Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Stickboy97
Registered Member

DIY LED drivers at HomeDepot or Lowes?

I purchased a biocube 32 with a RepidLED DIY kit installed. I think one of the drivers may be out (continuing to test tomorrow).

If it is out, are there any drivers available at Home Depot or Lowes?

Or any other suggestions for quick pick up?

Unread 03/20/2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Dsekula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickboy97 View Post
I purchased a biocube 32 with a RepidLED DIY kit installed. I think one of the drivers may be out (continuing to test tomorrow).

If it is out, are there any drivers available at Home Depot or Lowes?

Or any other suggestions for quick pick up?
I've never seen just separate parts at either of those stores. If you can find one, a radio shack may carry some mix of parts you can use, they used to be my go to for that stuff but most closed. eBay or Amazon probably have something but if that's the case I'd personally just contact rapidLED as my experience with their coustomer service was great. Good luck!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 11:41 PM   #3
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

If you know what voltage you need, lots of different options to power leds. I've use phone chargers, battery chargers, and I'm currently using a computer power supply to power my tank.

ratherbeflyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 04:43 AM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbeflyen View Post
If you know what voltage you need, lots of different options to power leds. I've use phone chargers, battery chargers, and I'm currently using a computer power supply to power my tank.
The devices you speak of are not capable of being LED drivers by themselves as they are constant voltage devices and LEDs need constant current power supplies unless fitted with some other method of current limiting..

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:45 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

and no Home Depot will not carry them but you can purchase a replacement from many online electronics suppliers and have them in a few days or less...
digikey, mouser, newark, onlinecomponents, amazon, ebay and many more..

Post the brand/model number of the one you have if you need help sourcing a suitable replacement..

Unread 03/21/2018, 08:30 AM   #6
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The devices you speak of are not capable of being LED drivers by themselves as they are constant voltage devices and LEDs need constant current power supplies unless fitted with some other method of current limiting..
Ah yes, my mistake. Connecting leds directly to an ac/dc adapter can't possibly work.

[IMG]WIN_20161217_23_15_15_Pro WIN_20161217_23_16_03_Pro

[/IMG]

I guess this algae scrubber I made is working on potato power and not the 12v constant voltage ac/dc power supply?

Unread 03/21/2018, 10:00 AM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Ah yes, my mistake. Connecting leds directly to an ac/dc adapter can't possibly work.

I guess this algae scrubber I made is working on potato power and not the 12v constant voltage ac/dc power supply?
There is no need to argue..
Its certainly possible to have it work in some specific circumstances when you happen to fall into the small window of the LEDs IV curves.. or happen to be relying on the internal overcurrent protection of the power supply itself or inherent resistance of the conductors,etc... Its walking a fine line though..

In general its not the "correct/best" way to power LEDs that should normally be fed by a constant current source be that a simple resistor or a more advanced constant current circuit/driver..

I tend to avoid offering help/suggestions,etc... with hack/inferior methods when proper techniques are just about as easy to follow/understand/implement..
I'd rather provide information on the better ways to ensure a long life/quality product..

Unread 03/21/2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Stickboy97
Registered Member

After further testing, it isn't the driver it is the blue fish break out control board.

Called RapidLed & they are getting me a new one.

I can't say enough about how good the customer service is at RapidLED. When I had an onyx fixture on my main tank go out, they gave me a huge discount on a Corona. I've called Mike twice in the last 2 days & he is always willing to help with orders shipments etc.

Unread 03/21/2018, 11:44 AM   #9
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I tend to avoid offering help/suggestions,etc... with hack/inferior methods when proper techniques are just about as easy to follow/understand/implement..
I'd rather provide information on the better ways to ensure a long life/quality product..
Then say that instead of saying, "The devices you speak of are not capable of being LED drivers by themselves." That is a false statement.

I agree that a voltage and current regulated dc power supply is the "best" way to power leds, even better if it's adjustable, but it's not the only thing that works.

Unread 03/21/2018, 12:05 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Then say that instead of saying, "The devices you speak of are not capable of being LED drivers by themselves." That is a false statement.

I agree that a voltage and current regulated dc power supply is the "best" way to power leds, even better if it's adjustable, but it's not the only thing that works.
Like I said I'd rather not. and I also don't think this is the place for such discussion. I personally would NEVER build something like you have as its just not the right way to ever power an LEd.. It just so happens to work but that doesn't make it right by any means..

And to your latest attempt at a point...
You didn't make any statement to the effect that you must use caution or careful planning,etc... with your comment so why should I?

Unread 03/21/2018, 02:53 PM   #11
oreo57
Registered Member

Quote:

Still doesn't change the fact that is a horrible way to use LED's..

Good thing they are flexible w/ cooling..

Quote:
each LED requires a forward voltage of 2.0-2.8V at 750mA
would it really kill you to put a 10 cent resistor on the end??

That's for "normal" colors.. not red.
for deep red your diodes could be pulling 2A of current....
Why they haven't popped is ????? but certainly will have a shortened lifespan..

Better "Attempt" w/ 12V............
5 diodes of red...

Quote:
Solution 0: 5 x 1 array uses 5 LEDs exactly
+12V
+ -|>|- -|>|- -|>|- -|>|- -|>|- -/\/\/\- + R = 1 ohms
The wizard says: In solution 0:

each 1 ohm resistor dissipates 490 mW
the wizard thinks 1W resistors are needed for your application Help
together, all resistors dissipate 490 mW
together, the diodes dissipate 8400 mW
total power dissipated by the array is 8890 mW
the array draws current of 700 mA from the source.
Ever measure the current you are drawing?????

Last edited by oreo57; 03/21/2018 at 03:04 PM.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote