Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2019, 08:34 AM   #1
PlantedReef
Registered Member

Rock Flower Anemone

I'm hoping to find someone that has some rock flower anemone (or I guess any anemone) experience. I made the newbie mistake of adding 3 Ultra Rock Flower Anemones to my aquarium. I say mistake because I later found out that my tank is not mature enough for anemones yet. My tank has been running for about 2 months and has 5 fish and like a dozen corals (mostly just frags at this point). My water parameters are 0 ammonia (API test kit), 0 nitrite (API test kit), 0 nitrate (API test kit), 0 phosphate (Salifert test kit), SG 1.025, temperature 78F, pH 8.0. I don't recall alkalinity, calcium or magnesium but they are close to the normal range for a reef tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon sump and using dual Current USA marine ic pro lights and dual 1050gph eFlux wavemakers (currently set to lower flow). Now that that's all out of the way... my issue is that they will not attach anywhere. I had them all attached for a few days in the beginning to the rock work but, one by one dropped off and they just sit on the sand closed up and upside down. Sometimes they will partially open up and then just close up again later. I've tried setting them in a good hole in the rocks and they attach and open up but then overnight they're on the sand again. I've even tried using the PVC endcaps buried in the sand and they stay there for a little while and slowly end up back under the rock work closed up in a ball or maybe partially open just laying there. I've had these guys for a couple of weeks now and trying my best to just leave them alone but, they aren't getting any food since they are not positioned to feed them. I know now that I should not have bought these yet but, now that I have them, I really want to do my part and do what I can. Does anyone have any advice here? What is it about the tank (not mature enough) that would make them so uncomfortable? And, is there anything I can do to make adjustments that may make them less stressed? Thanks for reading.

PlantedReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I have seven plus a red BTA, going on five years now. Strange creatures.
Once settled, may never move again unless you change light or flow.
They are nems, just leave them alone.
You have no control anyways, touching them just makes them more PO.

So, they don’t like salinity changes and don’t like being handled.

Not sure of your light. Seems maybe not intense.

Good luck

Last edited by Uncle99; 11/20/2019 at 11:20 AM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote