Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/21/2018, 10:08 PM   #26
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoe View Post
https://www.amazon.com/SpectraPure-S.../dp/B009139YM2

Problem solved going in. With water changes it will dilute out in the DT.
I am running silica buster cartridge as of now. I've cut my lighting back to mainly blues 8 hrs. lowered whites to 1 and 4 percent for 4 hours divided and it has helped a lot. My thing is that I just put my tank back up about 4 months ago and before that it was up for almost 7 years. The whole 7 years I pretty much had to clean the glass daily for it to look appealing. Not happening again and I'll build until it stops. System is coming along good and I believe 170 gallon sump for a 65 gallon display should be able to cure algae problems in the long run. Haven't made a video lately but here's when I first fired it up a few weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/g063ieZ4Y6s

incloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 10:25 PM   #27
bertoni
RC Mod

I doubt that silica is the problem. I'd look for some other cause. The water for changes can have a wide range of nutrients in it.

Unread 04/21/2018, 10:32 PM   #28
schwantz
Registered Member

The Silica could be leaching from the sand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

schwantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 10:45 PM   #29
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I doubt that silica is the problem. I'd look for some other cause. The water for changes can have a wide range of nutrients in it.
I'm talking with my water department Monday to have them test my water.

Unread 04/21/2018, 11:41 PM   #30
Dsekula
Registered Member

Silicates are naturally found in water, many different phosphate "removing" filtration materials will bind them with phosphates. Once you bind them you must "catch" the silicates in a filter material. This could be accomplished with a substance like gfo and filter paper in the effluent of the in line filter for an example.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 11:45 PM   #31
Dsekula
Registered Member

Just an fyi, as a water operator, if you call the water department they may or may not test your water since silicates arnt regulated in most places. If they do you will most likely pay a decent fee for this. Your best bet is to call up a local lab that is certified for water analysis and just have the test run.
Just some insight from the person answering the phone call

Unread 04/21/2018, 11:53 PM   #32
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
Just an fyi, as a water operator, if you call the water department they may or may not test your water since silicates arnt regulated in most places. If they do you will most likely pay a decent fee for this. Your best bet is to call up a local lab that is certified for water analysis and just have the test run.
Just some insight from the person answering the phone call

Thanks for the heads up. I have a friend who works for the city so I'll see what he can find out.

Unread 04/22/2018, 02:12 AM   #33
Dsekula
Registered Member

The specific person you would want to speak with is your licensed water operator. If your lucky someone else might have half a clue what goes on with your water but ime usually they don't. The water operator is the person legally responsible to ensure you have quality water if they don't the state can and will revoke their license. If you miss one half credit hour by a day for continuing education they revoke it and you have to sit the boards again, it's something the state and feds don't mess around with. My point is that person absolutely has to be responsible for quality and information, it's what their paied to do. If you can get in contact, that's the person you want. That's who you want your friend to put you in contact with. If it's a big plant there may be more than one licensed operator but there always has to be one specic lead operator in charge of process control decisions.

Out of curiosity, what is your po4 out of the tap? They could be adding an ortho-polyphpsphate for squstration of metals like iron or mangnese or just for corrosion control. I've seen these run up to 8.00ppm at tap and that could absolutely use up your filter within a few (10-20) gallons if your using one of those little aquarium units.

Unread 04/22/2018, 02:29 AM   #34
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incloud View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I have a friend who works for the city so I'll see what he can find out.
Also, looking back I don't see the age of your system. You are aware that even with perfect water silicates and phosphates could leach back into the system from rock and sand, right? I've had this happen in decreasing levels for up to a year with a new build.

Unread 11/15/2018, 05:50 PM   #35
incloud
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
Hard to say what organism is growing on your rock without a microscopic look at it. If it is a diatom reducing silica will help, otherwise if it is an algae, reducing silica will not help.

There is no miracle cure for algae, dinoflagellate & cyanobacteria & diatom pests in a reef tank.

The bottom line is that you want to reduce nitrate, phosphate, dissolved organics and suspended organics. You need to say no to all pests present in your tank and all debris in your tank. Keep a spick and span tank including the sand bed and glass. This will need to be completed often to erradicate these type of pests.

There are a lot of hobbyists in your same position. Reducing your nitrate and phosphate levels to a zero reading will help in getting rid of many type of algae and/or cyanobacterial pests. IME, reducing nitrate and phosphate levels too low can kill or cause problems for many types of soft coral. Running GAC & GFO will all help in reducing the growth of these type of pests. In many cases they will not eradicate the pest even when phosphate and nitrate are extemely low. Vinegar and/or Vodka dosing will help reduce the nitrate and phosphate levels also, but will not necessarily eradicate the pest either.

A common problem is being able to identify your pest to a category correctly: true algae, cyano, dino, bacteria & other assorted pests that look similar. In many cases a micro look at your pest is best to properly ID it to one of these categories.

IMHO, if you are faced with an algal type pest problem, it is best to implement an algae pest control program strategy:

1) Wet skimming with a good quality skimmer. Clean your skimmer cup at least once per week.

2) Reduce your nitrates and phosphates to a zero reading using the hobby grade test kits. See Randy's articles regarding this:

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2003/chem.htm

3) Proper lighting. I find that the higher wavelength bulbs are less conducive to algae growth. I now run 20,000 K bulbs from using 10,000 K bulbs.

4) Proper day length is a good thing also. I would not run your lights for more than 12 hrs total. Keep in mind that light entering from a window nearby is added to this figure.

5) Running GAC is a good practice in my book. It will help reduce the total dissolved organic carbons in your tank water and this is a food source.

6) Proper 30% per month total water changes will help export the DOC as well as some of the pests in the water column. It will help maintain the micro-nutrients as well.

7) Physical removal of the pest by hand, scrubbing and siphoning is important as well. If the amount of pest in your aquarium is overwhelming, perhaps dealing with one section at a time is a better idea.

8) Proper water circulation in your tank to prevent dead zones. When dealing with cyanobacteria pests increasing the flow where it grows seems to help.

9) Use RODI water for all top-off, salt mixing, additive mixes... etc.

10) Dosing iron may have benefits for macro-algae, but if you are experiencing algae pest problems than I would stop dosing it as it can add to the problem in many cases.

11) If you are dosing other supplements such as vitamins, amino acids, or others that contain a mix of supplements other than the basic alk., calcium and magnesium, I would stop these until you gain control of your pest. This includes many of the store bought products with unknown ingredients. Dosing Vodka or vinegar to reduce your nitrates and phosphates would be an exception in my opinion.

12) Proper feeding habits. This can be the number one problem when trying to reduce your nitrate and phosphate levels. Use low phosphate fish foods.

13) IMHO, lighted refugiums may be a problem when trying to deal with an algae type pest problem. They are wonderful when it comes to reducing nitrates and phosphates. However, the light over most refugiums is conducive to the microalgae type pests. If the refugium becomes infested with a microalgae pest, I would clean it throughly of all pests as best as possible, remove the macro and turn off the lights until you gain control of your pest. Re-using the same macroalgae later may serve as a source for re-infestation of your pest.

14) Adding fish and other creatures that will eat your algae pest will help.

15) Running a diatom filter which has been suggested by Boomer, makes a lot of sense to me. It will help remove a lot of organic material in your water column.

16) Keep your sand bed clean if it is a shallow bed weekly by vacuuming it. Lightly vacuume deep sand bed surfaces.

17) Keep your tank glass clean all the way around regularly. Perhaps it will need to be done 2 to three times a week if growth is fast.

18) For some additional thoughts regarding switching an algae based system to a bacterial based system see this thread:
(Using a carbon source with appropriate bacterial dosing may possibly help to push your system to where you want it although this is controversial.)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1781320

19) There are other items that can be added to this list if others care too share and some of the items listed may be disputed.
You mentioned a diatom filter here. Could you explain or give a link to the thread you speak of. Thanks!

Unread 11/15/2018, 10:26 PM   #36
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't know where that thread is, but a diatom filter is just a very fine mechanical filter. It can do a lot to remove particulates from the water column.

Unread 11/15/2018, 10:37 PM   #37
incloud
Registered Member

Okay Thanks, I'm just researching to create an artillery against algae in my display. I'm hoping that targeting algae growth with more light than my display will overpower algae growth.

Unread 11/17/2018, 10:05 PM   #38
Jonesrd1
Registered Member

A diatom based filter uses diatomaceous earth as the filter bed and is almost pure silica. Don’t use one unless you are sure silicate is not your problem as this type of filter produces silicate in significant quantities.

Current Tank Info: 55g mixed reef
Jonesrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 05:46 AM   #39
incloud
Registered Member

Good call. I'm trying to remove silicates beyond rodi.

Unread 05/31/2021, 10:58 AM   #40
sbreefer
Afflicted Reefer

i too have a high silica problem. starting to get little tube worms that I beleive build thier tubes from silica? i feed rods and mysis. are there foods oout there with lower silicate? did you have luck with the silica buster filert or is plain GFO the answer?

05-17-2021 Ammonia (NH3-4) Good 0.01 0.000 - 0.050 mg/L
05-17-2021 Nitrite (NO2) Good 0.01 0.000 - 0.100 mg/L
05-17-2021 Phosphate (PO4) Good 0.16 0.000 - 0.250 mg/L
05-17-2021 Nitrate (NO3) Good 2.5 0.000 - 25.000 mg/L
05-17-2021 Silica (Sio2-3) High 3.1 0.000 - 0.500 mg/L
05-17-2021 Potassium (K) Good 380 350.000 - 450.000 mg/L
05-17-2021 Boron (B) NA NA 3.000 - 6.000 mg/L
05-17-2021 Molybdenum (Mo) High 0.5 0.000 - 0.300 mg/L
05-17-2021 Strontium (Sr) Good 6.71 5.000 - 12.000 mg/L
05-17-2021 Magnesium (Mg) Good 1239 1100.000 - 1400.000 mg/L
05-17-2021 Iodine (I) Good 0.06 0.030 - 0.090 mg/L
05-17-2021 Copper (Cu) Good 0.04 0.000 - 0.100 mg/L