Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Royal Exclusiv / Bubble King
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2017, 04:18 PM   #1
jlfalin
Registered Member

Leveling RD230 for Closed Loop

I am currently plumbing my RD230 for my closed loop and have an issue with the pump being level. I have a 2" ball valve on the pump inlet and a 2" on the pump output. This makes the pump sit lopsided and not on all the rubber feet. I have done my best to prop up the low sides but it is still not 100% level. Will this be a problem with leaving it like this long term? Are there any suggestions to helping get the pump level easily?

Thanks,
Levi

jlfalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 04:57 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfalin View Post
I am currently plumbing my RD230 for my closed loop and have an issue with the pump being level. I have a 2" ball valve on the pump inlet and a 2" on the pump output. This makes the pump sit lopsided and not on all the rubber feet. I have done my best to prop up the low sides but it is still not 100% level. Will this be a problem with leaving it like this long term? Are there any suggestions to helping get the pump level easily?

Thanks,
Levi
That won't be an issue. You could cut a piece of PVC and place it under the inlet side between the pipe and the ground assuming that is the side that is leaning downward.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 05:09 PM   #3
jlfalin
Registered Member

If I decided to raise the pump up on two strips of wood do you think this would lead to loud vibrations from the pump. I was going to cut another piece for under the intake ball valve to support that area. Looking forward to getting this closed loop plumbed so I can see what kind of flow it creates so I can then do my aquascape. Getting so close...

Unread 09/24/2017, 05:20 PM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfalin View Post
If I decided to raise the pump up on two strips of wood do you think this would lead to loud vibrations from the pump. I was going to cut another piece for under the intake ball valve to support that area. Looking forward to getting this closed loop plumbed so I can see what kind of flow it creates so I can then do my aquascape. Getting so close...
You could put the pump on a tambourine and there wouldnt be any vibrations. These pumps are the closest thing to silent and vibration free that you will find. My RD3 230 closed loop hard plumbed with rigid PVC to and from the tank and the RD3 230 return pump is hard plumbed from the sump to the tank. They don't vibrate at all. Bottom line, you have nothing to worry about whether you choose to address it or not or whether you place it on wood, rubber mat, concrete etc.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 09/24/2017, 05:27 PM   #5
slief
RC Sponsor

Once you get it setup, please report back. I think you're going to be shocked not only about how quiet and vibration free it is but also by the flow it produces. I know I was when I got mine when they were first released a couple years ago. Heck, when I setup my first one for my closed loop, I thought I got a dead one. It made no noise or vibration so I thought it was dead. It wasn't until I looked close below my live rock and saw the sand being blasted out from underneath that I realized just how quiet a pump could actually be. Mine happened to be relacing a Reeflo Super Dart Gold and I thought that thing was quiet but these RD3's borderline on dead silent..

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:49 PM   #6
jlfalin
Registered Member

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:49 PM   #7
jlfalin
Registered Member

Unread 09/27/2017, 06:52 PM   #8
jlfalin
Registered Member

Not sure how to shrink my pictures but finally got my closed loop plumbed. Only 2 small leaks that I will be fixing soon. The RD230 is super powerful putting out great flow. IT is very silent but I can still hear it running. Granted this is in the basement with no other sounds with only me and the pump in the room. Great pump. Works great with the oceans motions 4 way. Now to play with in tank plumbing and get the tank scaped and filled with saltwater.

Thanks for all the help Scott.

Unread 09/27/2017, 07:22 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Very nice plumbing work. I think it will likely quiet down but my guess is that the noise you are hearing is the water running thought the pump and plumbing as the motors themselves are virtually silent. If your leaks were on threaded fittings, you would be best off using paste instead of teflon tape. I always use Oatey Great White with PTFE and never have any leaks. I've never had a leak with a glued joint either.

Unread 09/28/2017, 07:10 AM   #10
jlfalin
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliment. I worked hard to make it as nice and neat as I can. One of the leaks is from a threaded joint that has some torque on it. I should be getting the PVC parts today to correct that and take the stress off the threads. I also have another threaded joint that had a small drip but it stopped. That fitting was put together with Teflon paste. If it leaks again I will take it apart and reapply some more paste. My next goal is to find a large enough fuge and start plumbing my fuge and sump to the system. Of course with a RD230 for return.