Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2017, 04:35 PM   #1
Kinetic
Registered Member

Anemone doesn't care for mysis?

I have a 1.5 week old rainbow btw. It recently stopped moving around and stays perched out of a cave even at night. I've tried feeding it PE Mysis daily, turning off the pump and droping 3 - 4 whole mysis right onto it. The anemone kind of reacts to it, sometimes holds on, but usually doesn't do anything with them.

I give up and 15 minutes later I turn the pumps on and ALL the mysis floats away.

Is this normal?

This is a photo of it a few days ago. Since then it has fully come out.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Cliving1
Registered Member

Perhaps try shrimp from the grocery store if its not accepting mysis? You could cut them up small into sizes it could handle.

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:16 PM   #3
Fiver
Registered Member

My RBTA will take mysis if I feed it, but I also rarely make any effort to feed it. Do you have fish? Do you feed your fish/"tank"? If so, you and your anemone could likely be completely fine.

Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:20 PM   #4
ssgss gogeta
Registered Member.

That rock looks spankingly brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgss gogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:20 PM   #5
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
My RBTA will take mysis if I feed it, but I also rarely make any effort to feed it. Do you have fish? Do you feed your fish/"tank"? If so, you and your anemone could likely be completely fine.
Nothing else other than one small Geometric Pygmy hawkfish. Plenty of light, just weird it won't hold onto anything.

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:23 PM   #6
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgss gogeta View Post
That rock looks spankingly brand new
Thanks! I always hear this undertone of "you're doing it wrong." when people say that. But I take it as a compliment.

To satiate those pointing out maturity of the tank: I can dose 2ppm of ammonia and have it drop to 0 ammonia/0 nitrite in less than 10 hours.

Plenty of algae on the rocks, but no nuisance algae. I have a huge algae reactor running in a reverse photo period. Also NoPo4-x as well. It is a ULNS for now, though at this point my nitrates are 25ppm and phosphates creeping up to 10ppb, which is why everything looks new.

Also, I haven't added much in terms of livestock, or anything that could've easily brought in any kind of hitchhikers.

My goal is to try to keep out coralline algae (and of course any other nuisances). Snail shell scrubbing, removing frag plugs before adding corals after a solid QT time, etc. I know it's unavoidable, but I've been doing my best.

Back to the anemone eating!

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:26 PM   #7
ashburn2k
Registered Member

Try raw pawn, or silverback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ashburn2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:27 PM   #8
Kinetic
Registered Member

Just took more photos a few minutes ago. I guess in this photo you can see more dark brown spots of algae. The glass has a film of brown algae that builds up every day. I just waste a lot of time during the day cleaning it and sifting the sand around.

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:28 PM   #9
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburn2k View Post
Try raw pawn, or silverback
Thanks! Time to head to the grocery store =) Not sure if he'll eat a gorilla, but a silverside might do...

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:29 PM   #10
ashburn2k
Registered Member

It won’t let me edit my own post, so for the shrimp, I cut them small but also squeezed using my fingers so it’s easier for it to take in and digest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ashburn2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:30 PM   #11
Jazeel55
Registered Member

Try a more mature tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazeel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburn2k View Post
It won’t let me edit my own post, so for the shrimp, I cut them small but also squeezed using my fingers so it’s easier for it to take in and digest
Good tip! Thanks

Unread 10/12/2017, 06:00 PM   #13
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazeel55 View Post
Try a more mature tank
seriously, thank you.

Unread 10/12/2017, 08:27 PM   #14
Gig 'em
Registered Member

The anemone looks pretty healthy to me to be honest, the tentacles have good shape and aren't flaccid or stretched out too much. Honestly I never feed anemones, I think it's s common misconception that anemones need to be fed regularly. My friends and I who own multiple anemones have stopped feeding ours entirely and they seem to be very happy. I tried heavily feeding my anemones before and their health actually started to decline. IMO a healthy and happy anemone can survive on light alone in a mature tank.

But Just curious, how old is your tank? People raise the point that your rock is white because even a well aged and mature tank will add some color to brand new rock. Not that you can't have success in a newer tank, but it can explain why critters aren't successful.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 09:13 PM   #15
Kinetic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
The anemone looks pretty healthy to me to be honest, the tentacles have good shape and aren't flaccid or stretched out too much. Honestly I never feed anemones, I think it's s common misconception that anemones need to be fed regularly. My friends and I who own multiple anemones have stopped feeding ours entirely and they seem to be very happy. I tried heavily feeding my anemones before and their health actually started to decline. IMO a healthy and happy anemone can survive on light alone in a mature tank.

But Just curious, how old is your tank? People raise the point that your rock is white because even a well aged and mature tank will add some color to brand new rock. Not that you can't have success in a newer tank, but it can explain why critters aren't successful.
That's good to know. My last RBTA I never fed either, but I figured I would ask.

I understand why people talk about newer tanks, I do that too sometimes! Clean tanks usually lead to questionable starts, like if you can feed the tank like crazy and have enough bacteria built up to handle it, if your parameters are stable enough, if you have enough pods and such to pickup any detritus and help break things down (or feed animals that aren't directly eating).

I chose to go slow, and keep nutrients low from the start. using dead/dry rock and sand, and dosing ammonium chloride to thoroughly cycle and test my tank's abilities, it really has left my tank looking really clean. If you look closely, there are pods running around, brown algae film everywhere. I have had nassarius, trochus, and cerith snails in the tank for awhile (none have died, though I only have 4, 10, and 10 of each, so not too many, but enough to keep some junk at bay). Also running a gigantic chaeto reactor that is probably outcompeting most algae at the moment.

I think I'm too careful to a fault. Photography is huge for me, so I hope to try to keep it as clean and photogenic as possible. I guess it looks unnatural? =P