Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2015, 11:25 AM   #1876
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Do your corals survive the dirty water method?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 11:28 AM   #1877
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I don't think I will be able to continue to battle these dinoflagellates. I will be starting my tank over. I have given up. It's a losing battle and my wallet grows more and more thin as I try and try to fight them.

Any ideas how to start over? I'd like to keep the same rocks if possible. How do I clean them? Hydrogen peroxide dip? Vinegar dip? Both? Any help would be great.

Thank you

Unread 09/21/2015, 11:28 AM   #1878
bheron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Do your corals survive the dirty water method?
You know I can't say since I'm pretty much a fish only right now. I have two simple corals that were hurt by the Dinos so hard to say. Dont want to add any coral until I have this nailed down.

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 11:30 AM   #1879
bheron
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think I will be able to continue to battle these dinoflagellates. I will be starting my tank over. I have given up. It's a losing battle and my wallet grows more and more thin as I try and try to fight them.

Any ideas how to start over? I'd like to keep the same rocks if possible. How do I clean them? Hydrogen peroxide dip? Vinegar dip? Both? Any help would be great.

Thank you
Well I've started over so many times over the last 10 years b/c of the aforementioned issues and several other catastrophes. I'm a starting over expert. To your question, check out this thread I started years ago on what to do with your rocks:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ghlight=bleach

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 11:36 AM   #1880
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Did you try dino x before starting over?

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 11:38 AM   #1881
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdude View Post
Did you try dino x before starting over?
No. I have read that dino x only sets that back a little and they end up coming back. And I rather buy Dr time one and only nitrifying bacteria for $17 and cope pods for $15 to start my new tank rather than another $30 for a hit or miss on the dinos.

Unread 09/21/2015, 11:44 AM   #1882
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Thinking about just dipping the rocks in freshwater for about 10 days. This has to kill dinos right?

Unread 09/21/2015, 11:57 AM   #1883
karimwassef
Registered Member

Quote:
I did. The dinos killed it. No green algae left anywhere. my cheato shrank and isn't growing.
How? Cover them up so they don't get light? Poison it?

The scrubber is a very high flow. Dinos shouldn't be able to hold on.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 12:15 PM   #1884
Ser Davos
Registered Member

I am battling dinos right now in my 125g tank/30g sump that is 9 months old. I just had diatoms at first, then one day a jebao wp-40 went out while I was out of town and my tank was covered in brown snotty looking algae when I returned. After this happened, I bought a new RODI unit to switch from tap water (should have did this from the beginning). I started aggressively making water changes to get rid of the tap, even though my nitrates were <5, and phosphates were 0. Well that really set the algae off and at this time I realized it was dinos after searching for an answer... I have every symptom and photos are an exact match.

So far I have:
-Started dosing peroxide at 1ml/10 gallons, around 14ml total split into morning/night. I'm on day 5 of this.
-Did a complete blackout for 2 days. I lost two fish during this time, and almost a third so I had enough.
-Vaccumed sand bed and live rock using a small diameter tube rigged to the handle of my glass scrubbing tool, and a coral feeder (like a turkey baster) to blow the dino off the rocks then suck them up. I ran them through a filter sock with floss inside, then returned the water. I couldn't get them all but it made a dent it seems.
-Cut my skimmer off and stopped water changes, hoping to raise my nitrates.

So far the peroxide is helping, but not wiping them out yet. I'm running my lights for around 3-4 hours a day and some do reappear on the rocks during this time.

I've been reading about adding copepods, phytoplankton, and microalgae to help add diversity to the tank. My question is will the peroxide dosing kill the copepods if I add them soon, or should I wait until I'm finished (at least 2-5 more days).

Ser Davos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 01:02 PM   #1885
Billybatz9
Registered Member

I might as well own one of these at this point. Geesh

Unread 09/21/2015, 01:19 PM   #1886
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Couple days in vinegar then sun dry should be enough

Unread 09/21/2015, 01:40 PM   #1887
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:

Thank you
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm self employed and I hear you on the cost of things being a major factor. I'm waiting to borrow a microscope from someone, and if I find I do have Ostreopsis I may throw in the towel as well.

I would not reuse the rocks. Seriously. Dip corals, sure. (I used Coral RX on every frag that went into my tank..would suggest trying something stronger.)

Dinos really suck
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 01:47 PM   #1888
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Davos View Post

So far the peroxide is helping, but not wiping them out yet. I'm running my lights for around 3-4 hours a day and some do reappear on the rocks during this time.

I've been reading about adding copepods, phytoplankton, and microalgae to help add diversity to the tank. My question is will the peroxide dosing kill the copepods if I add them soon, or should I wait until I'm finished (at least 2-5 more days).
Welcome to the club, sorry you have to be here.

Peroxide at 1mL/10g killed off many/most of the pelagic copepods in my tank. It had no apparent effect on benthic pods. Most commercial pod kits seem to be tigger/tisbe spp. which are pelagic, so I'd wait til you stop dosing to add them. Macroalgae will contain all kinds of microcritters that are good for biodiversity.

hth
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 09/21/2015, 03:44 PM   #1889
karimwassef
Registered Member

Ok. I brought this up a while ago but since I'm not plagued, I don't need to try it out...

Since dinos settle down under light, why not run a dark system with a brightly lit section (big tub or container) with a lot of surface area for them to settle down on. Let it run for a while until the container is plagued with them. Maybe even put lots of eggcrate so they have lots of space to settle down...

Then! Abruptly disconnect the container from the main tank and "export" the dino crop into the drain. Harvest them and throw them away.

Some will remain, but maybe it's enough to give the other inhabitants a step up?

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 03:46 PM   #1890
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

I just dosed Dino x. Here is my before shot. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442871972.483966.jpg

Unread 09/21/2015, 03:57 PM   #1891
garygonzales
Registered Member

Quote:
I just dosed Dino x. Here is my before shot. Attachment 329214
wow .........ok let us know if this works

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 03:58 PM   #1892
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

I'll post again same time Tom. This sux.

Unread 09/21/2015, 04:26 PM   #1893
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll post again same time Tom. This sux.
Whoah, hey, you're supposed to dose Dino X at night.

It's super-powered-radioactive stuff, you did read the instructions, right?

Remove all chemical filtration and stop all additives. Run skimmer wet. Dose by actual water volume, ie tank size minus rock/sand/gear displacement, NOT how big your tank is.

There's a thread when DX just came out, and someone from FM was answering questions. He basically said 'Yeah, dino X and GFO can nuke your tank'.

Ivy

Unread 09/21/2015, 04:28 PM   #1894
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Thanks ivy. All those instructions have been followed. Cross fingers lol

Unread 09/21/2015, 07:54 PM   #1895
LuciDog
Registered Member

I guess I'll pull up a chair and join the club now.

Noticed the Dino's about 2 weeks ago. Currently in a state of blackout (24 hours so far), carbon running, daily filter sock change, increased ph to 8.6...

I read the first 17 pages of this, and the last 4. Seriously helpful stuff.

But it smells to hell right now. Like rotting fish.

LuciDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 07:59 PM   #1896
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Mine stinks too. After I added Dino x

Unread 09/21/2015, 08:34 PM   #1897
LuciDog
Registered Member

I didn't add anything new. Been upping the ph over 7 days, carbon started 5 days ago. Only thing new is darkness.

As much as I hope it's the smell of Dino death, I'm not going to hold my breath... Not after reading what so many have gone through.

Currently going with a clean approach (which I now understand isn't very successful). When this fails me, I'll be getting dirty with these suckers.

LuciDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2015, 08:37 PM   #1898
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

I went dirty. But I think I was too far in. 6 hours in to Dino x and my gonipora that has been closed for two weeks is starting to show signs of life. Even my frog spawns are fully open. Very strange.

Unread 09/21/2015, 10:31 PM   #1899
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks ivy. All those instructions have been followed. Cross fingers lol
Sorry for freaking out at you. Fingers crossed Do have a peek to make sure you haven't had something die. Dinos are stinky but they don't small at all rotten to me.

Last edited by Quiet_Ivy; 09/21/2015 at 10:38 PM.
Unread 09/21/2015, 10:36 PM   #1900
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciDog View Post
I didn't add anything new. Been upping the ph over 7 days, carbon started 5 days ago. Only thing new is darkness.

As much as I hope it's the smell of Dino death, I'm not going to hold my breath... Not after reading what so many have gone through.

Currently going with a clean approach (which I now understand isn't very successful). When this fails me, I'll be getting dirty with these suckers.
Smell is kind of underrated in reefkeeping.

It doesn't get mentioned anywhere, but dinos *do* smell weird. I can smell them when I have the top off my aquarium.

Macroalgae smells weird too. And when the LFS is fragging softies it reeks.

Clean method has worked for a couple of people! They go for removing sandbeds, adding UV, ozone. Don't jinx yourself, you may not have to.

hth
Ivy