Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/25/2017, 09:52 PM   #151
D&KSac
Premium Member

Well after a 4 year break from the hobby I was forced to take when my tank crashed due to main pump failure, i have decided to bring my 156 back to life. So here we go again.

A lot seems to have changed. LED lighting, pumps and other equipment seems to be at a much higher quality then when I set up my tank last time. So far my for sure shopping list is new LED lighting, a new return pump, and a new controller (my Aqua Controller Jr seems to be obsolete). Though I will be doing a lot of my own research over the next few weeks while my rebuild continues, any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

First and foremost the main pump. I see there have been some really good advancements with this. Are external pumps like the Dart still premier? Though my sump is drilled for an external it could be easily plugged for a submersible pump if they are better now.[IMG][/IMG]

David

For my Oceanic 156 Build thread click the little red house

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Ultimate 156, 40 gal sump/fuge, the rest is under construction.
D&KSac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2017, 06:53 PM   #152
Saltwaternooby
SPS junkie

Nice job saving your stuff to get back in easier.

I run a dc internal pump, as do many others. Low watts, but they do add heat. If you dont mind the added electricity external(dart) is still good. A few of the DC can be run externally also i believe.

Welcome Back

24g cube for ORA Picasso
Saltwaternooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 08:45 AM   #153
D&KSac
Premium Member

One main thing i would like to avoid on this build is using a chiller unless absolutely necessary. I would rather spend the money on LED's and other things that generate low heat. Pump failure combined with metal halide fixtures are what caused my tank to die last time. I would love to make it so i don't need to worry about heat in case something fails when i'm not around to catch it. Maybe an external is the way to go for me, i don't mind a little extra electricity use if it generates less heat.

David

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Ultimate 156, 40 gal sump/fuge, the rest is under construction.
Unread 09/29/2017, 09:33 AM   #154
P.Kelly
Registered Member

You can run many of the current AC and DC pumps externally if you want to plumb them. You won't need a chiller most of the year, and if you run your AC a lot you wont need it in the summer. Me, I'd rather cool my tank than my house.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170
P.Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 11:29 AM   #155
D&KSac
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Kelly View Post
You can run many of the current AC and DC pumps externally if you want to plumb them. You won't need a chiller most of the year, and if you run your AC a lot you wont need it in the summer. Me, I'd rather cool my tank than my house.
I'm considering a few things on the build this time. One thing that's for sure. Kristin doesn't want me plumbing through the wall this time. So placing a chiller out in the garage is out. The thought of having the noise of a chiller in my game room is not appealing. I keep my house at 78 during the summer so I'm not sure yet that ambient room temperature would contribute to extra heat. The more i read the more i'm leaning toward a dart/snapper hybrid.
The piece i'm still looking at financially is LED's vs. T-5's. I know LED's run much cooler than T'5's but at a much higher premium initially. These two item's are really what i need to figure out before i truly start my build.

David

Unread 09/29/2017, 06:37 PM   #156
D&KSac
Premium Member

Think I've made a decision on the lighting. Going with the Reefbreeders Photo V2-50. I'm pretty impressed by the reviews I've read as well as the options the fixture has. Anyone have this fixture and can I get your feed back and experience with it?

David