Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/05/2012, 04:50 PM   #2376
medic155
Registered Member

Haven't made any purchases, tank should start cycling in the next 2-3 weeks.

55g with 29g sump/fuge
100lbs live rock
Total 80lbs live sand between sump/fuge

Also a AquaClear 20 that will be removed for QT tank, running in sump when QT isn't running. Potential fish list:

2 Occellaris Clownfish
2 Banggai Cardinal's
1 Firefish
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 White Banded Possum Wrasse
1 Tiger Watchman Goby

Unread 05/05/2012, 05:45 PM   #2377
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic155 View Post
Haven't made any purchases, tank should start cycling in the next 2-3 weeks.

55g with 29g sump/fuge
100lbs live rock
Total 80lbs live sand between sump/fuge

Also a AquaClear 20 that will be removed for QT tank, running in sump when QT isn't running. Potential fish list:

2 Occellaris Clownfish
2 Banggai Cardinal's be sure it is male plus female pair
1 Firefish
1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 White Banded Possum Wrasse
1 Tiger Watchman Goby
Your stocking list is excellent. Remember not to cycle with fish; use a piece of shrimp in a nylon or add some flake food.

Unread 05/05/2012, 10:22 PM   #2378
Proseph
Registered Member

7 month old 29G Cube mixed reef.

Ive been stocking tisbe pods in hopes of sustaining a red scooter (dragonet) Ive also read in to and purchased Nutramar Ova, LA swears by this stuff when it comes to feeding dragonets.

What are you thoughts, is it feasible?
Also looking to add a 20 to 30g sump in the fall.

Unread 05/06/2012, 05:12 AM   #2379
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proseph View Post
7 month old 29G Cube mixed reef.

Ive been stocking tisbe pods in hopes of sustaining a red scooter (dragonet) Ive also read in to and purchased Nutramar Ova, LA swears by this stuff when it comes to feeding dragonets.

What are you thoughts, is it feasible?
Also looking to add a 20 to 30g sump in the fall.
Red scooters are a bit easier than mandarins but I am always reluctant to recommend any dragonet in a small tank because the odds are not in your favor. If you decide to do this anyway, you must feed multiple times per day and have a very peaceful non aggressive tank

Unread 05/07/2012, 10:48 AM   #2380
elcucuu
Registered Member

Hi Steve I posted a list before but as many of us do, we change our mind. This is my wish list for a 90 gallon mix reef tank. Inverts consist of snails, crabs and blood red fire shrimp

I would like to know will I have any compatibility issues and would this be overstocking the tank.

1 Picasso Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
1 Snowflake Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
1 Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
3 Vanderbuilt Chromis (Chromis vanderbuilti)
1 Ignitus Anthias (Pseudanthias ignitus)
1 Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) (after 6 months)

Thank you for your help

Unread 05/07/2012, 12:10 PM   #2381
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcucuu View Post
Hi Steve I posted a list before but as many of us do, we change our mind. This is my wish list for a 90 gallon mix reef tank. Inverts consist of snails, crabs and blood red fire shrimp

I would like to know will I have any compatibility issues and would this be overstocking the tank.

1 Picasso Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
1 Snowflake Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
1 Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
1 Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
3 Vanderbuilt Chromis (Chromis vanderbuilti)
1 Ignitus Anthias (Pseudanthias ignitus)
1 Green Mandarin (Synchiropus splendidus) (after 6 months)

Thank you for your help
Many come back multiple times and it is always my pleasure to evaluate. That stocking list should be fine. I personally avoid crabs, however.

Unread 05/07/2012, 01:44 PM   #2382
elcucuu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Many come back multiple times and it is always my pleasure to evaluate. That stocking list should be fine. I personally avoid crabs, however.
Thanks for the advice. Do you mean all crabs in general or specific? I was looking at Red Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab as the only crab.

Unread 05/07/2012, 02:32 PM   #2383
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcucuu View Post
Thanks for the advice. Do you mean all crabs in general or specific? I was looking at Red Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab as the only crab.
All crabs. Hermit crabs kill snails for their shells.

Unread 05/07/2012, 02:43 PM   #2384
mandlou
Registered Member

Hi I posted a thread in the reef section regarding the compatibility of a Chaetodon kleini and Prognathodes Aculeatus, and it was suggested that I should post here.

My tank is 220l (L100xW40xH70cm) with approx 20kg of live rock, currently running an external filter with biopellets & carbon, but will be adding a small fuge (approx 40l) in the next couple of months.

Current fish stock is:

1 x Possum wrasse (Wetmorella)

2x Green Banded Goby (Elacatinus multifasciatum)

Planned fish stock is

1x Blue Assessor (Assessor macneilli)
1x Tail spot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
Small school (3-5) Cardinals - Probably pyjama (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Red Mandarin
Butterfly (or 2 to be decided upon - obviously)
Dwarf Angel, Probably Rusty (Centropyge ferrugata)

Corals are/will be a mix of mostly softies and lps although I do have a couple of sps.

As said above I am wondering whether I could have both the butterflyfishes, I know the Kleins is said to do well with other bff but the only info I can find on the aculeatus is that they do not mix well with their own kind in captivity.

Thanks your for you help.

(this is an excellent thread by the way)

Last edited by mandlou; 05/07/2012 at 02:58 PM.
Unread 05/07/2012, 05:50 PM   #2385
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandlou View Post
Hi I posted a thread in the reef section regarding the compatibility of a Chaetodon kleini and Prognathodes Aculeatus, and it was suggested that I should post here.

They would normally be fine in a larger tank; Prognathodes Aculeatus may or may not get along with other butterfly fish but they are considered quite hardy.

My tank is 220l (L100xW40xH70cm) with approx 20kg of live rock, currently running an external filter with biopellets & carbon, but will be adding a small fuge (approx 40l) in the next couple of months.

Current fish stock is:

1 x Possum wrasse (Wetmorella) excellent fish

Planned fish stock is

Red Mandarin marginal in your sized tank unless it has a refugium which should be allowed to mature for a few months

Corals are/will be a mix of mostly softies and lps although I do have a couple of sps.

While Prognathodes Aculeatus is safe with caution, on the other hand Chaetodon kleini is not nor is Centropyge ferrugata. LPS especially would be at risk.

As said above I am wondering whether I could have both the butterflyfishes, I know the Kleins is said to do well with other bff but the only info I can find on the aculeatus is that they do not mix well with their own kind in captivity.

meaning another of the same species but it may not work; I have never kept this particular fish

Thanks. And thanks for using "real names" as common names are more difficult for me to remember as there are so many "variations".

Last edited by snorvich; 05/07/2012 at 06:03 PM.
Unread 05/07/2012, 08:43 PM   #2386
LitiGATOR
Registered Member

wrong section

Last edited by LitiGATOR; 05/07/2012 at 08:56 PM.
Unread 05/07/2012, 10:55 PM   #2387
jonathansruelas
Registered Member

135 gallon reef tank. 40 gallon sump w refugium. around 100lbs or LR in both sump and display. have around 2000 gph of flow. 2 big cleaner shrimps, and maybe 40+ snails.
I currently have a one-spot foxface, a flame angel, a pinstripped wrasse, a golden wrasse, a clarkii, and a bluejaw trigger which is the least aggressive of the bunch.

I was wondering if I could add a purple tang, lawnmower bleny, a falco hawkfish, pinkspot goby, or a snowflake eel. The eel is most likely a long shot since Im thinking he'll be candy for the trigger.. I want the purple tang for sure and he is going to be the last fish introduced with another one the fishes above..
thanks for your help

What would Nemo do?

Current Tank Info: 126 gallon mixed Reef,150 Cichlid tank, 55 gallon QT
Unread 05/08/2012, 04:36 AM   #2388
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathansruelas View Post
135 gallon reef tank. 40 gallon sump w refugium. around 100lbs or LR in both sump and display. have around 2000 gph of flow. 2 big cleaner shrimps, and maybe 40+ snails.
I currently have a one-spot foxface, a flame angel, a pinstripped wrasse, a golden wrasse, a clarkii, and a bluejaw trigger which is the least aggressive of the bunch.

I was wondering if I could add a purple tang, lawnmower bleny, a falco hawkfish, pinkspot goby, or a snowflake eel. The eel is most likely a long shot since Im thinking he'll be candy for the trigger.. I want the purple tang for sure and he is going to be the last fish introduced with another one the fishes above..
thanks for your help
A Halichoeres melanurus is not really safe for shrimp and a hawkfish would also fall into the same boat. I would not add the eel but the purple tang and goby should be fine.

Unread 05/08/2012, 04:58 AM   #2389
mandlou
Registered Member

Thank you for your help, I would just like to clarify a few points with you if I may?, Sorry I have a tendency to triple check everything, sorry not sure why not all your text is showing in magenta, I have added all my new text in blue hope this isn't too confusing to trawl through

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandlou

They would normally be fine in a larger tank; Prognathodes Aculeatus may or may not get along with other butterfly fish but they are considered quite hardy.

