Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 10:36 PM   #1276
Fredfish
Registered Member

I always enjoy the photo updates on this tank.

How is that filefish behaving for you? does it nip at the corals at all?

Unread 01/19/2018, 01:16 AM   #1277
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfish View Post
I always enjoy the photo updates on this tank.

How is that filefish behaving for you? does it nip at the corals at all?
Thank you. My filefish is behaving himself. I am not concerned about him.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 02:55 PM   #1278
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Bulent, that new frag most definitely looks like what’s called a myagi tort in this side of the pond.. did you mean myagi or is it called mirage over there?
Anyways, the golden brown/orange body with purple or bluish tips is classic..
By the way, Photobucket just came out with a $99/yr plan for non commercial 3rd party hosting for forums etc.. I may take them up on that just to keep my thread intact.. not sure how angry I still at them for the original $400/ur they wanted to extort from us..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 06:19 PM   #1279
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Bulent, that new frag most definitely looks like what’s called a myagi tort in this side of the pond.. did you mean myagi or is it called mirage over there?
Anyways, the golden brown/orange body with purple or bluish tips is classic..
Hi Matt,

I have just checked my previous post and realised that I used the word "mirage" tort. This is clearly wrong. I originally wrote "miyagi" and the word ended up "mirage" in my post because of auto-correction.

The words "miyagi" and "myagi" seem to be used interchangeably on various forums on the internet. But I believe that the correct spelling is "miyagi", which comes from Japanese. I read on Reef Central that this term was attributed to this particular coral because its owner's ability to shape his Acroporids resembled Japanese Bonsai trees created by the fictional character, Kensuki Miyagi, in the film titled as "The Karate Kid", hence the name "miyagi" tort. Well, at least a man-made name has a story behind it, doesn't it? I am still hunting the story behind "pink lemonade".

Here are some uses of the word "miyagi":

http://www.reefedition.com/sps-spotl...its-imposters/

http://www.reefedition.com/acropora-austera/

How is this coral rated over there?

Where do you think I should place it? High light? very high light? Medium light? Or low light? It is currently placed in a fairly low-medium position. It receives between 200-250 mmol/m2/sec PAR. I have a spot available that is brighter (~400 mmol/m2/sec).

Quote:
By the way, Photobucket just came out with a $99/yr plan for non commercial 3rd party hosting for forums etc.. I may take them up on that just to keep my thread intact.. not sure how angry I still at them for the original $400/ur they wanted to extort from us..
I think Photobucket has lost all their credibility in my eyes. I do not trust this company anymore. Thanks for letting me know anyway.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 01/19/2018 at 07:12 PM.
Unread 01/19/2018, 07:03 PM   #1280
reefmutt
Registered Member

I have no idea why I wrote myagi.. twice.
It’s miyagi.
It is not a light hog, I don’t think.. However, I’ve never kept a piece under very high light so I’m not sure what it would do under very strong lighting.
I think your positioning is probably pretty good.
It seems to grow differently depending on flow. Random flow will make it more tree shaped. I have a piece in a client’s tank that only gets intermittent unidirectional flow and I has grown out plating. I should get a photo.. it’s almost dinner plate size now..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/19/2018, 07:40 PM   #1281
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

I would love to see a picture of that coral.

Unread 02/03/2018, 08:18 AM   #1282
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Bulent, I have a couple lousy iPhone shots that I’m trying to upload but tapatalk isn’t cooperating at the moment..
I’ll try again in a sec..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/03/2018, 08:24 AM   #1283
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok. Let’s try this again..
This is an in wall tank.. his is from one side:

Here’s the other angle..

And a ‘close up’

This was grown from a 3 inch frag. The coral went in and immediately started growing out fairly flat..
That’s a Cali Tort to the left, in the top pic..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/03/2018, 11:12 AM   #1284
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

It is very nice. Thank you Matt.

Looking at the thickness of its branches, I am guessing that your client's gomezi must receive a lot less flow than my coral.

Unread 02/03/2018, 12:43 PM   #1285
reefmutt
Registered Member

Bulent do you feel that all The torts- miyagi, Cali, Oregon etc are all of the gomezi family?

Unread 02/03/2018, 03:45 PM   #1286
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Bulent do you feel that all The torts- miyagi, Cali, Oregon etc are all of the gomezi family?
No, I do not, Matt. For example, Miyagi tort is Acropora austera (http://www.reefedition.com/acropora-austera/). Both Cali and Oregan torts are Acropora tortuosa (http://www.reefedition.com/sps-spotl...its-imposters/).

According to the Australian Institute of Marine Science, the only similar species to Acropora gomezi are Acropora parilis , Acropora pectinatus (http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0922).

Unread 02/03/2018, 04:02 PM   #1287
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok... that makes sense.
The photos above are Miyagi Tort
Oh!! When you said gomezi, you were referring to the Cali tort, not the miyagi..
I misunderstood your post.
Yes, The gomezi/ Cali does not see extreme flow.. I love how it grows in that tank.. mine grows more densely at home.

Unread 02/03/2018, 07:11 PM   #1288
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

My A. austera has been with me for three weeks and kept its colour pretty well so far despite high phosphates (just under 0.18 mg/L) and fairly low PAR (265 mmol/m2/sec). However, there has been no sign of growth.

I have moved it to a brighter spot to observe how a higher PAR (~400 mmol/m2/sec) will affect its colour.

Acropora austera (P1110471)

Moreover, despite experimenting with a mixture of TM Elimi-NP and Bacto-Balance with different dosing combinations, I have not been able to reduce PO4 below 0.14 mg/L. Although I do not chase numbers, it has become obvious that some of my corals, A. gomezi, A. sarmentosa and A. microclados, looked more colourful when PO4 was around 0.046 mg/L. Having established this benchmark, I have re-started to fluidise, rather reluctantly, Seachem PhosGuard (50 gr per 200L) in a Phospban 150 reactor after a 3-year break with GFO. The reactor is connected to a Eheim compactON 300 pump, which feeds about 200-300 L per hour tank water to the reactor.

Finally, yesterday's nutrient test results were as follows:

NO3: < 5ppm
PO4: < 0.18 mg/L

And now some random top-down photos. Note that I am very fond of my yellow feather duster worm. It took me more than a year to find one.

Sabellastarte sp (P1110470)

Sabellastarte sp (IMG_3922)

Sabellastarte sp (IMG_3921)

Acropora millepora (P1110479)

Acropora hyacinthus (P1110480)

Acropora millepora (P1110482)

Acropora microclados (P1110486)

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 02/03/2018 at 08:10 PM.
Unread 02/04/2018, 07:28 AM   #1289
Alex Costa
Registered Member

I love this yellow feather!!!!!
Never saw one with this color before.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2018, 08:52 AM   #1290
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
I love this yellow feather!!!!!
Never saw one with this color before.
Thanks Alex. I saw the yellow morph only in books before. It seems pretty nervous and does not always show its yellow feathers.

Unread 02/04/2018, 09:03 AM   #1291
reefmutt
Registered Member

Beautiful photos, Bulent!

Unread 02/05/2018, 03:59 PM   #1292
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Gorgeous photos and stunning corals Bulent

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 05:37 AM   #1293
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Having established this benchmark, I have re-started to fluidise, rather reluctantly, Seachem PhosGuard (50 gr per 200L) in a Phospban 150 reactor after a 3-year break with GFO. The reactor is connected to a Eheim compactON 300 pump, which feeds about 200-300 L per hour tank water to the reactor.
Bulent,
I never used this kind of media but I read a lot of people claiming that fuidises it could lead to Aluminium to be leaked in the tank.
I don't know....maybe it's another urban legend of reef keeping, but I'll keep an eye on the corals response.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:24 AM   #1294
markalot

Catching up. That last group of photos was fantastic, glad to see everything doing well.

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:35 AM   #1295
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Beautiful photos, Bulent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Gorgeous photos and stunning corals Bulent
Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Catching up. That last group of photos was fantastic, glad to see everything doing well.
Matt, Dom and Mark, Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Bulent,
I never used this kind of media but I read a lot of people claiming that fuidises it could lead to Aluminium to be leaked in the tank.
I don't know....maybe it's another urban legend of reef keeping, but I'll keep an eye on the corals response.
I do not think that it is urban myth, Alex. Randy Holmes-Farley demonstrated that Aluminium can leach into the water column. Seachem disputes his findings. You can read about the company's argument on their web site (under Seachem PhosGuard). I will dig out his paper and share it. Anecdotally, some reefer also reported that certain soft corals, such as leather corals in particular, are adversely affected. When I used FM Ultra Phos a long time ago in my nano tank, I used too much media and did not rinse as much as I should have done prior to fluidising it. I lost quite a few snails shortly afterwards. There appears to be some risks attached to aluminium. One of my resplendent anthias, for example, seems odd and has come off food recently. This coincided with PhosGuard. I hope it is just a coincidence.

If I decide to use PhosGuard in long term, I may commission an ICP test to find out if there is elevated Aluminium in my tank. My corals seem OK so far.

Last edited by DiscusHeckel; 02/06/2018 at 09:57 AM.
Unread 02/06/2018, 06:44 PM   #1296
reefmutt
Registered Member

I don’t think it’s an urban myth, either.
I’ve seen plenty of leather corals get killed from improperly rinsed phosquard.
It’s fairly dusty.. it requires significant rinsing to really remove the milky run off

Unread 02/07/2018, 03:38 AM   #1297
illumnae
Registered Member

Fluidizing it would probably cause the media to grind against each other, releasing fines. Similar to activated carbon. When I ran FM Ultraphos (similar aluminium based media) in a reactor, I always kept the flow slow enough that the media doesn't fluidize but stays motionless with the water just passing through. I have not had any livestock affected by this in the past 3 years of using it this way.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 06:23 AM   #1298
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
I don’t think it’s an urban myth, either.
I’ve seen plenty of leather corals get killed from improperly rinsed phosquard.
It’s fairly dusty.. it requires significant rinsing to really remove the milky run off
In terms of dustiness, it is almost as bad as Seachem matrix carbon. I moved to Rox 0.8 for this reason. it is likely that I will move to FM Ultra Phos if I decide to use phosphate adsorbers for long term use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
Fluidizing it would probably cause the media to grind against each other, releasing fines. Similar to activated carbon. When I ran FM Ultraphos (similar aluminium based media) in a reactor, I always kept the flow slow enough that the media doesn't fluidize but stays motionless with the water just passing through. I have not had any livestock affected by this in the past 3 years of using it this way.
Fluidising media does not have to mean "tumbling" media. I purposely chose a small pump, so that water only passes through the media without tumbling it. Instructions on Seachem tub make it clear that the media should not tumble. FM states that 200 l/h is all needed for effective adsorption of phosphates, which is what I am using at present.

Unread 02/07/2018, 11:18 PM   #1299
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

I ran Phosguard for a long time in a reactor and had a neon green leather coral. I personally never had any issues, I do rinse all fresh media very well before use, slack in changing out media and don't run 100% of the time. My leather did very well, grew from a dime sized head to a soft ball in 2 years and even dropped about 6 baby heads off. I have also heard about the possible issues with aluminium new using Phosguard and did switch to BRS GFO cheaper just to be safe and is cheaper. Jme.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 07:22 PM   #1300
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Matt, Dom and Mark, Thank you.

I do not think that it is urban myth, Alex. Randy Holmes-Farley demonstrated that Aluminium can leach into the water column. Seachem disputes his findings. You can read about the company's argument on their web site (under Seachem PhosGuard). I will dig out his paper and share it. Anecdotally, some reefer also reported that certain soft corals, such as leather corals in particular, are adversely affected. When I used FM Ultra Phos a long time ago in my nano tank, I used too much media and did not rinse as much as I should have done prior to fluidising it. I lost quite a few snails shortly afterwards. There appears to be some risks attached to aluminium. One of my resplendent anthias, for example, seems odd and has come off food recently. This coincided with PhosGuard. I hope it is just a coincidence.

If I decide to use PhosGuard in long term, I may commission an ICP test to find out if there is elevated Aluminium in my tank. My corals seem OK so far.

Bulent,

Is there any particular reason to use it instead the "regular" GFO?
I had very very good experience using PO4x4.