Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2018, 10:09 PM   #3226
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
Im just glad to finally be a part of your epic thread, Matt!

I assume since you were quoting power draw numbers that your main reason in converting lights was to reduce electrical consumption? But you added 2 more t5s and 4 more primes, which gets back up pretty close to the 3 150s doesnt it? Especially since you really liked that light set up I wonder why the change. I can see bulb replacement as an attractive option, but there again you still added 2 bulbs back in, albeit cheaper.

As for the nutrients, what do you think the difference is between the great looking low nutrient tanks and how yours reacts? It's clearly not just high flux as you have a huge amount of nutrients moving through your system. I'm really curious because i feel like I'm finally to the point on my reef where stuff is starting to do well and not just be the exception. I think its due to raising my nitrates (over 10 now) although I'm struggling to bring phosphates up. I feel like im close to cracking the code, but your reasoning is making me scratch my head a bit for how it applies to my system.
You ask a very solid question about my lights... My tank is in the basement and there is little air circulation in that particular room.. I do have a vent that goes outside and a window air conditioning for summer so it’s not totally closed off but heat can become an issue in summer..
And I’m just looking for efficiencies.
Old:
3 150w mh - 450w
6 t5 - 300 w
4 prime - about 100- 120
Total 850w
New:
8 t5 - 400w
6 Prime - about 150w-180w
Total 550w
The primes are never running near full capacity.. so new lighting is much more efficient.
I’m sort of trying to drag myself into the 21st century of reef keeping..
BUT.. I am not happy with it.. hm....
I’ll have to think about it... but considering I changed my lights and then went and completely changed my nutrient system, I think I’m going to try to ride this out for several months.. I am seeing some promising signs in some corals..

Ok.. nutrients.. I agree with those who say the corals we keep are highly adaptable. They can adapt and become acclimated to conditions that are not those they were born into. But it takes time.
The best looking tanks have parameters that have been that way for a very long time- usually.. whether nutrients are high ish or ultra low..this speaks to two things: 1- stability which leads to two: the corals adapting to conditions available.
The only caveat here, imo, is slowly rising nutrients. I think that corals handle low nutrients, if they’ve acclimate to that just fine and will handle high nutrients if they’ve adapted to them and I find corals often handle slowly rising nutrients as well. But the thing they have the hardest time adapting to is going from high nutrient to very low.. and this is what I have done. So I think it’s going to take a long time for my corps to adapt to the new conditions.. and not all will adapt..
I just so happened to change the two most important environmental elements of my reef at the same time.
I really believe that using my new lights and new water parameters, I can bring the tank back around..
some corals look better and acclimate better to high nutrients and others to low.. same goes for lighting.. some do better and/or look better under various lighting types..
Tony, if you feel positive about the direction your tank is going- if you are seeing positive signs in your tank, don’t waver!! Keep on your track. I like 10ppm for n. I have absolutely no experience with low p.. it’s an issue I’ve never experienced! I’ve always had the opposite. What is your p reading? If you have even a small amount, I wouldn’t to alter it .. it’ll rise with time.. it always does!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 12:07 PM   #3227
pisanoal
Registered Member

Yeah that definitely makes sense on your lighting switch between the heat issues and your power savings. Hopefully you grow tpnlike what the lighting does for your corals and the other benefits you were going for enough not to miss the MH too much. Ive thought about going a very similar direction with my lighting. Im currently running 6xt5 with about 150 watts of diy led strips, but like the idea of replacing the strips with some primes.

As for the nutrients, based on the reading and observing others tanks, im definitely on board with your thoughts. I have yet to have much experience with success on my tanks, but I definitely think my lack of successes were related to undetectable nutrients and not holding them or my lighting the same for long enough.

Currently i havent tested my nutrients in a while, but the last 2 tests, phosphates where pretty low. My nitrates have been slowly going up and phos steadily low. The highest reading i got without looking back at my notes was 12ppb (Hannah url Total P), which equates to .04 ish phosphate. My last test which was over 2 weeks ago was 2 ppb. Something to note is i had a decent amount of cyano back then, and almost none now, so it may have been sucking up phos where it isnt now.

Im definitely inclined not to change anything for a while. I did start dosing some Micro E since my lab test came back low in most of these elements, and dosing some iodine. I also want to start increasing my photoperiod as right now, my t5s are only on for 6 hours.

This tank is also only about 2 months old, but the system is a couple years old (same sump, lots of lr and sand carryover, same lighting etc). Also my success is measured by my corals seem to be happy, about 75 are showing some signs of actual growth, not just entrusting. Colors overall are improving, but some still yet to show much.

Unread 12/20/2018, 08:41 PM   #3228
reefmutt
Registered Member

Sounds like you are on the right track.. I like micro e
I think your p is just fine. I wouldn’t try to artificially raise it. You may regret it...
Even though parts of the system are old, there’s probably been a lot of changes lately and things probably need to settle down a bit..
I think one of the best and worst things about about leds is their adjustability. Allows you to tune them to exactly how you want them but also allows to to constantly tinker which the corals don’t necessarily like..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 12/21/2018, 07:35 AM   #3229
markalot

I really really really want to like LED but I think the resulting light looks like crap. Just not agreeable to my eyes. I run mostly LED now, and 2 blue t5's. It works, and with the T5's on it's a little blue but ok. I tried running my white channel higher and it just looked bad, so while I don't have the Windex look it is noticeably blueish.

My smaller fixture has Mint led's rather than a white channel and it looks a lot better, i can tolerate LED only in that tank. This is an older fixture that has white and Lime and I just can't get the look I want.

Unread 12/21/2018, 09:22 AM   #3230
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
I really really really want to like LED but I think the resulting light looks like crap. Just not agreeable to my eyes. I run mostly LED now, and 2 blue t5's. It works, and with the T5's on it's a little blue but ok. I tried running my white channel higher and it just looked bad, so while I don't have the Windex look it is noticeably blueish.

My smaller fixture has Mint led's rather than a white channel and it looks a lot better, i can tolerate LED only in that tank. This is an older fixture that has white and Lime and I just can't get the look I want.
Hi, what type of LED's are you using?

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2018, 01:36 PM   #3231
markalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Chromis View Post
Hi, what type of LED's are you using?
They are pucks made by NanoBox. I'm not sure of the individual LED makers.

Unread 12/31/2018, 01:25 PM   #3232
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Happy new year Matt.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 03:43 PM   #3233
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Happy new year Matt.
Hey Bulent, thanks! Same to you.
All the best in 2019!

Unread 01/22/2019, 07:18 PM   #3234
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Guys, I figured I’d do a small update.. kind of half arsed phot wise since it’s a mix of iPhone pics and real camera pics..
here are the iPhone ones first.. as we know iphone over saturates everything. I tried to reduce the saturation a bit..
Here’s an fts for starters..

Top downs..

A little closer of that awesome hyacinthus..

And here’s my OP..

Next some real photos.. with real camera a few close ups..

Unread 01/22/2019, 07:27 PM   #3235
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok these shot with my macro lens..
some tenuis..

DARTH!!!

A tort and a planet..

Aussie stag.. growing slowly.

Closer..

This is supposed to be confetti.. right now it’s just tiny..

Recently, things are fairly stable.. p has been right around .07 with heavy rowa phos use. Alk has been steady at right around 7.. p has been climbed to 25ppm.. even with the use of a carbon source.. which was keeping it lower and then inexplicable, it climbed but stopped at 25. I’ve been very slowly increasing the Fauna Marin Bak.. taking it slow..
I started using Fauna’s color elements as well..
Some thing continue to color up, some sit there dormant and many are growing..
I’m not unhappy with the tank.. not blown away yet..

Unread 01/22/2019, 08:29 PM   #3236
markalot

Awesome Matt, nice to see an update.

Unread 01/22/2019, 09:28 PM   #3237
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Awesome Matt, nice to see an update.
Thanks, Mark.. yep.. still plugging away..

Unread 01/22/2019, 10:24 PM   #3238
biecacka
Registered Member

Looking good man! You have em packed in here tight for sure. Will be awesome to continue watching them grow.
Also, how are you liking the FM products? Can you explain a little bit what you are using and the intended purpose of each one. I’m not familiar and I too have low n03 and p04. But, I was thinking I might feed more.

Corey

Last edited by biecacka; 01/22/2019 at 10:31 PM.
biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 08:33 AM   #3239
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Looking good man! You have em packed in here tight for sure. Will be awesome to continue watching them grow.
Also, how are you liking the FM products? Can you explain a little bit what you are using and the intended purpose of each one. I’m not familiar and I too have low n03 and p04. But, I was thinking I might feed more.

Corey
Thanks Corey, yeah, I have a mix of old colonies and new little frags.. it’s a bit weird.. when the frags start to grow it’ll be a tank o sardines..
As for Fauna, I’m not ready to say I love them or not- yet.
When my nutrient were high- n around 20-40 p around .1-.25, I was using no carbon sources but had a cheato fuge going. I was manually dosing several aquaforest products- build, vitality, fluorine, iodine, build as well as Prodibio Bioptim..I would say the tank was looking pretty good but algea issues were always popping up and I was getting sick and tired of all thebmanual labor.
So, I decided to adopt the Fauna line.. I started with Bak and Ultra MINs which are both carbon source nutrient reducers but ultra MINs has some aminos, vitamins and trace elements in it as well to help Coral adapt to dropping nutrients. These products were very efficient as dropping n.. I have to still use large amounts of gfo to hold p below.07..
Well, the corals didn’t like much having their nutrients dropped.. I got some browning and stn.. as well as light stress (but this has to do more with my adding tons more led, which I’ve since reduced)
Anyways that was a couple months ago. Currently, I am still using Bak as a carbon source.. n has climbed back up to around 20 (I’m adjusting Bak accordingly) and adding more light to my cheato..
At one point, n was very low and p was still highish so I started adding Fauna’s Organic- it’s a macro element additive similar to AF’s micro e but with ‘potassium compounds’ which I assume means kno3
My intention was to keep using the Bak as nutrient reducer and then add back some nitrate in the Organic and thereby help naturally reduce p.
It may have worked somewhat because lately n is back up but p is a little easier to control..
I am also using Amin- which is their amino acid complex. This may also be part of the reason my n started to climb....
So in the last month, a few really stubbornly dormant corals have begun to get color back and I’m seeing slightly better pe generally...
The last thing I started was Fauna’s trace element additives called Color elements. There are three bottles containing various trace elements for helping with most basically red, blue and green coloration.
So! I have a four head doser and two individual dosers for:
3 bottles color elements
Bak
Organic
Amin.
Fauna Marin recently changed then formulation of Ultra MINs and now calls it simply MINS.
It is a thick, orange liquid that stinks to high heck and must be added manually with a pipette. It consists mainly of minced arctic krill with added trace elements. I don’t think it can claim to be a nutrient reducer anymore as it is thick with krill corpses!
I also mix Fauna’s Coral Balance (which is a dry form of KZ’s coral snow or AF’s Build) Reef vitality (a bacterial binder which is supposed to attract bacteria and nitrate/po4 and make it consumable for corals) and Coral Sprint (a powdered coral food) - these three I take a couple pinches of and let it get sucked into my gyre to be spread out across the tank... the way I’ve done this - mixing them together in powdered form, may not be entirely condoned by Fauna but I am doing it in an effort to reduce labor...
So there you have it.... a lot of Fauna Marin products....

I have decided to commit to a year of Fauna Marin because I know it can take sps months and months to adapt or die when under new conditions... I want to give it a fare chance...

So it’s a bit less labor intensive than before...
I suppose that if I really wanted easy, I could just stop everything ..... not going there...
Hope this helps!

Unread 01/23/2019, 10:06 AM   #3240
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Thanks for the update Matt. Your tank looks really nice as usual even though you may not be happy with it. We like Matt's tank, don't we people?

Did the algae subside or disappear after starting our new regimen? You will not be disappointed with the FM products. Many reefers in Europe have success with their products.

When you write "P", do you mean Phosphorus, i.e. literally P, or phosphates, i.e. PO4?

Do you have a so-called pearlberry acro in your tank? If so, can I see a close-up picture of it please?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 11:32 PM   #3241
biecacka
Registered Member

Interesting and thank you for the read. I run no carbon or p04 remover. Just an algae scrubber and skimmer. I have been kicking around the idea for awhile to try a product of some sort, but I’m not sure I’m ready to commit to a year like you said. I’m just hoping increasing my feedings a tad bit works.
Either way, your tank is stunning no doubt!!

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 12:39 PM   #3242
sensei
Registered Member

Matt,
your full tank photo looks amaizing.

I have some questions for you.
when you were using the halide bulbs, how often did you changed the bulbs? I have read that once halide bulbs get old the spectrum favors the growth of some algaes. do you since you have a lot of experience with halides, I wanted to know if this is true?

what branad of bulbs did you used?

Thanks

Unread 01/24/2019, 01:25 PM   #3243
Wally.B
Registered Member

Wow Matt,

THE FTS Shot looks Spectacular. Without looking back at past FTS it appears things have really progressed. Colonies and grown quite a bit.

Coral Close-ups as delicious looking as ever, if not better.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2019, 01:29 PM   #3244
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Recently, things are fairly stable.. p has been right around .07 with heavy rowa phos use. Alk has been steady at right around 7.. p has been climbed to 25ppm.. even with the use of a carbon source.. which was keeping it lower and then inexplicable, it climbed but stopped at 25. I’ve been very slowly increasing the Fauna Marin Bak.. taking it slow..
I started using Fauna’s color elements as well..
Some thing continue to color up, some sit there dormant and many are growing..
I’m not unhappy with the tank.. not blown away yet..
Macro Shots even Better. Man I'm jealous!!

I figure you meant N has climbed to 25ppm. Interesting since that's what my Tank won't budge from no matter what I did, so I give up.
P is a easy fix like you are doing with RowaPhos, but N has a mind of it's own.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gal Mixed Tank (T5,Kessil), 110G Custom In-Wall Office Tank (SPS only: T5 DIY Dimmable, Blue LED Strip, EuroReef Skimmer, DIY Doser, Gyre/Hydor Circ, DC Waveline 10,000 Return, Total Automation [Dual Tank SUMP ROOM] )
Unread 01/26/2019, 02:44 PM   #3245
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Thanks for the update Matt. Your tank looks really nice as usual even though you may not be happy with it. We like Matt's tank, don't we people?

Did the algae subside or disappear after starting our new regimen? You will not be disappointed with the FM products. Many reefers in Europe have success with their products.

When you write "P", do you mean Phosphorus, i.e. literally P, or phosphates, i.e. PO4?

Do you have a so-called pearlberry acro in your tank? If so, can I see a close-up picture of it please?
Thanks, Bulent. I do not have the same saturation of color that I had.. I’m hoping it will come back.. assuming it will! It’s oossible it’s still light stress from when I blasted them with too much led for a while. I’m going to raise my lights up a couple of inches this weekend.
Currently I have no algea issues but I do have several tangs and many snails and hermits... not much nuisance algea... but not nine.. there are spots of cyano only in my frag tank which has less flow. There is the odd bubble here and there and recently, I am cleaning the glass more often. I’m sure this is due to the aminos, Organic and color elements.. but none of it is out or ordinary levels.
As for phosphates, I mean phosphates. Po4. I guess I shouldn’t use just P because it really refers to phosphorus, as you pointed out.. it’s a lazyness thing!

As for the pearlberry- which is one of my most favorite acros and one I have yet to successfully keep- yes I have a piece... it has been dormant or just encrustifor several years..
Here’s a pic. Doesn’t anything like it should... if it doesn’t take off this year, Fauna is in the garbage!!

Unread 01/26/2019, 02:55 PM   #3246
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Interesting and thank you for the read. I run no carbon or p04 remover. Just an algae scrubber and skimmer. I have been kicking around the idea for awhile to try a product of some sort, but I’m not sure I’m ready to commit to a year like you said. I’m just hoping increasing my feedings a tad bit works.
Either way, your tank is stunning no doubt!!

Corey
Thanks Corey!
I have always had an algea scrubber and a decent skimmer and they have at times kept nutrients under control and at others, not. But certainly, the scrubber and skimmer have never kept up with my po4 issues. If I stopped using gfo now, my po4 would immediately climb to around .2-.3...
Some would say that’s not a bad thing.. I’ve had them there and had quite nice corals but right now I’m trying a different direction.
As for supplements, one could debate the pros and cons, usefulness/ benefits for hours and many have specific issues they can address in a reef..
Generally, I would say they are not 100% necessary but in the modern era of reefing (which I would call since around 2005) they can certainly develop better colors and health in acros...

Unread 01/27/2019, 08:36 AM   #3247
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Matt,
your full tank photo looks amaizing.

I have some questions for you.
when you were using the halide bulbs, how often did you changed the bulbs? I have read that once halide bulbs get old the spectrum favors the growth of some algaes. do you since you have a lot of experience with halides, I wanted to know if this is true?

what branad of bulbs did you used?

Thanks
Thanks Jorge! I generally went with 12 months... which, considering my mh were only on for like 5 hours a day, was probably earlier than necessary... I do this with my t5 as well..
I was originally using radium 150w de but I couldn’t get those anymore, so started using ushio blue.
Personally I believe that not enough herbivores and poor water conditions are what cause hair algea.. when a system is in balance with proper algea consumers/controllers, I don’t think the lght source makes all that much difference..
Now, having said that, if you look at all the latest fuge lights coming out on the market, they are all red spectrum light sources, so clearly that spectrum, which is devoid of blue (blue being the spectrum that burns out first in mh and t5 bulbs) it is clear that red area of the spectrum will help algea grow..
so technically, if water/system conditions are good for algea growth, old bulbs may help it take over but if the system is well balanced, I don’t think old bulbs contribute much to algea growth...
But algea growth shouldn’t be the motivation for changing bulbs, giving the corals proper, full spectrum, should be the motivation..

Unread 01/27/2019, 08:43 AM   #3248
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Wow Matt,

THE FTS Shot looks Spectacular. Without looking back at past FTS it appears things have really progressed. Colonies and grown quite a bit.

Coral Close-ups as delicious looking as ever, if not better.
Hey Wally, nice to hear from you! Thanks! Some things grow well (too well) and others are torturously slow..
I keep yanking out big colonies to make room for 20 frags...
I am still lacking the proper saturation on many corals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Macro Shots even Better. Man I'm jealous!!

I figure you meant N has climbed to 25ppm. Interesting since that's what my Tank won't budge from no matter what I did, so I give up.
P is a easy fix like you are doing with RowaPhos, but N has a mind of it's own.
Yes! I meant nitrate.
N can be a funny animal.. have you tried a carbon source for reducing n?

Unread 01/27/2019, 02:11 PM   #3249
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Wally, nice to hear from you! Thanks! Some things grow well (too well) and others are torturously slow..
I keep yanking out big colonies to make room for 20 frags...
I am still lacking the proper saturation on many corals...

Yes! I meant nitrate.
N can be a funny animal.. have you tried a carbon source for reducing n?
Interesting you mention that.

After I stopped the Negatively affecting PhosGuard for P reduction.....

I wanted something for N&P control (outside of Algae Scrubber, which wasn't enough)....

I did look into NoPox but read too many negative stories (even though you mentioned it's the Users Use not the product).

So a couple of weeks ago I started AquaForest (BioS Pro + -NPpro).

Nothing drastic is happening, but it will take time, and I am being patient.

Unread 01/27/2019, 02:16 PM   #3250
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Jorge! I generally went with 12 months... which, considering my mh were only on for like 5 hours a day, was probably earlier than necessary... I do this with my t5 as well..
Nice to hear from you Jorge. How is the Tank doing. Still running a Frag Tank, etc.

When I upgraded to my new Tank, I dropped my OLD MH Fixture (Zero Regrets).
Best thing I ever did was going ALL T5 for main lighting. (with complimentary LEDs for Blue/Actinic)
For T5's: Dimmable on 2 Pairs of 54W, and 1 39W, with One Pair 54W not dimmable. (Blue Plus, Coral Plus mix, with 1 Purple Plus)

1 year on T5's is a good change period. Easy to remember and always falls on Boxing day for some better prices.

I used to try to change my T5's every 8 Months on my other tank.

No more....after seeing this BRS Video on how Long T5's actually last (photo Intensity and Color shift)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3F-vpHsiH0