Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/01/2018, 03:02 PM   #1
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Lets talk humidity

Hello RC,

I'm getting my feet wet again with a 300g in wall build. I'm at the beginning stages of the project.

I need to get hear from the large tank community in regards to humidity in the fish room and how you go about mitigating it.

one of the walls to my soon to be fish room will be an outside wall in which I plan to install a bathroom exhaust fan, right now my plan is to get a humidity switch that will activate the fan when it reaches a certain threshold and turn off when it drops below said threshold.

My question is, what is the preferred method in which to do this? and are their products out there that work better in an environment such as a fish room?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 03:10 PM   #2
JaySchulz
Registered Member

IMO opinion this question is really dependent on where you live. If you live in an area with high humidity like me that won’t work. You’re in Arizona so I’m assuming your relative humidity is very low. A bathroom and humidistat will work great for you. Also remember that when you suck air out of the house you create a negative pressure situation which in turn sucks hot outside air into your house. A dehumidifier would also work great. Possibly even an air exchanger.

JaySchulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2018, 03:13 PM   #3
Sisterlimonpot

great point abour sucking warm air back into the house, I was thinking along those lines but I wasn't looking big picture, I was thinking only about sucking cooler air from the main house into the fish room thus cooling it down (this would only be a problem in the summer time when the temp is above 100's)

Dishes are done man!

Unread 03/01/2018, 07:33 PM   #4
David MC Lee
Registered Member

I ran my 800G tank in a room that was 9'x12' for several years with zero mold growth in the room. The tank was 5' x 10' so I had 50 square feet of open water in the room. I never used a dehumidifier. I live in Illinois and the humidity can be very bad outside. The fish room was more or less sealed off from the rest of the house. I painted the room white so I could easily detect any mold growth. In the summer months I ran a window AC unit that would help to cool the tank but also pulled out humidity. The house had a vented crawl space and I ran a duct from the room floor to a fan tech blower fan. This would pull air out down into the crawl space and then through a vent opening to the outside. I had another hole in the floor that would allow crawl space air to come into the room. The fan is not like a bathroom fan. It is like a 10X Bathroom fan. It was on a temperature controller. Anytime the room was over about 80 degrees would kick on full. When the temperature was good the fan would switch to a low speed. THE FAN ALWAYS RAN. I also typically ran a small cheap Walmart fan to just blow air around the room and would replace it every 6 to 9 months due to rust from salty air. I believe the key here is constant air circulation. Also note the air exit vent pulled from on top on the tank through a duct to the floor.

David MC Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 02:45 PM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I have about 1000g of water in my fish room and the humidity is controlled by a dehumidifier. Has worked great for the last 2.5 years, my furnace is in the same room as the water so that helps too

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 11:03 AM   #6
gargoylenest
Registered Member

same here, even though tank is not as big. Using a dehumidifier and its working with no issue. Always keep a hygrometer just in case, but never had issue. Anyway, all gypse boards are mold resistant, and paint over it too.

gargoylenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2018, 06:51 PM   #7
jgal912
Registered Member

Dehumidifiers work great, but I use bathroom fan in my fishroom and it works great

jgal912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2018, 10:57 AM   #8
Sisterlimonpot

I'm still leaning towards an exhaust fan hooked to a humidity switch. I have been looking at dehumidifiers... but if I were to go that route I would just add an air conditioning unit and get the best of both worlds. If that were the case, I have 2 portable units that we bought years ago when we lived in base housing.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 09/02/2018, 07:51 PM   #9
JonMc
Registered Member

i am curious, if a person used a dehumidifier in the room can you use the water collected from it to fill the tank system?

JonMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 07:52 PM   #10
David MC Lee
Registered Member

No it may have copper in it from the coils.

David MC Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2018, 09:27 PM   #11
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMc View Post
i am curious, if a person used a dehumidifier in the room can you use the water collected from it to fill the tank system?
No, there's so many impurities in that collected water. If you were to use it, I would use it to water plants

Dishes are done man!

Unread 09/03/2018, 12:03 PM   #12
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

It shouldn't be an issue in Arizona. Basically, your tank becomes a helpful humidifier for the rest of your house. If you worry about it getting too high in your fish room, just vent it to your house.

It sounds like a great project! Got a link for the build thread?

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Sisterlimonpot

Yep, right here

Dishes are done man!

Unread 09/17/2018, 11:46 PM   #14
icerain29
Registered Member

I’m from Canada, a fish tank helps a lot during the winter

icerain29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 04:30 AM   #15
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerain29 View Post
I’m from Canada, a fish tank helps a lot during the winter
My chief concern wasn't so much comfortability of the house as it was to remove conditions that would promote the growth of mold in the equipment room.

Although after running for a few short months through the summer, according to our nest thermostat, I was able to see that the overall humidity downstairs has been higher this year than last by an average of 12% and upstairs about 5%.

Dishes are done man!