Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/02/2015, 03:07 AM   #51
EI Gringo
Registered Member

Pistol shrimp 99% sure

EI Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2016, 01:37 PM   #52
Mayberry
Registered Member

Mantis life span?

How long do mantis live in a tank?

Unread 02/02/2016, 07:33 PM   #53
SilvaReefer
Registered Member

Had a mantis for two years that I couldn't trap no matter what I tried. He was a really wily critter. So I borrowed a snow flake eel and within a day the mantis was eaten. The eel was a lot easier to trap and return to the shop.

SilvaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2016, 05:45 PM   #54
Dmize
Registered Member

wow... interesting reads here. Found one in a bucket we used to transport some LR from our LFS so we tossed him in our sump. Have not seen him since... about 2 months ago.

Dmize is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 01:54 AM   #55
Zatoichi
Registered Member

Mantis shrimp are no joke we had a couple crushing mantis that would drive us nuts with popping all the time finally had to take all of the rock out and dip them one by one into a bucket of fresh water and boom he came shooting out :-) he must have been a tiny baby when he came into the system but he was the size of my pinky by the time he got done eating everything hahaha

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2016, 05:41 PM   #56
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

What did you do with him?

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2017, 04:42 AM   #57
NilsRenstrom
Registered Member

I got a mantis shrimp as a hitchhiker back in 2015. It took a while to properly identify him, but eventually i saw him searching for food during dusk feeding... A small, lime green mantis, not more than 2-3 inches long. Always curious and on its toes while feeding.

He lived a long time peacefully in the community with a boxing shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp till one day he decided he wanted the peppermint shrimp and just went for it... it was obvious that the other shrimps were alive only because the mantis just hadn't decided to eat them yet. I managed to catch him in a bottle trap and move him to a separate 30L aquarum where he seemed to do well.

When the main display got upgraded in may 2016 (and i grew tired of taking care of two aquariums) he moved in to the sump of the main aquarium, living off the food that was passed down from above. He didn't make much of a fuzz and we started to presume he was dead. We sold off a lot of the leftover rock from a rescape and still didn't find the shrimp. The unsold rock was then put in a barrel with circulation, but no heat or light and put away for a few months. When the last piece of rock had been sold, without spotting the shrimp, i decided to empty the barrel. While i poured all of the remaining water out i spotted the shrimp, well alive and kickin'. He had been living in cold water for the greater part of two months, with no lightning or feeding. Amazed by the hardiness he was, again, moved into the sump and later on i managed to find a suitable home for him... Extrordinary creatures!

NilsRenstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2017, 09:41 AM   #58
nmotz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilsRenstrom View Post
I got a mantis shrimp as a hitchhiker back in 2015. It took a while to properly identify him, but eventually i saw him searching for food during dusk feeding... A small, lime green mantis, not more than 2-3 inches long. Always curious and on its toes while feeding.

He lived a long time peacefully in the community with a boxing shrimp, cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp till one day he decided he wanted the peppermint shrimp and just went for it... it was obvious that the other shrimps were alive only because the mantis just hadn't decided to eat them yet. I managed to catch him in a bottle trap and move him to a separate 30L aquarum where he seemed to do well.

When the main display got upgraded in may 2016 (and i grew tired of taking care of two aquariums) he moved in to the sump of the main aquarium, living off the food that was passed down from above. He didn't make much of a fuzz and we started to presume he was dead. We sold off a lot of the leftover rock from a rescape and still didn't find the shrimp. The unsold rock was then put in a barrel with circulation, but no heat or light and put away for a few months. When the last piece of rock had been sold, without spotting the shrimp, i decided to empty the barrel. While i poured all of the remaining water out i spotted the shrimp, well alive and kickin'. He had been living in cold water for the greater part of two months, with no lightning or feeding. Amazed by the hardiness he was, again, moved into the sump and later on i managed to find a suitable home for him... Extrordinary creatures!
wow that is awesome! Wish all mantis shrimp were that hardy, but that is really impressive.

Current Tank Info: 20L Peacock mantis shrimp tank
nmotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2018, 11:40 PM   #59
Kharsin
Registered Member

"Mantis shrimp also do not eat corals, nor will they damage them. The only exception is if the coral is not anchored down to a rock. The mantis will usually move the coral to block its burrow entrance, only it will be the wrong side up. So your corals are safe."

Forgive my saltwater inexperience, but I take it from this quote that corals are relatively safe with Mantis Shrimp, provided they are secured? I'm asking because I would like to keep a Peacock Shrimp, but wasn't sure if keeping corals with them was viable. Of course, I'd love to keep a lot of things eventually, but something about the Peacock makes me want to start there. I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure if there's much info on keeping corals with a mantis, other then I've seen lots of threads like this one on how to get them out of the aquarium rather than keep them in one.

Current Tank Info: Wife has a 37 gallon freshwater | 7.9 gallon freshwater | dreams of a pico reef (in progress)
Kharsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 01:48 AM   #60
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

I don’t see why not! I think they just get a bad rep for the wrong reasons, they’re such fascinating creatures!

Unread 04/25/2018, 12:56 AM   #61
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

So mantis will not eat or mess with corals except how its stated there, where they might steal your frags to use as building material or to block their tunnel entrances when they sleep at night.

HOWEVER.

Some species like peacocks do not tolerate high light very well. There is a theory (think its still just a theory) that it can cause shell rot or somehow affect the animals health in a negative way. There are species of mantis that live in high light coral areas you can go with if having a coral reef tank is what you want to do. Otherwise you would need to build around that idea.

Some people will get LED spotlight style lights and focus them down on say, just a single rock outcrop in the tank so they can mount some coral there, but the majority of the rest of the tank isn't really lit including where the mantis shrimp is going to live.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 01:42 AM   #62
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Oh true lol I don’t have lights on my mantis tanks so I tend to forget that

Unread 04/26/2018, 06:18 PM   #63
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadla View Post
I don’t see why not! I think they just get a bad rep for the wrong reasons, they’re such fascinating creatures!
I think the problem is what they like to do to sleeping fish

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 11:55 PM   #64
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

I think thats pretty species dependent when it comes to hunting sleeping fish, or perhaps more an opportunistic behavior. I kept fish with my ternatensis and not a single one died in the few years I had him.

Now my CUC crew, that was another matter lolol. I just kept my choices of snails and hermits restocked and highly varied in size and species to figure out which stuff he preferred over others so I knew what to buy more of to actually function as CUC and what to buy that was just a longer lived mid-day snack. haha.

My Ternatensis even when full grown never killed a Turbo snail. He popped one a few times but gave up really fast on it. He would dESTROY hermit crabs and any other crab I put in. Absolutely loved them. Smaller snails like trochus and astrea lasted longer but eventually would become a snack. I can't say he never killed a nassarius but I had quite a few and easily could have missed a few getting killed.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 02:41 PM   #65
Angel*Fish
cats and large squashes

I imagine it could be species specific, but as far as I know there's no list of fish safe mantises. It also depends on the type of fish you have. I don't think you'd have to worry about a trigger fish, for example

I'd be concerned it was eating things like amphipods and worms which I'd find very objectionable

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Current Tank Info: Pairs: flame angels, cherub angels, Red Sea mimic blennies, yellow fin fairy wrasses, clowns, mandarins, blackcap basslets, shrimp gobies, damsels, dispar anthias, yellow clown gobies, threadfin cardinals --- Tanks: 100g reef, 2 x 30g refugiums
Angel*Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2019, 03:08 AM   #66
Qob
Registered Member

Catch by oppo

Qob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2020, 11:20 AM   #67
Milemarker0
Registered Member

Good job on the mantis shrimp trap.

Milemarker0 is offline   Reply With Quote