Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2018, 08:36 PM   #1
chaaban
Registered Member

First SPS frags, opinions on placement?

Hey guys, I just got my first two corals as a gift and need your help! Where should I place them? I plan on having more SPS corals in the future and don't want these taking over my tank. My lighting is the Sfiligoi T5 halide combo with 250W radium bulb and ATI T5 mixture.

Mystic Sunset Montipora:

Sunset Montipora:

100G cube:

Last edited by chaaban; 11/10/2018 at 09:33 PM.
chaaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 10:22 PM   #2
strout
Registered Member

jmo ,, I wouldn't put them on that big rock scape ,,* if you put them in a spot that they end up liking ,, they will just keep growing and take over ,,, that's their nature ,, if the Par number is right ,, I would put one on that singe piece of rock ,, add another piece of rock for the other one ,,, that second one,, with the green polyps ,, they look awesome ,, but will kill other corals as it touches them,,

This is also jmo I would change up that rock scape if your wanting to add more corals to it ,,, its a bit to vertical for my taste ,,, I like the scape ,, it just needs to be ,,, not so straight up and down ,,,

strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 11:47 PM   #3
chaaban
Registered Member

What’s the difference between the two? How come the green one will kill everything it touches but not the pink one? Also, the small rock scape in the fron it actually 2 sections. Big rock scape in the back and two smaller ones in the front.

Also, the pic seems to be distorted a bit, the scape isn’t as long and skinny vertical as it seems.

Unread 11/11/2018, 01:12 AM   #4
chaaban
Registered Member

Heres a better look at the rock scape showing the 3 separate formations (sorry the lights were off):

Unread 11/11/2018, 07:59 AM   #5
stancfii
Registered Member

Those will do very well at the bottom of the tank. I agree with the above poster. Do your future self a favor and do not put either of them on your main aquascape. I’d put both on either side of the one rock and let them duke it out later.

Unread 11/11/2018, 09:04 AM   #6
chaaban
Registered Member

Should I put the Pink one on the medium rock up front and the green one on the tiny rock at the very front ? Or both on the medium rock upfront and let them meet in the middle over time?

Unread 11/11/2018, 03:28 PM   #7
NaturalReef
Registered Member

First, nice looking frags! They will grow well. That being said, I agree with the above posts. I put them on my main rocks with a previous tank and they took over and covered 95% causing placement issues for future acros which you WILL get into Small island rocks or one rock would look cool with the contrast between them. Enjoy the addiction!

NaturalReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 10:12 PM   #8
strout
Registered Member

I am goin to stick with jmo ,, it just seems a bit to tall ,, a bit to straight up & down ,,, maybe take those top few pieces ,,, move them down to the sand bed in the center front of your scape ,, go with a a top piece that is more of a shelf piece ,, the rock scape you have jmo ,, those rocks have a lot of side to them that will limit where you can mount corals ,, if you moved those pieces out just a bit ,,, kinda like a Christmas tree ,,, you will gain coral mounting room ,,, once the sps coral bug hits you ,,, and it will lol ,, you will be trying to find coral mounting room ,,, the trick is to know when to say ,,, enough is enough

Last edited by strout; 11/11/2018 at 10:44 PM.
strout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 07:08 AM   #9
reefmutt
Registered Member

I agree with most of what’s been said here. Those months are nice but when they get happy and growing, they are like steam rollers. They will grow over any sps.
If sps is really your plan, acros like to grow up into open water, mostly. Many will plate outward but they are light and flow lovers and if you put them on top of an awuascape that is already high, they will have nowhere to go..
I’d also say lower the scape and keep the montis to themselves.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 04:51 PM   #10
chaaban
Registered Member

I will take everyones advice on the scape, however, I plan to keep it the way it is and add rock on the right of the large scape.

Heres where I placed the montis, will they basically grow into each other forming a division?

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 11/12/2018, 07:59 PM   #11
reefmutt
Registered Member

Eventually they’ll meet and probably try to grow over each other. Should make for some interesting growth formations.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 09:34 PM   #12
chaaban
Registered Member

I'm trying to find pictures of a couple similar to mine after forming together. At any rate, it sounds like I put it in a proper spot now