Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2016, 01:42 PM   #26
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Looking good.

Bacto balance sure is an interesting product, I like the way it provides PO4 and NO3 to make sure the tank doesn't starve. I have yet to find it available in the states.
Mark, Bulent had sourced a shop in Europe that was willing to ship to Canada.. maybe they'll ship to the US as well.... well, at least until Trump gets into office. Then, all bets are off.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2016, 04:17 AM   #27
kainic
Registered Member

Last update of the year.

Routine/dosing changes:

Dec 19th --> Increased TM Bacto Balance to 1.5ml per day. It's the recommended dose in the instructions.
Dec 8th --> Started dosing Brightwell Neophos to increase my phosphate readings to check if my aquarium was phosphate limited. I'm dosing 1ml to increase phosphates by 0.02ppm. In less than a week my nitrates dropped from 50ppm to 10-17.5ppm (more than 10 but less than 25 in Salifert test). Phosphates have been around 0.01-0.05.
Started to feed a pinch of flakes in the morning so feeding thrice per day. Flake in the morning, 1 cube of frozen food at midday and 1 cube of frozen food at noon.

These are the only changes as per my routines. We have to sum the addition of the female Genicanthus Melanospilos (Dec 5th), so we should expect a higher nitrate reading if anything.

Some corals show now a better polyp extension and a slight change in color. I'll keep this routine and check phosphate 3 times per week to avoid overdosing.

Milleporas and tenius had hard times in my tank and all except 1 died in 2 weeks since introduction. Last week I bought a tenius to test my tank, I really like tenius but was unable to keep them alive.

Not the best color and polyp extension could be better but it's alive and much more happy than any tenius has ever been in my tank.

Red planet has decided it's time to grow some branches.

2 maricultured recent additions. No idea of the species, so I'd be very pleased if you can ID them.

My tricolor is now getting some color and increasing its polyp extension.

Even my LPS are thriving now! A Red Goniopora happy as a clam!

I need to improve my photography skills, but first of all I'm trying to improve my reefing skills.

I wish you RC community a happy new year. Best wishes for you all.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2016, 09:14 PM   #28
reefmutt
Registered Member

What a dramatic improvement on that red planet!
Looking much better, Sergi.
Glad to see the phos helped bring down the n!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/01/2017, 11:53 AM   #29
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
What a dramatic improvement on that red planet!
Yeah! Now also the SSC has improved its color, from a pale pink everywhere to a reddish pink with green base.

Phone pic of my Icefire echinata. Bought it 2 months ago and placed in a shaded area. Its polyp extension has always been good, but lately I'd say its really great. Moved to a zone with more light and more flow to see if I can get a better color.
Today my Nitrate reading was 7.5ppm, lowest in months if not a year. I'll try to keep it there for a while.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
Unread 01/17/2017, 03:28 AM   #30
kainic
Registered Member

Got my hands on a Tamron 90mm macro for my DSLR. I previously got a Nikkor Micro 55mm (old school macro lens) but its focal length was too short, so I replaced it with the Tamron lens (not as sharp but its focal its perfect for aquarium photography).

I followed some of the tips Reefmutt posted in his thread. I still need to shoot hundreds of pictures to get the touch, but if you compare this picture with the one in my previous post you'll see that this lens has its potential.

My Red Planet keeps morphing. Improving PE everyday and getting a deeper color. Brightwell Nephos has a lot to say in this change. Even dosing 1ml per day (should increase my phosphate by 0,016) my readings are constantly under 0.02 so I increased the dose to 1.5ml daily.

This week I'll get my so much desired Montipora setosa frag. It will have a dedicated rock, so it can grow as much as it wants. Hope it survives the cold trip and it adapts well to my aquarium. /crossfingers

My vermetid snail population is getting plague dimensions so I introduced 4 Engina mendicaria snails to reduce its population. Bumble bee snails are a natural predator for vermetid snails but also predate on snails smaller than them so I will have to watch them close. Theorically they do not reproduce in our aquariums, so its population will be under control. They are being pretty active but I have not seen them in the act of eating a vermetid snail, yet. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for reading

Unread 01/17/2017, 01:19 PM   #31
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainic View Post
Got my hands on a Tamron 90mm macro for my DSLR.

Hey Sergi. This is very very pretty!
I love this shot.
Very nice detail, clarity and shallow depth of field that really accentuates the polyps. .
It's colour looks way better as well.
Do you have a top down viewing box?

Unread 01/17/2017, 02:23 PM   #32
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Sergi. This is very very pretty!
I love this shot.
Very nice detail, clarity and shallow depth of field that really accentuates the polyps. .
It's colour looks way better as well.
Do you have a top down viewing box?
Thanks for the compliments. I don't have a top viewing box... yet. It's on my purchase list but when you need to populate the tank with more corals it's hard to spend on other things.

Setosa, yongei and sarmentosa incoming. I'll update with pictures later this week.

Unread 01/17/2017, 02:28 PM   #33
reefmutt
Registered Member

I hear you.. corals take precedence over everything!!

Unread 02/14/2017, 08:59 AM   #34
kainic
Registered Member

Some pictures I took yesterday. Hope you enjoy!

Loving the Tamron 90 lens

Unread 02/14/2017, 09:33 PM   #35
reefmutt
Registered Member

Very nice shots, Sergi!
Love the acro crab and the bushy pavona.

Unread 05/01/2017, 04:58 AM   #36
kainic
Registered Member

Updating with some topdown shots

My beloved SSC

A small frag of Acropora sarmentosa

I was looking for an Acropora desalwii for quite long. I think it was worth to be patient.

Slowly going where I want it to be.

Enviado desde mi SM-G900F mediante Tapatalk

Unread 05/01/2017, 08:55 AM   #37
reefmutt
Registered Member

Really beautiful shots Sergi!
Love that desalwi as well.
Very similar looking to plana
What about an updated fts?

Unread 06/14/2017, 05:28 AM   #38
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

What a turn around for your corals. I think the corals were starving. What do you think?

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 08:22 AM   #39
kainic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
What a turn around for your corals. I think the corals were starving. What do you think?
I totally think they were starving.

What's the current state of the tank. Still high NO3, even higher (50ppm) and PO4 around (0.07-0.1). Some people said that they needed their PO4 to reach 0.2 to see their NO3 decrease. Ed (Big E) started a nice discussion in Matt's thread (here) about ratios. I'm far from the "ideal" ratio for the bacteria to work. Now I'm having a Marine Pure 8*4*4 block, 3l of Siporax and carbon dosing. Not sure what route should I take. I'm happy with the survival and pretty ahppy with the colour of some corals but I know that lower levels would give me the colour I'm looking for.

I did rearrange my scape because I almost had no space on the sides between rock and glass. The corals did feel the change and lost some color.

I'm now battling AEFW. Found them in my A. florida when doing my rock basting routine. When I saw them I blamed myself for not realising before. The colony showed poor polyp extension and lost some colour and I did not relate it to any pest. D*mn!

I purchased a Macropharyngodon bipartitus, 4 Chrysiptera springeri and started dosing Zeovit Flatworm Stop. I do baste my colonies every second day and dip my frags twice per week. I'll keep with this routine for 8 weeks and see if I can manage the infestation. If I see not positive results, I'll have to chisel encrusted colonies to dip every single acropora in the tank. Now I'm more for the control than for the erradication.

Thanks for visiting Sahin (please update your thread )

Unread 10/30/2017, 10:32 AM   #40
kainic
Registered Member

Picture update with 2 new corals (pink lemonade and SSC) and growth pics (2 months apart)

Unread 11/03/2017, 10:29 AM   #41
kainic
Registered Member

Growth on Acropora tortuosa.

Nothing impressive right? Well, first picture is October 30th and second picture is November 3rd. Growing faster than my monti caps. Edited: 3rd pic is Nov 9th

Last edited by kainic; 11/09/2017 at 08:45 AM.
Unread 11/07/2017, 11:44 PM   #42
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Tank is looking great and coral growth is awesome! Following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMOORE0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 04:01 PM   #43
reefmutt
Registered Member

Wow, Sergi, that growth is amazing. That tort is taking of!
All the corals seem to be getting into a growth spurt.
Very nice!

Unread 11/13/2017, 12:35 PM   #44
kainic
Registered Member

Montipora setosa
DSC_0159.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora florida
DSC_0151.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora "Hawkins" echinata
DSC_0139.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora nana "tricolor"
DSC_0133.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora "Ice&Fire" echinata
DSC_0128.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora granulosa
DSC_0125.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora "Cali tort" tortuosa
DSC_0122.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora millepora
DSC_0114-2.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr
DSC_0114.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Unread 11/13/2017, 12:36 PM   #45
kainic
Registered Member

Acropora "Red planet" hyacinthus
DSC_0105.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr
Same coral 6 months before
DSC_1756.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Pink lemonade
DSC_0095.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Acropora "SSC" microclados
DSC_0092.jpg by Sergi Florit, en Flickr

Unread 11/13/2017, 02:01 PM   #46
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

Outstanding Sergi!

MMOORE0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 10:30 AM   #47
reefmutt
Registered Member

Beautiful shots, Sergi.
Corals are haaaaaapy and growing fast!

Unread 11/16/2017, 08:59 AM   #48
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Just subscribed.

What are you dosing in these days and what are the latest nutrient test results Sergi?

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2017, 09:11 AM   #49
kainic
Registered Member

My daily dosing routine is:

- 3ml TM Bacto Balance
- 3ml TM Elements A-
- 3ml KZ Flatworm Stop (I had AEFW and this helped me a lot to win the battle, I'm dosing it for prevention)

Weekly 1 spoon of TM Reef Actif (man, the growth just exploded!)

My nitrates are 25-50 on Salifert (I'm just ignoring it) and my last PO4 test was several months ago, it was 0.09 (I'm not ignoring, just not testing)

My export system is:
- 3L of Siporax
- Nyos Quatum 160
- Chaeto sandwich
I took my MarinePure block offline, I think it was doing nothing for my system.

I know my colors could be much much better, but I'm really happy how my tank is doing now. Nothing dies, everything grows at a good pace and when I look at my tank all I see is vibrant and happy corals (and lots of tiny vermetid snails ).

Stop chasing numbers for me.

Thanks for subscribing Bülent and I appreciate your coments Matt & Matt.

Unread 01/26/2018, 10:45 AM   #50
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Hey Sergi.

How is everything goin currently? Are you still dosing everything you were back in November and at the same levels, especially interested in reef actif. Awesome to see how the tank responded over the past year.

With your nitrates and phosphate levels that high, do you have any algae or do you have a large clean up crew?

Also, are you two part dosing or do you have a calcium reactor? I couldnt find it anywhere unless I missed it.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote