Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2010, 03:46 PM   #2351
dscheidegger
Registered Member

Hello, my name is David. I am new to the hobby and would be interested to hear everyones input on the best way to get started and also if anyone has any mandarins, the best way to start off with one of them. I saw one in the Aquarium Adventures in Westerville, Ohio, and would like to get one.

dscheidegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 02:36 PM   #2352
Variansyn
Registered Member

Hi

Just soaking up the "Newbie" thread and reading all the articles before I get my footing. I've been a long time lurker, figured it'd be time to join.

Variansyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 03:21 PM   #2353
Rhiinno
Registered Member

Not new, but gettin back in!

I am not really new to the hobby, but I am gettin back in. A good friend of mine, Underwateroasis, has got me going again. I am not able to set up my tank atm since I move a LOT because of my job. I am looking to set up a 450 gallon reef tank as soon as possible. I have been hauling it around for a little over 3-4 years now. Really annoying. I have been looking for new parts since mine are outdated. I am pretty sure I will be buying an asm G6 for my skimmer but am not sure of what to use for lighting. Any ideas, please let me know. I am looking at getting 2 lighting fixtures. Please let me know if anyone has any advice of what to stay clear of or what is good.

Rhiinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 04:06 PM   #2354
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICOL View Post
GREETING PARTNERS

THIS ME LIKE IN THIS NEW HOBBY

AID REQUEST

WHERE CAN I FIND A STORE IN MIAMI FLORIDA CAN SUPPLY EQUIPMENT TO ME.
MY PROJECT IS OF 250G

Be extremely grateful

To Reef Central

RC has sub forums of local clubs here is one that is in the miami area

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 04:11 PM   #2355
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscheidegger View Post
Hello, my name is David. I am new to the hobby and would be interested to hear everyones input on the best way to get started and also if anyone has any mandarins, the best way to start off with one of them. I saw one in the Aquarium Adventures in Westerville, Ohio, and would like to get one.

To Reef Central
Mandarin goby's are awesome looking fish, I usually tell those that are new to the hobby to wait 6 to 9 months after they tackle this fish. they only eat live food like copepods. So you want to allow your tank to mature and allow the copepods time to populate in your live rock.

As far as getting started, I would suggest reading through this first.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/01/2010, 04:12 PM   #2356
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variansyn View Post
Hi

Just soaking up the "Newbie" thread and reading all the articles before I get my footing. I've been a long time lurker, figured it'd be time to join.
That is awesome

To Reef Central

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/01/2010, 04:15 PM   #2357
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiinno View Post
I am not really new to the hobby, but I am gettin back in. A good friend of mine, Underwateroasis, has got me going again. I am not able to set up my tank atm since I move a LOT because of my job. I am looking to set up a 450 gallon reef tank as soon as possible. I have been hauling it around for a little over 3-4 years now. Really annoying. I have been looking for new parts since mine are outdated. I am pretty sure I will be buying an asm G6 for my skimmer but am not sure of what to use for lighting. Any ideas, please let me know. I am looking at getting 2 lighting fixtures. Please let me know if anyone has any advice of what to stay clear of or what is good.

To Reef Central

I know what you mean about lugging a tank around. I have a hard time with a 125, I can't imagine lugging a 450. As for the lighting, I would ask in the Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment forum

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/01/2010, 05:30 PM   #2358
Chelsea22
Registered Member

I am new and need a ton of help, please be kind! haha

Hello Everyone, my name is Chelsea! I'm 22, stay at home mom for now. I have recently entered the freshwater hobby and even more recently (a week ago) started with saltwater. Right now my saltwater tank is cycling. it's a 20 gallon, has 4 small live rocks in it with awesome color, bright purple and reds.. and a huge rock i bought yestereday. The owner of the LFS gave me some crustaceans on the house (about 12). My tank is hexagon, i have the filter with the wheel but the LFS told me to take the wheel off, so i did. I also purchased a power head and i have a heater and a thermometer. Another LFS is checking around for a different light for me and i know i will still need a skimmer.. I plan to keep maybe 4 fish, a seahorse or two and a starfish.. also some soft corals... So any things that anyone thinks is a need to know please tell me.. i know NOTHING.. all i know is i have to wait about 6 to 8 weeks to add fish.. that my tank will turn brown before its done cycling and not to be scared of that.. lol.. i have checked the salinity and its in the right levels.. and thats about it.. here are a few questions i have to start with..

when do i do my first water change? Do i need a test kit? How often should i test for things? What checmicals do i need to keep on hand? what is buffer?

Thank you so much everyone, i have really enjoyed reading from this forum and am really happy to now be a part of it!

Chelsea22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 06:10 PM   #2359
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea22 View Post
Hello Everyone, my name is Chelsea! I'm 22, stay at home mom for now. I have recently entered the freshwater hobby and even more recently (a week ago) started with saltwater. Right now my saltwater tank is cycling. it's a 20 gallon, has 4 small live rocks in it with awesome color, bright purple and reds.. and a huge rock i bought yestereday. The owner of the LFS gave me some crustaceans on the house (about 12). My tank is hexagon, i have the filter with the wheel but the LFS told me to take the wheel off, so i did. I also purchased a power head and i have a heater and a thermometer. Another LFS is checking around for a different light for me and i know i will still need a skimmer.. I plan to keep maybe 4 fish, a seahorse or two and a starfish.. also some soft corals... So any things that anyone thinks is a need to know please tell me.. i know NOTHING.. all i know is i have to wait about 6 to 8 weeks to add fish.. that my tank will turn brown before its done cycling and not to be scared of that.. lol.. i have checked the salinity and its in the right levels.. and thats about it.. here are a few questions i have to start with..

when do i do my first water change? Do i need a test kit? How often should i test for things? What checmicals do i need to keep on hand? what is buffer?

Thank you so much everyone, i have really enjoyed reading from this forum and am really happy to now be a part of it!

To Reef Central
to answer some of your questions, water change can be done either after or during your cycle, I recommend waiting till the cycle is over before you do a water change for the sole purpose that you don't want to get a false reading on your cycle. Test Kit: Yes get one and use it all the time during your cycle so you can tell where you are in the process. Chemicals: you don't need any right now but if you are going to have corals you will eventually need something to replenish what is lost (but that's a long ways ahead of you still) . Buffer: there are different buffers that can be used many different ways, i will assume that you are speaking of PH buffers, and say that they just raise or lower your PH. but you shouldn't need to mess with those as long as you are using a quality synthetic salt and RODI water. Hopefully that answered some questions, for more information, check out this link

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/01/2010, 07:08 PM   #2360
Seouljer
Registered Member

Hello all

Hey there,
Just introducing myself. Im pretty new to the whole aquarium thing and so far im really enjoying myself. I definantly have had some bumps on the journey so far (bought everything from petland) and probably have done some wrong things (got a hippo tang after only having my tank for 3 weeks on the advice of petland) but im here to learn so i dont make any more mistakes!

My Tank setup:
36 gallon bowfront
Emperor 280 power filter
Stealth Heater
"Live" Sand bed
36 pounds of live rock

So far and i have a green chromis, a hippo tang, a goby (not sure what kind, suggested for cleaning sand bed), a peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, and some snails (cant remember at the moment)

Ive only had the tank for 5 weeks! I know from reading up on the internet since getting my current set up that ive gone over my head and i know i should have researched more before making purchases here but thats why im here. Probably should not have let a sales person do their job lol. Well hopefully ill learn alot here and get much better at this aquarium thing.

Thanks,
Seouljer
(Any and i mean ANY response welcome)

Seouljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 07:32 PM   #2361
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seouljer View Post
Hey there,
Just introducing myself. Im pretty new to the whole aquarium thing and so far im really enjoying myself. I definantly have had some bumps on the journey so far (bought everything from petland) and probably have done some wrong things (got a hippo tang after only having my tank for 3 weeks on the advice of petland) but im here to learn so i dont make any more mistakes!

My Tank setup:
36 gallon bowfront
Emperor 280 power filter
Stealth Heater
"Live" Sand bed
36 pounds of live rock

So far and i have a green chromis, a hippo tang, a goby (not sure what kind, suggested for cleaning sand bed), a peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs, and some snails (cant remember at the moment)

Ive only had the tank for 5 weeks! I know from reading up on the internet since getting my current set up that ive gone over my head and i know i should have researched more before making purchases here but thats why im here. Probably should not have let a sales person do their job lol. Well hopefully ill learn alot here and get much better at this aquarium thing.

Thanks,
Seouljer
(Any and i mean ANY response welcome)

To Reef Central
you're not alone in that many have done pretty much the same thing, the best advice I can tell you is to continue researching and don't go back to that fish store. anyone that tells you to put a hippo tang in a 2 week old tank either A. doesn't know what they are talking about or B: wants to make a profit from your lack of experience.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/01/2010, 07:35 PM   #2362
Chelsea22
Registered Member

thank you so much for you thoughts.. heres what i used for water..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

To Reef Central
to answer some of your questions, water change can be done either after or during your cycle, I recommend waiting till the cycle is over before you do a water change for the sole purpose that you don't want to get a false reading on your cycle. Test Kit: Yes get one and use it all the time during your cycle so you can tell where you are in the process. Chemicals: you don't need any right now but if you are going to have corals you will eventually need something to replenish what is lost (but that's a long ways ahead of you still) . Buffer: there are different buffers that can be used many different ways, i will assume that you are speaking of PH buffers, and say that they just raise or lower your PH. but you shouldn't need to mess with those as long as you are using a quality synthetic salt and RODI water. Hopefully that answered some questions, for more information, check out this link
following the advice of one of the many LFS's.. i bought the premixed saltwater.. he told me that it would be very easy for me considering im new at this... he told me that the salinity would be a little high and to mix it with some spring water and that would do the trick.. so i did.. is this water okay and will it prevent me from having to use a RO/DI? it seems easier for me for now i think? any thoughts? and by the way.. i have the plastic hydrometer with the swing needle.. ya know, the cheap one, lol.. should i be trying to get it on an exact number? if so what number? or it it okay to just have it within the guide on the gauge?

Unread 04/01/2010, 07:36 PM   #2363
Seouljer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

To Reef Central
you're not alone in that many have done pretty much the same thing, the best advice I can tell you is to continue researching and don't go back to that fish store. anyone that tells you to put a hippo tang in a 2 week old tank either A. doesn't know what they are talking about or B: wants to make a profit from your lack of experience.
Yeah I wont be going back. Ive spent alot of money and i really do like the hobby so far. Im just hoping that i dont lose any fish due to my idiotic mistakes.

Seouljer

Seouljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/01/2010, 08:06 PM   #2364
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
following the advice of one of the many LFS's.. i bought the premixed saltwater.. he told me that it would be very easy for me considering im new at this... he told me that the salinity would be a little high and to mix it with some spring water and that would do the trick.. so i did.. is this water okay and will it prevent me from having to use a RO/DI? it seems easier for me for now i think? any thoughts? and by the way.. i have the plastic hydrometer with the swing needle.. ya know, the cheap one, lol.. should i be trying to get it on an exact number? if so what number? or it it okay to just have it within the guide on the gauge?
If you were to use bottled water I would suggest distilled water, (that's better than RODI, but gets very expensive in the long run)
As for the swing arm hydrometer: just about all of them are inaccurate, but they are consistent if you keep them cleaned. what I mean is, if you can bump your hydrometer up against a calibrated refractometer then you will know how far off your hydrometer is. I have an old hydrometer that reads 1.027 but bumping it up against a refractometer I know that 1.027 is actually 1.025, and that's where you want to keep your salinity.....1.025.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/01/2010, 08:08 PM   #2365
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seouljer View Post
Yeah I wont be going back. Ive spent alot of money and i really do like the hobby so far. Im just hoping that i dont lose any fish due to my idiotic mistakes.

Seouljer
If you like the hobby then keep with it, it'll get much more exciting as you progress along.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/02/2010, 06:19 AM   #2366
nanotang
Registered Member

i am very new to the hobbie. just starting to get my feet wet. i was recommend by a friend to join this forum. i am learning alot. and just starting up a 12 gallon nano. its a salt water tank. just put live rock in yesterday a played around with the aquascape. now just in the waiting period.

nanotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 12:52 PM   #2367
Chelsea22
Registered Member

Considering i only have a 20 gallon the distilled wouldnt be much of a pain .. (i dont think anyway?)
Also.. does anyone know much about the premixed water? would it be better to mix my own? and once i open a jug of the premixed i wonder how long it is good for?
Another thing, how it the best way to set up my live rock? aquascaping i guess this is called.. Like what am i trying to achieve? just stack them any ol' way or.. ?

thanks

Unread 04/02/2010, 03:02 PM   #2368
Wukkie
Registered Member

Hi All, New to the game, and am about to set up a system. I have been some reading and slowing getting parts for my set up. So far so good. I have just recentaly got a tank, 1500mm(L) by 700mm(W) by 800mm(H), I have not received the tank yet, but should get it in a few weeks. Need to arrange transport and the hands to move it. I have already build myself a sump. 950mm(L) by 650(W) by 400(h). Divided into 3 sections.

Ok, I have been considering looking at the ULNS. I other idea is to go the route of ATS, and a small skimmer to maybe help in start, and to sumplement along the way.

Any ideas are welcome.
Damon

Wukkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 05:33 PM   #2369
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotang View Post
i am very new to the hobbie. just starting to get my feet wet. i was recommend by a friend to join this forum. i am learning alot. and just starting up a 12 gallon nano. its a salt water tank. just put live rock in yesterday a played around with the aquascape. now just in the waiting period.
your friend was right---this is the place to learn

To Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Aquarist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 05:44 PM   #2370
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Considering i only have a 20 gallon the distilled wouldnt be much of a pain .. (i dont think anyway?)
Also.. does anyone know much about the premixed water? would it be better to mix my own? and once i open a jug of the premixed i wonder how long it is good for?
Another thing, how it the best way to set up my live rock? aquascaping i guess this is called.. Like what am i trying to achieve? just stack them any ol' way or.. ?

thanks
you should replace 2 gals a week on a 20 gal tank. Weekly is better because of the small size--leaving it longer allows changes to occur in the water chemistry.
Assuming it is a 5 gal jug then you would be safe with the premix in the jug until you use it up. Just make sure the salt water can breathe(take the lid off) and occasionally shake up the jug(not with the lid off)
How much are you paying for the premix? Compare that to buying distilled or ro water and then mixing the salt yourself. If you buy a bucket of salt it is good for 160gals and Instant Ocean is about 40 dollars.

The way you build your reef is a matter of personal preference and where the tank is located. For instant if it is in the position of being viewed on all sides then you would be best to build a reef in the center etc etc,
Keep in mind a few of the basics,
use the big pieces for the bottom layer next to the sand bed and the smaller for the top layers. this allows you to move corals ect around easily without disturbing the very important bottom layer of rock.
Allow space on all sides for cleaning and or directing a power head behind the reef occasionally
Build the reef with lots of holes and spaces. If you build it solid or very close to a tank side then you might not see certain timid fish very often.

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 04/02/2010, 05:52 PM   #2371
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wukkie View Post
Hi All, New to the game, and am about to set up a system. I have been some reading and slowing getting parts for my set up. So far so good. I have just recentaly got a tank, 1500mm(L) by 700mm(W) by 800mm(H), I have not received the tank yet, but should get it in a few weeks. Need to arrange transport and the hands to move it. I have already build myself a sump. 950mm(L) by 650(W) by 400(h). Divided into 3 sections.

Ok, I have been considering looking at the ULNS. I other idea is to go the route of ATS, and a small skimmer to maybe help in start, and to sumplement along the way.

Any ideas are welcome.
Damon
according to your measurements that would be a 228 gallon tank. That is an ideal tank to start with
Have you looked into the MSX line of skimmers--those are a personal favorite of mine

To Reef Central

Unread 04/02/2010, 06:44 PM   #2372
Ryan kaz
Registered Member

brand new

Hi.I just got a 180 gallon tank and have no other equipment at this Time. I wanted to do some research and get as much advice as I can before I start to invest in this hobby.I would like to know should I start off with fish only and live rock or could I do reef.is crushed coral or sand better.types of fish,rock,heat, light.pumps .filters.anyhing...I do have a 29 gallon tank someone said I could use as a sump.. Thank youll

Ryan kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 07:15 PM   #2373
NaClH2O Getaway
Registered Member

Hello My name is Dewayne Whitesell and I'm a Coral Addict.

My tank stuff is listed below. I've been into the madness for a little over 5 yrs. Always looking to learn something new and Share anything I know.

Thanx for having me

Because yesterday was defined by the day before and because tomorrow will be perfected by today.

Current Tank Info: 100gal reef DT: Ecotech Radion Pro, 30gal sump, 35gal Display Refugium, JBJ arctic 1/4hp chiller@78.0 degrees, Reeflo Dart Return, Tunze powerheads, Tunze ATO, BRS 2part dosers. Various LPS, SPS, Softies, and Zoanthids.
NaClH2O Getaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2010, 07:33 PM   #2374
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan kaz View Post
Hi.I just got a 180 gallon tank and have no other equipment at this Time. I wanted to do some research and get as much advice as I can before I start to invest in this hobby.I would like to know should I start off with fish only and live rock or could I do reef.is crushed coral or sand better.types of fish,rock,heat, light.pumps .filters.anyhing...I do have a 29 gallon tank someone said I could use as a sump.. Thank youll

To Reef Central
Just to make things easier for you I would recommend a fish only with live rock and as you get more comfortable and learn more you can take the step into getting corals. The best way to do that is to make sure your fish selections are reef safe, I would stay away from crushed coral and start of right with sand. Capn has put together a great thread that compiles all the great info. Check it out it will answer many of your questions.

Dishes are done man!

Unread 04/02/2010, 07:34 PM   #2375
Sisterlimonpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClH2O Getaway View Post
Hello My name is Dewayne Whitesell and I'm a Coral Addict.

My tank stuff is listed below. I've been into the madness for a little over 5 yrs. Always looking to learn something new and Share anything I know.

Thanx for having me

To Reef Central
great to have you with us Dewayne.

Dishes are done man!

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral