Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2016, 07:27 PM   #651
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmittlesteadt View Post
Thanks! If you have any questions at all, I'd be happy to answer them for you. Take your time planning it out and think everything through. Patience now in the planning stage will afford you a lot more time to enjoy later (instead of chasing after problems)!

With every piece of equipment, or stocking ideas, or how it all works together, I always thought about every possible scenario...what it's purpose was, how every little thing interacts and works together in harmony for the good of the entire system, and that includes the inhabitants themselves. I barely do anything with my tank now, except enjoy it.
That is fantastic; I want the same outcome that you have. That is what I’m striving for now. During my work season (construction) my time is more limited. I really appreciate all the advice you have given me already. Thank you for offering to answer questions in the future. That is really cool of you.

“Take your time planning it out and think everything through.” It is funny that you say that, and you are so right. I’ve been following that motto for 4 months now as I’ve already learned the hard way. Here, I’ll give you a chuckle…

Oct 2015 - It all started when my neighbor didn’t want her 55 gallon fresh water fish tank anymore. I thought this could be fun Discus tank for my 3 year old daughter to enjoy with me. 15 years ago I had a fresh water 80 Gallon tall tank.

I cleaned my free tank up, then searched online for stand ideals. I saw one that I liked here on reef central. I built it right away. I found myself returning to RC throughout the building process because I was fascinated with everyone’s reef tanks. I hadn’t really seen one prior. I thought this is for me! I ran out and bought Fluval’s top of the line freshwater/saltwater canister filter. I didn’t want a noisy sump.

Dec 2015 - With the stand now complete, I had time to read. I figured it would be a quick process. Well, I learned otherwise quickly. I found myself at a cross road, fresh water or saltwater, easy or hard? After seeing reef tanks, fresh water bored me so I dove into researching.

1st) Canister filter – Big no no.
Okay, I’ll go with a Sump then. I discover the Ultra Quiet Herbie Method, super excited!

2nd) I Can’t drill free tank from my neighbor, its tempered glass, grrr.
I learn that 40 gallon breeder tanks are a great way to go. I want one, but I already build the stand. I thought about selling the stand and starting over, but I like it and do not have time to build another. My 55 Gallon is not optimal for rockscaping, but definitely can be done. So, I bought a 55 gallon reef ready tank. Which was not easy to find, but it worked out in the end.

After all that, I felt like I was at square one and I was happy with that. I Put the brakes on and indulged myself into researching. I told my wife that I don’t care if it isn’t up and running until next winter, I’m going to do this right. Initially, I had no idea how much was involved in reef tanks. Now, I find the learning process to be very enjoyable and even exciting at times. I can see how this is a very rewarding hobby.

Last edited by ChitownBrickie; 04/24/2016 at 07:35 PM.
ChitownBrickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2016, 09:10 AM   #652
Swope2bc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownBrickie View Post
That is fantastic; I want the same outcome that you have. That is what I’m striving for now. During my work season (construction) my time is more limited. I really appreciate all the advice you have given me already. Thank you for offering to answer questions in the future. That is really cool of you.

“Take your time planning it out and think everything through.” It is funny that you say that, and you are so right. I’ve been following that motto for 4 months now as I’ve already learned the hard way. Here, I’ll give you a chuckle…

Oct 2015 - It all started when my neighbor didn’t want her 55 gallon fresh water fish tank anymore. I thought this could be fun Discus tank for my 3 year old daughter to enjoy with me. 15 years ago I had a fresh water 80 Gallon tall tank.

I cleaned my free tank up, then searched online for stand ideals. I saw one that I liked here on reef central. I built it right away. I found myself returning to RC throughout the building process because I was fascinated with everyone’s reef tanks. I hadn’t really seen one prior. I thought this is for me! I ran out and bought Fluval’s top of the line freshwater/saltwater canister filter. I didn’t want a noisy sump.

Dec 2015 - With the stand now complete, I had time to read. I figured it would be a quick process. Well, I learned otherwise quickly. I found myself at a cross road, fresh water or saltwater, easy or hard? After seeing reef tanks, fresh water bored me so I dove into researching.

1st) Canister filter – Big no no.

Okay, I’ll go with a Sump then. I discover the Ultra Quiet Herbie Method, super excited!

2nd) I Can’t drill free tank from my neighbor, its tempered glass, grrr.

I learn that 40 gallon breeder tanks are a great way to go. I want one, but I already build the stand. I thought about selling the stand and starting over, but I like it and do not have time to build another. My 55 Gallon is not optimal for rockscaping, but definitely can be done. So, I bought a 55 gallon reef ready tank. Which was not easy to find, but it worked out in the end.

After all that, I felt like I was at square one and I was happy with that. I Put the brakes on and indulged myself into researching. I told my wife that I don’t care if it isn’t up and running until next winter, I’m going to do this right. Initially, I had no idea how much was involved in reef tanks. Now, I find the learning process to be very enjoyable and even exciting at times. I can see how this is a very rewarding hobby.

BOOM, got another one! Addicted! Think about what you said/did. I want s/w now but really like the stand I built for my free tank so I bought a new tank to fit my stand! Lol, glad I'm not alone in the addiction. Give us a link to your build thread so we can all follow along too.

Swope2bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2016, 10:25 AM   #653
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
That is fantastic; I want the same outcome that you have. That is what I’m striving for now. During my work season (construction) my time is more limited. I really appreciate all the advice you have given me already. Thank you for offering to answer questions in the future. That is really cool of you...

I can't tell you how many times I changed my mind about some piece of equipment (although I did if you read my thread all the way through ). I went from a 33 gallon long with internal everything, to a 40 breeder with internal, and then decided to utilize my 65 gallon for my sump and keep it in the basement, out of the way of my display tank upstairs in my living room.

Many people wondered why I wouldn't use the 65 gallon for the display and my 40 breeder for the sump. First of all they have the same footprint, meaning you can't keep any more fish in one than the other (same surface area). Secondly, I hate working in tall tanks. And lastly, my 65 gallon allowed me to have a large refugium with all kinds of failsafes against flooding due to it's size and because it's larger than the 40 I filled it all the way up and used the return pump to fill my 40 upstairs.

If you take your time, and really dive into every little thing and explore all the possibilities, when you do put it all together you'll be rewarded with every well thought out decision. give us a link to your build so we can follow along and offer advice when you need it.

40 Gallon Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486801

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder, Eshopps PSK-100, Kessil A160WE, 70 lbs. rock, 65 gallon sump, 27 gallon refugium
mmittlesteadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2016, 03:17 PM   #654
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Just wanted to bump this video...

I got to chill a bit today and enjoy my little slice of the ocean.

40 Gallon Build Thread - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2486801

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder, Eshopps PSK-100, Kessil A160WE, 70 lbs. rock, 65 gallon sump, 27 gallon refugium
Unread 04/25/2016, 07:17 PM   #655
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Bought a couple of Hydor Koralia Evo 600 circulation pumps today. I get them at cost (about $22 each). About the same output as my Aquatop 425's I had (which were more direct) but these produce a wider dispersion, are super quiet and use magnets instead of suction cups to mount them. They are bigger, but I love them so far.

Unread 04/25/2016, 08:21 PM   #656
GaG8tor
Registered Member

Man that is one good looking tank. I want to do a 40 breeder so bad. I think it is the perfect size for a nice reef.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

GaG8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2016, 08:14 AM   #657
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaG8tor View Post
Man that is one good looking tank. I want to do a 40 breeder so bad. I think it is the perfect size for a nice reef.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
In my opinion, if anyone wants to do a reef, but doesn't have the space or the budget for a big tank, a 40 breeder is the perfect size as it has a great footprint, giving you more depth (front to back) for a more open rockscape with no dead spots, very easy to work in, even at the very bottom. Costs less to populate the entire tank with fish and corals, and costs less to light, filter, etc. It also is just big enough to have a decent population of fish and corals and be able to easily maintain stability. Of course it helps that I have a 65 gallon sump (as I really have twice as much water surface area and double the overall water volume), but that isn't a necessity.

There are times I wish I had a much bigger tank (like a 220), but from the photos, unless I told someone how small my tank is, they'd assume it was bigger than it is.

Unread 04/26/2016, 07:41 PM   #658
JamesHolt
Registered Member

you still running just the one kessil a160 on this

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2016, 11:06 AM   #659
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHolt View Post
you still running just the one kessil a160 on this
Yes, just the A160WE. I don't have the controller yet. It's just on an on/off timer. I adjust it before I leave for work, then adjust it brighter with a broader spectrum when I get home, and then adjust it down at night before it goes off on it's own. It's worked well this way for over a year now.

I prefer the coverage where it tapers off at the edges of the tank. I also still love the shimmering affect as well as the light and shadows, rather than blasting the entire tank with bright light.

Unread 04/27/2016, 05:31 PM   #660
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Will the real anemone please stand up?

My anemone is on the move again. Apparently he wants to check out the impostor that hosts my clownfish.

Unread 04/30/2016, 10:08 AM   #661
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swope2bc View Post
BOOM, got another one! Addicted! Think about what you said/did. I want s/w now but really like the stand I built for my free tank so I bought a new tank to fit my stand! Lol, glad I'm not alone in the addiction. Give us a link to your build thread so we can all follow along too.
Haaaa, yes! It’s good to see that I’m not alone. I still have to start a build thread. Thanks, I will get one going soon and give you the link.

Unread 04/30/2016, 10:10 AM   #662
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I changed my mind about some piece of equipment (although I did if you read my thread all the way through ). I went from a 33 gallon long with internal everything, to a 40 breeder with internal, and then decided to utilize my 65 gallon for my sump and keep it in the basement, out of the way of my display tank upstairs in my living room.

Many people wondered why I wouldn't use the 65 gallon for the display and my 40 breeder for the sump. First of all they have the same footprint, meaning you can't keep any more fish in one than the other (same surface area). Secondly, I hate working in tall tanks. And lastly, my 65 gallon allowed me to have a large refugium with all kinds of failsafes against flooding due to it's size and because it's larger than the 40 I filled it all the way up and used the return pump to fill my 40 upstairs.

If you take your time, and really dive into every little thing and explore all the possibilities, when you do put it all together you'll be rewarded with every well thought out decision. give us a link to your build so we can follow along and offer advice when you need it.
Using your 40 breeder for display and 65 Gal for sump makes a lot of sense to me. But I wouldn’t have realized that prior to seeing what you did. Not knowing anything different, I would have done the same thing that most people would have done and used the 65 for the display tank. That’s too cool, just fill the sump up and turn on the pump. I can truly appreciate any fail safes against flooding. I would like to do something similar in the future.
Last week I was sent to a new job site, and it appears that the next 3 months are going to be a little hectic. I will start a build thread this weekend, but it probably will not be too exciting at first due to the lack of time right now.

Unread 04/30/2016, 03:19 PM   #663
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

Quote:

I have got a thread going now
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...0#post24498430

Unread 04/30/2016, 03:21 PM   #664
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swope2bc View Post
It's up now
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...0#post24498430

Unread 04/30/2016, 07:22 PM   #665
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'll be following along. Don't sweat the time thing. Good things come to those who wait.

Unread 05/02/2016, 08:06 PM   #666
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

Your right about that brother. all in time

Unread 05/02/2016, 08:07 PM   #667
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

Quote:
Will the real anemone please stand up?

My anemone is on the move again. Apparently he wants to check out the impostor that hosts my clownfish.

That's funny!

Unread 05/03/2016, 08:54 AM   #668
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
That's funny!
Yeah. Now it likes to hang out above the fake one and oddly enough the clowns still prefer the fake one. Go figure.

Unread 05/04/2016, 07:41 PM   #669
ChitownBrickie
Registered Member

That's crazy. your clowns should take to it eventually, right?

Unread 05/05/2016, 09:44 AM   #670
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
That's crazy. your clowns should take to it eventually, right?
Clowns are pretty particular. And condylactis anemones are not native to where clowns live, so there is no guarantee. They do love the fake one and sleep in it every night.

Unread 05/05/2016, 11:09 AM   #671
Cool_fish
Registered Member

I would love it if my tank project ends up half that good. Nice job.

Cool_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2016, 11:15 AM   #672
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_fish View Post
I would love it if my tank project ends up half that good. Nice job.
Thanks. Do you have a link to your build thread? I'll follow it.

Unread 05/11/2016, 11:01 AM   #673
martinm878
Registered Member

Amazing build! tank looks great man, i too have a 40b sitting in my living room waiting to be finished. i wanted to ask you about the drylok you used to bond the rocks together. im not familiar with that stuff was hoping you could give me a little more info as to which one to get since my local home depot has several different types. thanks ill appreciate any info.

martinm878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2016, 12:18 PM   #674
mmittlesteadt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm878 View Post
Amazing build! tank looks great man, i too have a 40b sitting in my living room waiting to be finished. i wanted to ask you about the drylok you used to bond the rocks together. im not familiar with that stuff was hoping you could give me a little more info as to which one to get since my local home depot has several different types. thanks ill appreciate any info.
Dry-Lok is a brand name. You can use any brand of hydraulic cement, like DAP Quick-Plug or anything like that. It's just a cement for quickly plugging water leaks in concrete. It cures in about 5 minutes and is safe for aquarium use. I'd give it a good soak in some diluted vinegar water for a little while so it doesn't raise the pH too much at first.

Unread 05/11/2016, 02:08 PM   #675
martinm878
Registered Member

Quote:
Dry-Lok is a brand name. You can use any brand of hydraulic cement, like DAP Quick-Plug or anything like that. It's just a cement for quickly plugging water leaks in concrete. It cures in about 5 minutes and is safe for aquarium use. I'd give it a good soak in some diluted vinegar water for a little while so it doesn't raise the pH too much at first.
ok thanks great info to know. appreciate the quick response. might go pick some up today.

martinm878 is offline   Reply With Quote