Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2018, 10:56 AM   #1
squeakymcmurdo
Registered Member

Opinions on quarantine setup

Up until now I have used my 30 gallon tank to quarantine new marine fish (never needed to use copper and it has been torn down for several months). But I’m in the process of setting up a larger tank and I’m turning the 30g into a sump.

I will be selling the current tank. I have a large freshwater tank too so it’s just too much to have so many big tanks around.

I use a 50 gallon as my freshwater quarantine and I was wondering if it would be harmful to empty it between acquisitions and use the emergency quarantine method for both types of water.

Or divide it in half with a piece of glass and have a permanent 25 gallon on each side. I want to get a foxface so not sure if this would be adequate.

125 gallon waiting outside and functioning as my kids’ swimming pool until my husband helps me lift it onto the stand.
squeakymcmurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2018, 07:40 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

I don't see a problem with using the tank. Even half the tank would be adequate for the Foxface, but a full 50 gallon tank would be a better long tern QT.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2018, 01:56 AM   #3
Tastee
Registered Member

I have a 10g QT for my SW tank and plan to use it as a QT or HT for both my SW and FW tanks as needed in the future. It’s currently cycled and ready for the SW after using it to stock my SW but I will happily tear it down and repurpose it whenever I need to. It has a small sump at the back with ceramic noodles and sponge for filter, heater in the sump and a small gravity fed RODI ATO. I see no reason not to use it for either tank as needed.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote