Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > "Frag" of the Month
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2012, 12:52 AM   #1
DonRe3fer
Registered Member

New 300 gallon setup

I am fairly new to the hobby (8 months to be exact) and have a couple questions for my new setup because i want everything to be perfect since im planning it to be an sps dominated tank.

1. Are refugiums beneficial to an sps tank?
2. Are mangroves effective nutrient removers? If so how many should i put in the refugium?
3. How much flow should i have in my display tank?
4. WHat kind of protein skimmer should i use for a tank this size?
5. What kind of chiller should i use and how many hp should it be?
6. Ive heard a lot of horror stories when it comes to calcium reactors? Are they really that complicated to use? Which kind do you recommend?

DonRe3fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Dexters Reef
Registered Member

I stumbled across this accidentally, it's in the wrong section. Can you make a new post in the general forums So more people see it?

Unread 10/13/2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Dexters Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRe3fer View Post
I am fairly new to the hobby (8 months to be exact) and have a couple questions for my new setup because i want everything to be perfect since im planning it to be an sps dominated tank.

1. Are refugiums beneficial to an sps tank?
2. Are mangroves effective nutrient removers? If so how many should i put in the refugium?
3. How much flow should i have in my display tank?
4. WHat kind of protein skimmer should i use for a tank this size?
5. What kind of chiller should i use and how many hp should it be?
6. Ive heard a lot of horror stories when it comes to calcium reactors? Are they really that complicated to use? Which kind do you recommend?
But anyways:
1 refugiums are beneficial to sps tanks, they help keep nitrates low
2 mangroves are "effective" nutrient removers, but they aren't the most efficient. They grow slow and do their job slow, but they do help. I would recommend cheato instead, it grows faster and works quicker
3 for a sps tank aim for at least a 40x turnover rate.
4 depends on water levels in your sump, and how heavy you are going to stock the tank with fish. I would say reef octopus is a great brand
5 do you notice your tank increasing temp when your lights are on? I've never needed a chiller so I can't recommend one.
6 I don't use one, but read they are tricky to get setup at first, but then it becomes easier. Instead of a Calc reactor I bought dosing pumps and timers with Bulk Reef Supply calcium and alkalinity supplements. Haven't had time to set this up yet and have been dosing manually for a few months now with good results