Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2018, 08:20 AM   #1
OhsCC
Registered Member

Dead Flame Angel

I had my Flame Angel for two weeks from Live Aquaria. It was looking good and eating some prime flakes, mysis, and seaweed selects.

The fish looks to have died with a full stomach and no signs of disease.

I have researched and found that other angels have died with similar symptoms and many blame the shipping practice of starving the fish causing a digestive problem when the fish begins to eat again.

This is my only explanation, is that the fish ate to much to soon.

Any thoughts?

OhsCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 09:04 AM   #2
emilese
Registered Member

I'm not sure about the shipping practice of starving but, maybe it had a parasite? Are there other fish in your aquarium? How old is your system? How are your water parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhsCC View Post
I had my Flame Angel for two weeks from Live Aquaria. It was looking good and eating some prime flakes, mysis, and seaweed selects.

The fish looks to have died with a full stomach and no signs of disease.

I have researched and found that other angels have died with similar symptoms and many blame the shipping practice of starving the fish causing a digestive problem when the fish begins to eat again.

This is my only explanation, is that the fish ate to much to soon.

Any thoughts?

emilese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 09:56 AM   #3
albano
SALTWATER since '73

This happens very often with flame angels, regardless of where you buy it
Is it still in warranty time?

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 10:20 AM   #4
OhsCC
Registered Member

The warranty ends today. So I will be getting it for free, but it still confuses me. After 25 years of saltwater keeping I can normally see a fish turn for the worse. The only tell on this fish was yesterday when it swam under a rock the whole day and did not come out for food.

My office tank is 2 months old. Cycled with Gulf Live rock in about 17 days.

I just tested for ammonia and nitrite and both are 0 API test kit. The rest of my test kits are at home for my home tank.

Other fish are a ORA clownfish, and royal gramma added at the same time 14 days ago.

Corals were added 1 month ago. Frogspawn, green toadstool, candy cane coral, favia, and red mushroom. All doing well and fully expanding.

Last edited by OhsCC; 02/13/2018 at 10:38 AM.
Unread 02/13/2018, 10:45 AM   #5
scooter31707
Registered Member

I am recently starting to hear and read about Flame Angels not lasting long. they use to be very hardly, but nowadays they are very fragile.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 11:26 AM   #6
kryolla
Registered Member

it happened to me and I bought it from the same place

kryolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 11:52 AM   #7
OhsCC
Registered Member

I bought two flames. The other one is in the 75 gallon tank that has been up for 20 years so I will let you know how that flame angel turns out.

I was actually more worried about that flame because I have not seen it eat. It is however more active.

I'll keep you posted.

Unread 02/13/2018, 12:41 PM   #8
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhsCC View Post
I was actually more worried about that flame because I have not seen it eat. It is however more active.
Report that to LA so they can extent the warranty

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 02:23 PM   #9
alton
Registered Member

This issue started over a year ago with xmas islands flame angels. They became too cheap and therefore I am only guessing shipping them was compromised. This is me again, but I believe they where treated as you would a cheap damsel. I went thru four trying to create a pair all dying around a week. Finally LA had some from Vanuatu come available and I created a pair from these. As most have reported the Flame Angel costing around $40 to $50 for the longest time has done very well in everyone's tank in the past. I maybe crawling up the wrong tree but something has happened. If you will notice LA now has jumped the price way up and I believe their 14 day warranty is costing them.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 09:56 AM   #10
OhsCC
Registered Member

Update:
(Knock on wood)

The flame angel in my home tank is doing great still.

Surprisingly the flame angel in my office tank (free replacement by LA) is still alive, one month later of receiving the fish and 3 weeks after the fish stopped eating.

The office flame started to pick at the live rock 2 weeks ago which was a good sign. The office flame angel seems to be eating Ocean Nutrition Seaweed (green) in the evening/night only. I do not see the Flame eating the seaweed when I am in my office. Within the last week I have been adding Garlic Xtreme to the seaweed in an effort to further entice eating.

I just want to provide an update for those struggling with Marshall Island Flame Angels. It may be just this fish, but may not be either.

FYI
My Marshall Island Flame at home eats prime reef flakes, mysis, rods reef, and seaweed select.

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:52 PM   #11
BaleKlocoon
Registered Member

I bought a flame angel in high school and it died after 2-3 weeks. I never had any issues keeping any other fish alive.

BaleKlocoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:10 PM   #12
Borntrippn
Registered Member

Flsme angels are one of my favs

Borntrippn is offline   Reply With Quote