Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2014, 06:40 PM   #1
87ford
Registered Member

Show off your arduino project!

Hello,

I'm making this thread in curiosity as to how many incorporate computers into their fish tanks but instead of spending 1k for an already made one want to see what have our fellow reafers have made. I finally got my arduino up to date and installed in my 150 display tank. I just made it for basicaly 3 main features 1 for when the over flow in the back loses siphon or gets clogged it shuts off the ati the two return pumps and the skimmer the other control is for the skimmer it's skim tank gets full it shuts the skimmer off this way if it decides to over skim it doesn't over skim onto my floor and lastly a waters sensor I learened on my system if the media got to clogged it would drizzle water out of my sump so I set it up if it detects water to turn off the two pumps wait 25 seconds and start up only 1 pump this way it's onnly running at half the volume and it won't drizzle water out on floor and I also have a stand alone system that monitors if water on floor and sends me a sms and email it also monitors temp inside the cabinet which is nice cause if my AC or heat fails I will know! The reason for my set up was because I was tired of comming home to 30gallons of water on my floor it happened 3 times and for 3 diffrent reasons pluss I go away for a week at a time sometimes and can't check if something is wrong so let's see what you built

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (61.6 KB, 112 views)
87ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2014, 06:12 PM   #2
perkint
Registered Member

Nothing yet, but plently in the planning!

Stage 1. One of O2Surplus' 5up boards including on board arduino, PCA9685 chip and one of JoshLawless' 6up LDDboards to control the LEDs. Also control sump LEDs.

Stage 2. Plug in module with LCD, arduino nano and UI joystick to allow playing with the settings, all communication over I2C.

Stage 3. Touch TFT and arduino mega. This takes over all control and also does Jebao wave maker and return pump control, plus probably mains switching of heating and cooling. Makes stage 2 addition redundant.

Stage 4. WiFi interface (raspberry PI?).

That's the plan, anyway. Already got al of the modules for 1 & 2 (except some LEDs - harder to get at good money, this side the pond ), and code snippets for proof of concept, but massively struggling for time to actually get the full solution done!

Tim

perkint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2014, 09:09 AM   #3
marspeed
Registered Member

does this count

marspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2014, 02:38 AM   #4
Guy1980
Registered Member

Nice clean work @marspeed have you got a build thread? I love reading people's journey. Also, what guage wire is the cable to your light fittings?

Guy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 11:53 AM   #5
87ford
Registered Member

sounds great perkint. nothing happens fast and heck this hobby isn't cheep i said it my self whats a couple of fish cost few bucks boy was i wrong.

Marspeed very nice build super clean! Not arduino but that still counts. How did you make the boards like that with labels and names? i was limited to what ever arduino made and the small project boards or had to etch the copper. very nice job!

87ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 12:19 PM   #6
marspeed
Registered Member

how is it not arduino that sketch running is nicks gutted shell that he left us hanging with but thanks to steve filling in the missing 3,000 lines of code it works

Unread 11/11/2014, 12:27 PM   #7
marspeed
Registered Member

you can find the build thread here
http://www.aqcenter.net/topic/1825-l...ller-dreaming/

Unread 11/11/2014, 04:34 PM   #8
jimmcwibb
Registered Member

I'm currently making a kalk doser and stirrer, it's on the breadboard at the moment but I'll post pics of the build.

I'm not actually using the arduino to do the timing. As a sort of safety feature, a dedicated timing circuit controls the doser and the arduino watches everything to make sure nothing goes wrong. That way, if something goes wrong with the timing circuit, the arduino will notice and shut the whole thing down (it will check for inconsistencies). If something goes wrong with the arduino circuit, it won't dose kalk because the timing circuit controls that. In the future, the arduino could also monitor pH as an additional safety feature.

jimmcwibb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arduino, arduino controller, saftey, water