durso for quieter operation. If you don't have a built in overflow.

No gate valves ever, unless you want to vacuum up salt water.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 04:06 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
I would not add a gate valve to slow overflow out of the tank or you will flood. The amount of overflow will be determined by return pump size and you could add a valve after the return pump to slow flow (but I wouldnt).
Cheers! Mark
He said overflow pipes so if he has 2 drains, one could be used as an emergency drain and set higher in the overflow than the primary. You then add a gate valve to the primary drain and close it just enough (for the return pumps flow) to silence the drain. If the drain ever backed up, the emergency drain would handle the overflow and prevent flooding. It’s a simple and great way to have a silent drain setup.

For a 100 gallon display, I would suggest looking at a Fluval SP4. They are inexpensive, efficient, silent and darn near bullet proof. They use an Italian made Askoll block which is a very proven block known to last 10 years or more with occasional maintenance. Oh, and as others mentioned, don’t tie two drains together. If you can use a pair of 1” drain lines, route them to the sump separately and use one for the emergency drain.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote