Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2017, 08:03 PM   #1
ClownfishNut
Registered Member

Anemone Help

I purchased a rose bubble tip anemone yesterday. I drove 90 minutes home, drip acclimated it for an hour and 15 minutes, then placed it on the rock where I hoped it would stay. The anemone stayed for about 2 hours then I woke up in the middle of the night to find it floating around the tank. I turned all the pumps off and let the anemone decide where it wanted to go. It chose a spot where its base is attached to a rock under a cave. The anemone looks great when the lights are on, with nice bubbles and appears normal. The lights went off an hour ago and now the anemone is closed up considerably. I have never had an anemone before so I may just be being overly cautious.

Tank parameters are all normal and have been for the 5 months the tank has been running.
155 gallons
Specific gravity- 1.025
Temp 77.8
Ph- 8.0
Ammonia, Nitrite, and nitrate- 0
Alk- 8.7
Mg- 1350
Ca- 420
I'm running 3 SBReefs basic black boxes at 70% blue and 30% white for 10 hours a day.
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!
I have included pictures of the anemone with and without the lights on
https://imgur.com/a/jtyhs

ClownfishNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 08:14 PM   #2
humphreyhh
Registered Member

Tank looks quite clean for a 5 month old tank. But anyway, as long as the water quality is in check I don't think there is too much to worry about. I don't know that light. I use LED. IMO, Btas are not too light hungry though. It lived under my 15 buck eBay led bulb for a couple of months without a problem.

If it looks like this for more than a day, I would recheck everything. Otherwise, you are fine.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

humphreyhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 08:28 PM   #3
subbedout
Registered Member

Mine closes up at night and opens when lights are on. Anemones are odd creatures. I spent the first 2 weeks worrying about what it was doing. It will inflate, deflate, ball up, move, float, and as long as it's not diced up in the wavemaker, it is probably doing ok.

subbedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 08:30 PM   #4
subbedout
Registered Member

Also it may have chosen that spot because it's far from the lights. Depending on what lighting it was kept under before you got it, your lights may be too bright and it will need a few weeks to adjust like mine did.

subbedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 03:29 PM   #5
ClownfishNut
Registered Member

The anemone is still in the same spot, but now is shriveling up and has very thin tentacles. Should I move it to a separate container? Any ideas or thoughts? Sorry for the bad image quality
http://imgur.com/a/vGZ57

ClownfishNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 04:01 PM   #6
Mr. Eel
Best eel owner in the US

What are you saying it looks fine in that pic. You know in a nem is sick when it's stomach is comin out otherwise as long as you have light and flow it will be fine.

PS that tank is not 5 months old that dry rock was put in like a week ago

Current Tank Info: 125 gal reef tank 50gal Fo 50 gal Mixed reef
Mr. Eel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 11:16 AM   #7
hfa3501
Registered Member

I also have a question about my green carpet nem. I have had it for about 3mos and it has relocated to it's chosen spot....eating well, inflated and wide open....even looks like it's getting bigger. My question is, that a lot of its color has faded from a bright green to almost "dirty" looking - like there is brown algae growing on it - the kind you get on your glass......what am I missing? Water params are 79.0 degrees, sal 1.025, alk/DkH 10.5, Phos .03, and zero nitrates....I feed him krill 2-3 times a week

hfa3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 07:46 AM   #8
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfa3501 View Post
I also have a question about my green carpet nem. I have had it for about 3mos and it has relocated to it's chosen spot....eating well, inflated and wide open....even looks like it's getting bigger. My question is, that a lot of its color has faded from a bright green to almost "dirty" looking - like there is brown algae growing on it - the kind you get on your glass......what am I missing? Water params are 79.0 degrees, sal 1.025, alk/DkH 10.5, Phos .03, and zero nitrates....I feed him krill 2-3 times a week
You should make your own thread (with pictures) as your situation does not apply to this one.

However, it sounds like it was slightly bleached/ had a neonish green color and is now regaining its zooxanthellae. And/or not enough light or correct spectrum.

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 09:48 AM   #9
hfa3501
Registered Member

Ok thank you, will do

hfa3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 09:52 AM   #10
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

To the Main OP:

The Nem, is checking out your place. It has no eyes or brains, but it sense light and flow.

In the night time, it will pull back (so predators does not eat it over night) and in the morning it will get back out with the light.

It will have to adapt to being moved as all its tissue was focused on its previous position and it will have to "reshape" all its soft parts, to be in this new spot.

It might lead to it acting weird in the first time but soon it will flower and close up for the night every day.

Do not be alarmed by it deflating as such, they do deflate.
If you at any time see the skin coming of off the outer surface, that's when you should remove it for the safety of the rest of your tank/livestock.

Unless the outer tissue is doing the clear decay, it is probably just normal deflation you are seeing.

I also agree that all I did for the first couple of weeks of owning a Nem, was worry.

It is kinda feeling it's way in its new place, just make sure you try to observe it's reactions and eventually you can (kinda) tell what it is doing.

And have fun!

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 09:54 AM   #11
Small Heavens
In Memoriam

To the other question:
It sounds af is you have a bleached Nem.
It is growing more "brown" because it is growing more algae on its inside - kinda like the same colour as you mentioned.

You might also want to soften the light if you think the actual outer colouring of the Nem is paling, as that can be from too much light.

And good luck and have fun to you as well.

Small Heavens is offline   Reply With Quote