Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2016, 11:39 AM   #5401
Goatonfly
Registered Member

This white roundish thing was on the bottom of my rock yesterday and today its on the back. Any ideas of what it is? Also, what are the black spots in the bottom picture.

Goatonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 05:42 AM   #5402
dtb125
Registered Member

definitely a ball anemone now that its big enough for me to clearly make out. good call sir. thank you again

dtb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 07:06 PM   #5403
GHsaltie
Registered Member

Anybody have a clue what this strange blue thing is that I found tonight? It looks kind of like a crab but not like a crab. It's just hanging out on the rock and I have no idea what it is.image.jpg

Unread 05/08/2016, 08:38 AM   #5404
Stagrindin757
Registered Member

Wow

Nice

Stagrindin757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2016, 04:17 PM   #5405
Prankster11
Registered Member

I found this little snail today. It is no bigger than a couple millimeters... any idea?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2428.JPG (61.6 KB, 53 views)
Prankster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2016, 03:53 PM   #5406
pagojoe
Team RC Member

It's a Collonista or Homalopoma species. Algae grazer.

pagojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 08:39 AM   #5407
reefer 101
Registered Member

LARGE worm (bristleworm??)

Have a new tank (six weeks). Picked up large worm with live rock; maybe two as have seen them at both ends of the tank. Is it something I should worry about? Safe for corals and other critters???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg new tank live rock wrms.JPG (20.8 KB, 63 views)
reefer 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2016, 11:46 PM   #5408
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
So I got some critters to keep the sand cleanish while I get everything set up, and got a couple of hitch-hikers. Anyone any idea if these (there are 2 of them) are ok to have ?

Cheers
Simon
Hi
That is an Asterina Starfish.
Here is a link to a very helpful/great/educational hitchhiker website called Melev's Reef:
http://www.melevsreef.com/critters/asterina-starfish

Do be warned that, just like mini brittle starfish, these little guys can begin to mass populate over time BUT I've never had any problems with them. I keep them in my sump and they're handy little cleaners.

meganias123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2016, 12:00 AM   #5409
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prankster11 View Post
I found this little snail today. It is no bigger than a couple millimeters... any idea?
Like pagojoe said, Colonista snail... although, it could be a Sundial. Both snails are sort of shaped the same and stay really small; however the good Colonista is brown and white and the bad Sundial is black and white.
Sundials are zoanthid coral predators and Colonistas are really helpful cleaners that will graze pretty much anywhere and everywhere. I haven't had an experience with the Sundials but my Colonistas can be seen everywhere as little white dots (as they have mass populated)

Unread 05/13/2016, 12:08 AM   #5410
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefer 101 View Post
Have a new tank (six weeks). Picked up large worm with live rock; maybe two as have seen them at both ends of the tank. Is it something I should worry about? Safe for corals and other critters???
Hello bristleworm
Bristleworms are great cleaners. They eat detritus, leftover foods, and will clean up an aquarium death quick enough so that it doesn't cause much of an issue with water params (sometimes).
Some people talk about how they kill snails, clams, fish, etc but I've never had any problems and have read many forums where it was suggested that it wasn't the worm that killed the victim... the worm was just seen cleaning up the dead carcass and therefore accused to be the culprit.
These guys can grow pretty big and multiply usually based off of the amount of nutrients they have access to. Even the big ones can be hard to spot though because they usually only come out of their hiding spots at lights off.

Unread 05/13/2016, 12:14 AM   #5411
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatonfly View Post
This white roundish thing was on the bottom of my rock yesterday and today its on the back. Any ideas of what it is? Also, what are the black spots in the bottom picture.

A month or so after I put my dry live rock in my tank (after curing it for a few months in a large, closed tupperware container) I saw a scatter of black on one of my rocks that looked similar to this. After researching it seemed like it was a type of burrowing sponge... Mine didn't really do anything and soon was conqured by coraline algae I'm not even 100% that it actually was some sort of sponge... but that was the closest I could get to an ID on it.
As for your little white spikey critter... I have no idea Is it hard or slimey? Does it sway or is it solid?

Unread 05/13/2016, 12:26 AM   #5412
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuperOR View Post
Please help me to ID and recommend a solution for this unknown white goo. It is hard to separate from the rock, kind of looks like boogers when you get it off, and seems to be spreading. I believe it choked out my zoa frag, and I worry it is going to take over the tank if I don't get it eradicated.

Thanks for your help!!

I have a little bit of that on my zoanthid rock... its been there for a long time and hasn't really grown. I have always suspected it was a sort of blanketing type of sponge and not harmful, but if you say it choked your zoas out I guess I better keep an eye on mine :/

Unread 05/13/2016, 12:36 AM   #5413
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdack View Post
Can you guys give me a quick verification that this is aiptasia? As for the second one, still no idea what it is.

This is a picture of baby aptasia I had a while back. Its difficult sometimes to differentiate between the baby aptasia and feather dusters but generally feather dusters will have a ton of little bristles and the baby aptasia will have like 7 or something...
Bottom Left and Middle pictures are aptasia baby and aptasia small adult (first pic):

Bottom Left is a picture of a small feather duster worm peeking out of a Astrea snail shell hole (second pic):

Also would like to mention that if it is Aptasia then get rid of it asap because it reproduces fast. Be sure not to cut it or do anything that can set pieces of it afloat in your tank ~ otherwise it will reproduce and cause you great sadness (LOL).

Last edited by meganias123; 05/13/2016 at 12:43 AM.
Unread 05/13/2016, 12:56 AM   #5414
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb125 View Post
thank you Ron i have a direction in which to research now.will try to get clearer photo tentacles seem clear with little tiny colored spheres on the ends. the tentacles also seem to be 2 and 1/2 times longer than the boot. if it is an anemone.
Hi
I have 2 of these in my sump at the moment... pretty cool to look at but be warned as I have heard these referred to as "pest anemones" because they will multiply in your tank (not nearly as quick as aptasia though) and could potentially cause a problem if they were to start bothering corals. They stay small and are much better to look at than aptasia (imo)

Unread 05/13/2016, 06:42 AM   #5415
dtb125
Registered Member

thank you meganlas123 for the info had wondered how prolific they are. i definitely do not want anything quick spreading that is not a coral in the system.guess i will be breaking him off and throwing him somewhere else. thinking about starting small experiment tank for such creatures just to see what becomes f such an ecosystem.

dtb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2016, 10:57 AM   #5416
meganias123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtb125 View Post
thank you meganlas123 for the info had wondered how prolific they are. i definitely do not want anything quick spreading that is not a coral in the system.guess i will be breaking him off and throwing him somewhere else. thinking about starting small experiment tank for such creatures just to see what becomes f such an ecosystem.
Yeah, an experiment tank sounds like a pretty good idea... Especially with all of the interesting but "potentially" not reef safe critters that can be found as hitchhikers in this hobby

Unread 05/14/2016, 08:55 AM   #5417
Hatonhed
Registered Member

What are these?

These grew all over my live rock when I had my tank set up in the past. I am wondering what they are! i am once again looking to set up my reef and these rocks have been dry for about 2 years. i would like to be sure there will be no harm from the reuse of this rock. Thanks in advance!

Hatonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 10:15 AM   #5418
cloak
Moved On

Spirorbid worms.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 10:16 AM   #5419
Hatonhed
Registered Member

Are these a good thing to have?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon display with 20L sump
Hatonhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2016, 07:07 PM   #5420
cloak
Moved On

Yes.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rs/

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2016, 08:22 PM   #5421
timfederwitz
Registered Member

Please help me ID this worm like creature.

Here is the video of what I found in my tank. Not crazy big, but we've only seen it in the morning when the tank lights are off.

I thought it was a bristle worm, but it doesn't seem to have legs all down its sides. I have seen bristle worms in my tank, and this doesn't look like one.

I know the video quality isn't great due to lack of light, but any thoughts from anyone are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Coralife BioCube 29g - Stock lighting, Jebao rw4, IceCap Gyre, TBS "The Package", no skimmer, Tunze ATO, Apex Gold controller, InTank Media Basket
timfederwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2016, 09:54 PM   #5422
IsyssOT_7399
Registered Member

Question Weird Aiptasia?

I've been battling aiptasia from day one. Things are going pretty well with lemon juice as my weapon of choice. A couple of days ago, this popped up in my sand. I do have a BTA that came with my live rock and was a bit concerned that this isn't aiptasia at all and may be something I should keep, but I'm going the "better safe than sorry" route. It has been removed. but my curiosity prevents me from killing it... So can anyone explain to me why this anemone is so much wider and darker than the rest? If it's not aiptasia, what on earth is it. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160523_220719.jpg (44.9 KB, 57 views)
Unread 05/23/2016, 11:19 PM   #5423
quagmire
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfederwitz View Post
Please help me ID this worm like creature.

Here is the video of what I found in my tank. Not crazy big, but we've only seen it in the morning when the tank lights are off.

I thought it was a bristle worm, but it doesn't seem to have legs all down its sides. I have seen bristle worms in my tank, and this doesn't look like one.

I know the video quality isn't great due to lack of light, but any thoughts from anyone are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like the reproductive part of a polycheate worm.
Search polychaete epitoke in this thread or other areas of reef central.

quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2016, 07:40 AM   #5424
MarkW64
Registered Member

Just caught this "worm"

I caught this nearly 2 inch critter this morning. Polychaete of some type I assume. Anybody have a good idea what it is more specifically? Is it anything to worry about, or a beneficial scavenger?

Unread 05/24/2016, 10:05 AM   #5425
MarkW64
Registered Member

Any idea anyone? I'm hoping to return it to the tank soon if it's not a predator...