Current fish stock is:

1 x Possum wrasse (Wetmorella) [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]excellent fish[/COLOR] Thank you, I love him

Planned fish stock is

Red Mandarin [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]marginal in your sized tank unless it has a refugium which should be allowed to mature for a few months[/COLOR], I will ensure my refugium has been up and running for 6 months before adding this one

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]While Prognathodes Aculeatus is safe with caution, on the other hand Chaetodon kleini is not nor is Centropyge ferrugata. LPS especially would be at risk. [/COLOR][/COLOR] I do not mind some coral nipping as this is in fact the natural behaviour we wish to observe when keeping animals however if you feel either of these species are likely to completely strip my corals in a matter of days please tell me and I will reconsider

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]meaning another of the same species but it may not work; I have never kept this particular fish [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Do you think attempting to keep both would be too high risk then?

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Thanks. And thanks for using "real names" as common names are more difficult for me to remember as there are so many "variations".[/COLOR][/COLOR] Your welcome I have found using "real names" to be best after posting on a uk forum with regards to the aculeatus describing both by it's real name and as a 'Caribbean Longnose Butterfly', I was excited to find a lady who was about to get one (they do not seem popular at all in the UK) only to discover when she posted a picture of her new fish that it was in fact a Forcipiger longirostris

Unread 05/08/2012, 06:41 AM   #2390
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Thank you for your help, I would just like to clarify a few points with you if I may?, Sorry I have a tendency to triple check everything, sorry not sure why not all your text is showing in magenta, I have added all my new text in blue hope this isn't too confusing to trawl through

I post (in this thread) all my replies in magenta to differentiate them easily from the original question. I would appreciate your NOT using blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandlou

Current fish stock is:

1 x Possum wrasse (Wetmorella) [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]excellent fish[/COLOR] Thank you, I love him

Planned fish stock is

Red Mandarin [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]marginal in your sized tank unless it has a refugium which should be allowed to mature for a few months[/COLOR], I will ensure my refugium has been up and running for 6 months before adding this one

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]While Prognathodes Aculeatus is safe with caution, on the other hand Chaetodon kleini is not nor is Centropyge ferrugata. LPS especially would be at risk. [/COLOR][/COLOR] I do not mind some coral nipping as this is in fact the natural behaviour we wish to observe when keeping animals however if you feel either of these species are likely to completely strip my corals in a matter of days please tell me and I will reconsider

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]meaning another of the same species but it may not work; I have never kept this particular fish [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Do you think attempting to keep both would be too high risk then?

In a larger tank it would most likely work, but in a smaller tank, I would be leery

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Thanks. And thanks for using "real names" as common names are more difficult for me to remember as there are so many "variations".[/COLOR][/COLOR] Your welcome I have found using "real names" to be best after posting on a uk forum with regards to the aculeatus describing both by it's real name and as a 'Caribbean Longnose Butterfly', I was excited to find a lady who was about to get one (they do not seem popular at all in the UK) only to discover when she posted a picture of her new fish that it was in fact a Forcipiger longirostris
Forcipiger longirostris is excellent but gets largish and is about as close to reef safe as butterfly fish get

Unread 05/08/2012, 07:09 AM   #2391
mandlou
Registered Member

Sorry I understand that you use magenta so that your responses stand out. That was why I apologised that they were not still all magenta when I copied the post again. I don't know why this happened and I tried but sadly failed to change them back.

Sorry also for using blue I only did this in an attempt to make it easier for you to see where I had added new comments, it was an attempt to assist you to assist me, not to cause offence or upset an existing system.

Unread 05/08/2012, 07:25 AM   #2392
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Sorry I understand that you use magenta so that your responses stand out. That was why I apologised that they were not still all magenta when I copied the post again. I don't know why this happened and I tried but sadly failed to change them back.

Sorry also for using blue I only did this in an attempt to make it easier for you to see where I had added new comments, it was an attempt to assist you to assist me, not to cause offence or upset an existing system.
I know you were trying to be helpful. The issue is I am color blind and "blue" and "magenta" are difficult for me to differentiate.

Unread 05/08/2012, 07:40 AM   #2393
mandlou
Registered Member

Sorry, it was an attempt to make your life easier but clearly only made it harder, I will be sure to stick to black in future.

Well done again on an excellent thread, your dedication to this is quite admirable, it must take up an awful lot of your time.

Unread 05/08/2012, 07:43 AM   #2394
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Sorry, it was an attempt to make your life easier but clearly only made it harder, I will be sure to stick to black in future.

Well done again on an excellent thread, your dedication to this is quite admirable, it must take up an awful lot of your time.
Thanks. It is my small way of "giving back" since people were kind enough to help me.

Unread 05/08/2012, 04:48 PM   #2395
SKurj
Registered Member

Hi Steve..

Well you know what they say about the best laid plans...

Anyways, it seems some of my planned stock isn't going to happen, so .. onto other residents!

Current stock in a 40g long (2 months old this weekend):

1 x Hector's Goby
1 x Gold Neon Goby
a few snails
some LPS, and softies

Currently in QT:
coming out this weekend 2 x Black Snowflake clown Juvies
coming out in 4 weeks (he eats anything and everything so far.. and has been in QT 3 days..) 1 x Hoeven's Wrasse 2" or so

Residents being considered:

Starry Blenny
flameback angel (fully aware of reef compatibility)

I am aware of the dwarf angel's possible tendency to go for corals, I just wish to know if these fish will get along.

This will fill the tank and will be the final stocklist.

Thanks Steve, not enough can be said about this service you provide!

Current Tank Info: 40g Long sumpless
Unread 05/08/2012, 05:40 PM   #2396
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKurj View Post
Hi Steve..

Well you know what they say about the best laid plans...

Anyways, it seems some of my planned stock isn't going to happen, so .. onto other residents!

Current stock in a 40g long (2 months old this weekend):

1 x Hector's Goby
1 x Gold Neon Goby
a few snails
some LPS, and softies

Currently in QT:
coming out this weekend 2 x Black Snowflake clown Juvies
coming out in 4 weeks (he eats anything and everything so far.. and has been in QT 3 days..) 1 x Hoeven's Wrasse 2" or so

Residents being considered:

Starry Blenny
flameback angel (fully aware of reef compatibility)

I am aware of the dwarf angel's possible tendency to go for corals, I just wish to know if these fish will get along.

This will fill the tank and will be the final stocklist.

Thanks Steve, not enough can be said about this service you provide!
I think that will be fine. Flameback angels are one of the better behaved, but there is no guarantee.

Unread 05/09/2012, 07:47 AM   #2397
rogermccray
Registered Member

I am currently downgrading from a 205 gallon bowfront to a standard 125 gallon tank and wanted to check my proposed list for that tank.

Currently in the system
Occelaris Clown (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
blue/green chromis (Chromis viridis)
Lawnmower Blenny (Salarias fasciatus)

The rest of the proposed stocking list is as follows.
4x carberryi anthias (Nemanthias carberryi)
Red Mandarin (I have a refugium that has been online for eight months now)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Gold Assessor Basslet (Assessor flavissimus)
Yellow Prawn Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) how much of a sand bed is needed for one of these? would it be good to build "homes" for it in the sand?

Inverts
Pink Anemone (currently in the system)
Fire Shrimp (currently in the system)
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp x2

Thanks again!

Unread 05/09/2012, 09:08 AM   #2398
Jarred1
Registered Member

I am looking for some fish for my new tank, it's a 40 breeder SPS dominated tank. I am looking for active fish, no clown fish. The tank is about two months old and I won't be adding any fish for another two months because I made the mistake of putting fish without qting them and they had ich and black ich. Right now I have a yasha goby sitting in my qt tank and a starry blenny in a smaller reef tank that I may put in the new tank. Will the starry blenny and the midas blenny get along with each other?

So far I would like to get:
Centropyge eibli
Midas blenny
Some kind of anthias (my LFS can get them when they are less than an inch long and feed them all day long)

Let me know what you guys would suggest me putting or not putting in my tank?

Thanks in advance
Jarred

"It happens, and as long as the clowns out there keep paying top dollar, they will stay top dollar. Just a way of life, imagine how much cheaper a Tahoe or Yukon would cost if the word "bling" was never invented..."
Unread 05/09/2012, 09:43 AM   #2399
shiogama
Registered Member

sixline wrass or manderine?

I have a 180 g live rock with sump. I currently have 9 fish and a bunch of corals mostly lps zoa/palys and a few sps.
I am looking to get a sixline wrass or a mandarin to take care of my bristle worm problem and to thin out the coepod population. Which would be better

Unread 05/09/2012, 10:39 AM   #2400
jonathansruelas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
A Halichoeres melanurus is not really safe for shrimp and a hawkfish would also fall into the same boat. I would not add the eel but the purple tang and goby should be fine.
Thanks, I ended up doing the purple tang and lawnmower blenny. Now trying to get them to eat, so far they're not biting

What would Nemo do?

Current Tank Info: 126 gallon mixed Reef,150 Cichlid tank, 55 gallon QT
Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility