Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2015, 02:11 PM   #1
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Cutting a slot for an overflow in back of glass tank?

I just bought an awesome half-cylinder tank called the Marineland Half-Moon 30g. It is 27" long by 14" wide by 28" tall and made out of nice thick glass. I would like to cut a slot approximately 12" long by 1/4" tall to allow water to overflow into a glass sump-like compartment that I would build onto the back of the aquarium.

So what's the best way to go about cutting this slot? And how close to the top of the tank could I reasonably put it? (It's frameless on the top). I have a dremel tool, but would be willing to buy whatever I would need to do this, and have successfully cut several glass holes with diamond tipped bits in the past several years.

widmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Pife
Registered Member

I am interested to see if this is even possible.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 07:35 PM   #3
uncleof6
Registered Member

Pife,

Such things are done prior to any other fabrication being done. That way you only lose raw materials, not a finished product. The best method, for longevity of the glass, is using a Techni. That is not something that folks will have in their garage, nor are they likely to buy one for notching a tank. CNC waterjet @ $100,000 +++. With enough time, it can be done by hand, but the results are dismal at best, and still need professional finishing, to insure stress fracturing is very minimal, or not present at all.

It is best to refer such things to professional glass fabrication shops for assessment as to practicality, particularly when dealing with a finished product.

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2015, 08:14 PM   #4
xdunaticx
Moved On

Take it too a glass shop, and see what they can do for you!

xdunaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Willistein
Registered Member

I've wondered about this as well. How deep do you want to make the cut? wherever it is will determine the height of water in your display. I would try a drill press with your diamond hole saw to make the beginning and end of the slot. The corners should be round to reduce stress. As for the center I'm not sure that hand tools will work very well, but slow, careful work with diamond cutting blade on a small angle grinder might work. Post pics if you do it!

Willistein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:48 AM   #6
mr.maroonsalty
Registered Member

I'd do it with a circular saw and a diamond blade with plenty of water. I would drill small relief holes at the beginning and end of the cut. The saw is then left with the depth lock open and is allowed to slowly enter the cut, plunging, then is locked down right at full penetration, so not to wonder or bind. You will have to decide if cutting the trim away is a structural risk worth taking. Another way of doing this is with diamond dremmel type tool: again with plenty of water, working wet and slowly you can etch your way through working the entire cut little by little through the glass.

This is the do it your self section; it seems people have missed that point. Like any do it yourself project things sometimes go wrong. If you are not comfortable working with tools please don't attempt doing things like this. $10k glass cutting tools have not been around as long as glass which people started cutting very thick peices of into intricate shapes long before UNCLE was born. Maybe research how glass was cut in a mid evil or gothic cathedral. I'm sure there are other ways than the ones I described.

Current Tank Info: 140 dt reef

Last edited by mr.maroonsalty; 02/23/2015 at 08:53 AM.
mr.maroonsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 09:17 AM   #7
mr.maroonsalty
Registered Member

The first time I saw a circular saw used was on the late Greg Scheimer's tank. Anyone who remembers Greg's advice about drilling might know how he felt about drilling holes in tanks below where one would be comfortable losing all the water to when it leaks. Greg's tank was moved in 5 peices and reassembled. I believe Peter was using the bottom for the rear overflow and cutting a similar slot as the op; the bottom was tempered! Panels were moved and another new one ordered, but the cut was performed the same way. Peter is a high end trim carpenter and very good with tools.

Unread 02/23/2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Willistein
Registered Member

I might have to buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWC860W.../dp/B003BVW5NU

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dewalt_tile_saw.JPG (47.7 KB, 78 views)
Unread 02/23/2015, 10:34 AM   #9
tidus10
Registered Member

if someone does this I REALLY WANT A VIDEO... i just dont see it ending well honestly..

Current: 40B- Fish, Water, Rocks, Sand, Pumps, Heaters, Skimmer, Coral
93C build coming soon
tidus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 10:58 AM   #10
Willistein
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.maroonsalty View Post
The first time I saw a circular saw used was on the late Greg Scheimer's tank. Anyone who remembers Greg's advice about drilling might know how he felt about drilling holes in tanks below where one would be comfortable losing all the water to when it leaks. Greg's tank was moved in 5 peices and reassembled. I believe Peter was using the bottom for the rear overflow and cutting a similar slot as the op; the bottom was tempered! Panels were moved and another new one ordered, but the cut was performed the same way. Peter is a high end trim carpenter and very good with tools.
This is cool - was this around Rochester somewhere?

With the right blade, water cooling, and a straight guide, cutting thick glass is simple. That being said, I would do some practice first.

Unread 02/23/2015, 11:12 AM   #11
mr.maroonsalty
Registered Member

It was in the Hudson Valley. I've done it several times with my slide saw, but that was in fabrication mode with smaller panes.

Unread 02/23/2015, 11:29 AM   #12
mr.maroonsalty
Registered Member

I had things a wee bit off; the bottom blew when drilling. The cutting is all the same, and starts around page 4-6:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=11406.80

Unread 02/23/2015, 12:57 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidus10 View Post
if someone does this I REALLY WANT A VIDEO... i just dont see it ending well honestly..
I'm with ya! Show me the video.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 02:10 PM   #14
Lincutis
Registered Member

Instead of something so difficult why not just drill a series of holes to do the same function.

Current Tank Info: 40 Gallon Breeder with 20 gallon sump./Apex, AI Sol Blue, In Sump Skimmer, Geo Calcium Reactor, WP-25 Wave Pump, Tunze Nano ATO, Carbon/GFO Reactors
Lincutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 02:43 PM   #15
jimmy_beaner
Registered Member

Or would it be possible to install an internal overflow box connected to an external box via a couple bulkheads? That would provide you with something with a higher chance of success and would likely be more structurally sound.

jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 02:57 PM   #16
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

I've cut a 1" wide x 9" long slot on the short side of my 40 Breeder. External box installed with silicone. I'll post a few pics with a OP request.

03LightningSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 03:30 PM   #17
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.maroonsalty View Post
I had things a wee bit off; the bottom blew when drilling. The cutting is all the same, and starts around page 4-6:
http://hvreef.org/yabb/index.php?topic=11406.80
Awesome build! All of that glass cutting makes my little project look like nothing by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistein View Post
I had considered one of these, but the lack of ability to control the speed concerns me! Would much rather grind away slowly than at 11k rpm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleof6 View Post
Pife,

With enough time, it can be done by hand, but the results are dismal at best, and still need professional finishing, to insure stress fracturing is very minimal, or not present at all.
I don't see this as having to be any riskier than cutting a hole for an overflow. With all of the successful examples on google, where are you getting the "dismal at best" from?

Unread 02/23/2015, 03:37 PM   #18
widmer
Drug Enthusiast

What do you guys think of one of these attached to my dremel:

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ545-2...0XHBCPH8JBKCWS

Unread 02/23/2015, 03:47 PM   #19
jimmy_beaner
Registered Member

I've used it for my sump and it worked pretty well. Takes time obviously, but it worked. If you want nice pretty cuts you'll need to really take your time.

jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2015, 08:13 PM   #20
m1k3
Registered Member

Why dont you just disassemble the tank, cut the top inch off the back glass and reassemble attaching your external overflow to the back?

m1k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 04:04 PM   #21
03LightningSVT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
i've used it for my sump and it worked pretty well. Takes time obviously, but it worked. If you want nice pretty cuts you'll need to really take your time.
+1

03LightningSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 07:37 PM   #22
Hawk72
Registered Member

It can be done. This is 8" long by 1" deep. One of these on each side of a 48" tank. I did this with a dremel.

Hawk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2015, 10:56 PM   #23
uncleof6
Registered Member

It can be done. That does not mean you should be doing it by hand. I addressed that in my original post.

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2015, 08:50 AM   #24
Willistein
Registered Member

Hawk, apparently you SHOULD have used a $100,000 water jet machine.

Last edited by Willistein; 02/25/2015 at 09:04 AM.
Unread 02/25/2015, 10:13 AM   #25
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistein View Post
Hawk, apparently you SHOULD have used a $100,000 water jet machine.
That's not exactly all Uncle said. He recommended going to a pro. Making the cut is one thing, doing it so it won't fail later is quite another.

It would be bad enough to loose a new tank when cutting but it would be much worse to loose the tank when full of water inside your house!