Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/11/2012, 07:30 AM   #6851
chingchai
Premium Member

GIT RITE, hump.
Thank you for your kind words.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2012, 10:52 AM   #6852
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

I think if Chingchai goes LED he will choose Eco-Lamps.
Just an intuition

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2012, 02:11 PM   #6853
Zoanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
I use Reef Crystal from France.
Marinium is not suitable to keep reef tank.
Really? what makes you say that? I know a few people that use it and say its fine.

Zoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2012, 09:13 AM   #6854
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Noob View Post
I think if Chingchai goes LED he will choose Eco-Lamps.
Just an intuition
Exactly!

Unread 04/12/2012, 09:16 AM   #6855
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoanut View Post
Really? what makes you say that? I know a few people that use it and say its fine.
Can you show me some pictures of their tanks?
So far I've never seen any of nice tank with Marinium.

Unread 04/13/2012, 11:55 AM   #6856
Briney Dave
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
Exactly!
I may be way off base in my understanding of LED lighting but it does not seem to me that there is enough "punch" to reach deeper tanks in a way that equals M/H. I am only 30" deep but most units I am looking are either almost a spot light to have PAR at depth or a nice spread but not enough energy

I can't remember the depth of Ching's tank off the top of my head but know its much deeper than mine.

on the plus side it seems as though the LED has come a long way in the last year or so in terms of matching spectrum for shallower tanks

I am way out of my league in saying those things thus this is a question more than statement?

am I wrong in what I think here??

Briney Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 04:32 PM   #6857
coralreefdoc
Moved On

Not at all, IMO. Im not a big proponent of LEDs at this point in the game ...

Personally, the Radion is the first unit Id even consider and only on shallower reef systems.

I believe "Chingchai's Masterpiece" is 48" deep. Correct me if I am wrong, Chingchai

coralreefdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2012, 09:25 PM   #6858
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briney Dave View Post
I may be way off base in my understanding of LED lighting but it does not seem to me that there is enough "punch" to reach deeper tanks in a way that equals M/H. I am only 30" deep but most units I am looking are either almost a spot light to have PAR at depth or a nice spread but not enough energy

I can't remember the depth of Ching's tank off the top of my head but know its much deeper than mine.

on the plus side it seems as though the LED has come a long way in the last year or so in terms of matching spectrum for shallower tanks

I am way out of my league in saying those things thus this is a question more than statement?

am I wrong in what I think here??
I agree with you.
So far I think MH is still the best.
Look at this picture and ask yourself which one you prefer:

Unread 04/13/2012, 09:27 PM   #6859
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralreefdoc View Post
Not at all, IMO. Im not a big proponent of LEDs at this point in the game ...

Personally, the Radion is the first unit Id even consider and only on shallower reef systems.

I believe "Chingchai's Masterpiece" is 48" deep. Correct me if I am wrong, Chingchai
Yes, my tank is 48" deep.

Unread 04/13/2012, 11:42 PM   #6860
bullitr
broke but happy

Metal halide is still best for this masterpiece IMO
We just like LEDs because of the energy saving and the colors it can produce
Ching Chai already added some LEDs for supplementation and probably will switch out all his VHO to LEDs for more pop.
If you look into getting leds I would suggest Radions, reef tech , Hyperion and Orpek ( this is the only one I never seen in person but Peter have good results with it) Or built it yourself.

48" tall tank can be easily penetrated by LEDs with optics but it will create a disco lighting effect so I praise Ching chai for not jumping into LEDs bandwagon since this tank is a Masterpiece.

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 12:05 AM   #6861
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

The comparison picture of Paul's reef speaks a 1000 words. The colour that LEDs bring about is just something amazing.
I wouldnt say that deep tanks cannot have LEDs. Why not? Proper choice of LED diodes, optics and planned aquascaping and proper coral selection and placement will give you success.
Just like you wouldn't use a 70 watt MH on a deep tank don't use a 1 watt LED with 45 degree optics. One can argue compared to MH growth of SPS in a LED system is lesser. Lets take MH, 10000 K brings about higher growth rate in SPS compared to 20000 K, this is where personal choice comes in. A majority of people i know uses 14000 -20000 K MH. Growth might be lesser, but the health is not compromised. Same is the case of LEDs. Make a choice based on the system. Each system has its personality and requirements. Observe how Paul has placed his LED systems....running vertical and parallel to each other. In a shallower narrower tank one wouldn't need so many systems, one can use fewer systems and place the LED systems horizontally.
IMHO at the present juncture cost of quality LED systems is the main inhibitory factor and not it's efficiency. LEDs will work in a deeper system, the above photos shows it.
Coming to Chinchai's reef, something out of the shelf might not be sufficient. But a customized LED system ($$$) with a quality LED manufacturer will do the trick
The technology is new, but it has definately arrived. It will only improve with time.

Happy Reefing!!

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 05:25 AM   #6862
ieatchinese
Premium Member

I am a little confused. While I understand sticking with a brand name because you have purchased in the past with no adverse or negative experience, my point in my last post on LED fixtures regarding the lack of spectrum is based on experience.

Again, most if not all of the fixtures that are being promoted in the recent posts only have three channels or three different color LED's. This includes Chingchai's outstanding post of photo comparison. The MH results in the photos is obviously a much better scenario.

I had 6 of what are arguably the best LED fixtures out there, the AI Sol's and just like the others that continue to be mentioned, they only have three channels (White, Blue and Royal Blue LED's). These lights do not provide enough spectrum for proper coloration of some corals.

All of the above is why I have suggested the Sunbrite F-Series fixtures. These new lights contain top quality LED's (same Cree's that the others use), but add more colors:

Cool White
Blue
Royal Blue
Red
Green
390 nm UV

I am not saying that the three extra colors/channels solve all of the issues, but it does go a long way in providing the color spectrum that is supplied by the more conventional, and less energy efficient MH, VHO or T5 solutions. Take a look at the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-LjK3Jqmc

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 750 XXL
ieatchinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 05:30 AM   #6863
Moser
Registered Member

Hi Chingchai,

When you use your GoPro camera underwater, do you get out of focus video with it?.
I get normal focus out of water, but as soon as I go into the water, the video images are slightly out of focus. Is there an autofocus option that I am missing?.

Thanks
Mo

Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 11:24 AM   #6864
nineball
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser View Post
Hi Chingchai,

When you use your GoPro camera underwater, do you get out of focus video with it?.
I get normal focus out of water, but as soon as I go into the water, the video images are slightly out of focus. Is there an autofocus option that I am missing?.

Thanks
Mo
Chingchai, forgive me for jumping in here but this is a subject close to my recent video experience. Mo, there is a special lens adapter that makes underwater photography with the GoPro crystal clear and in perfect focus. I couldn't believe the difference. I lent the camera to Mr. Wilson so I have forgotten the brand name of the accessory but I'm pretty sure if you google it it will pop up. I suspect Chingchai already knows about it as well because he knows everything about everything.....

and no there isn't a setting that you have missed......it will not clear up without the accessory.

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 06:58 PM   #6865
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitr View Post
Metal halide is still best for this masterpiece IMO
We just like LEDs because of the energy saving and the colors it can produce
Ching Chai already added some LEDs for supplementation and probably will switch out all his VHO to LEDs for more pop.
If you look into getting leds I would suggest Radions, reef tech , Hyperion and Orpek ( this is the only one I never seen in person but Peter have good results with it) Or built it yourself.

48" tall tank can be easily penetrated by LEDs with optics but it will create a disco lighting effect so I praise Ching chai for not jumping into LEDs bandwagon since this tank is a Masterpiece.
Good comment. Lawrence.
Thanks for sharing.

Unread 04/14/2012, 07:01 PM   #6866
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Noob View Post
The comparison picture of Paul's reef speaks a 1000 words. The colour that LEDs bring about is just something amazing.
I wouldnt say that deep tanks cannot have LEDs. Why not? Proper choice of LED diodes, optics and planned aquascaping and proper coral selection and placement will give you success.
Just like you wouldn't use a 70 watt MH on a deep tank don't use a 1 watt LED with 45 degree optics. One can argue compared to MH growth of SPS in a LED system is lesser. Lets take MH, 10000 K brings about higher growth rate in SPS compared to 20000 K, this is where personal choice comes in. A majority of people i know uses 14000 -20000 K MH. Growth might be lesser, but the health is not compromised. Same is the case of LEDs. Make a choice based on the system. Each system has its personality and requirements. Observe how Paul has placed his LED systems....running vertical and parallel to each other. In a shallower narrower tank one wouldn't need so many systems, one can use fewer systems and place the LED systems horizontally.
IMHO at the present juncture cost of quality LED systems is the main inhibitory factor and not it's efficiency. LEDs will work in a deeper system, the above photos shows it.
Coming to Chinchai's reef, something out of the shelf might not be sufficient. But a customized LED system ($$$) with a quality LED manufacturer will do the trick
The technology is new, but it has definately arrived. It will only improve with time.

Happy Reefing!!
Anup. You do explain it so clear. Thanks.
Yes, only time will tell.

Unread 04/14/2012, 07:13 PM   #6867
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatchinese View Post
I am a little confused. While I understand sticking with a brand name because you have purchased in the past with no adverse or negative experience, my point in my last post on LED fixtures regarding the lack of spectrum is based on experience.

Again, most if not all of the fixtures that are being promoted in the recent posts only have three channels or three different color LED's. This includes Chingchai's outstanding post of photo comparison. The MH results in the photos is obviously a much better scenario.

I had 6 of what are arguably the best LED fixtures out there, the AI Sol's and just like the others that continue to be mentioned, they only have three channels (White, Blue and Royal Blue LED's). These lights do not provide enough spectrum for proper coloration of some corals.

All of the above is why I have suggested the Sunbrite F-Series fixtures. These new lights contain top quality LED's (same Cree's that the others use), but add more colors:

Cool White
Blue
Royal Blue
Red
Green
390 nm UV

I am not saying that the three extra colors/channels solve all of the issues, but it does go a long way in providing the color spectrum that is supplied by the more conventional, and less energy efficient MH, VHO or T5 solutions. Take a look at the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ-LjK3Jqmc
Well. I agree with the three extra colors.

Unread 04/14/2012, 07:14 PM   #6868
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moser View Post
Hi Chingchai,

Thanks
Mo
Mo. There is no autofocus option. It is just aim and shoot.

Unread 04/14/2012, 07:17 PM   #6869
newbie2hobby
Registered Member

i cant stop viewing this thread. my gfs always like "you're always looking at this"
hahah. fly to boston and help me with mine!

newbie2hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 07:18 PM   #6870
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Chingchai, forgive me for jumping in here but this is a subject close to my recent video experience. Mo, there is a special lens adapter that makes underwater photography with the GoPro crystal clear and in perfect focus. I couldn't believe the difference. I lent the camera to Mr. Wilson so I have forgotten the brand name of the accessory but I'm pretty sure if you google it it will pop up. I suspect Chingchai already knows about it as well because he knows everything about everything.....

and no there isn't a setting that you have missed......it will not clear up without the accessory.
Peter. I don't know about this special lens adapter.
Thank you for your comment.

Unread 04/15/2012, 08:50 PM   #6871
chingchai
Premium Member

Cool app on iPhone. You guys should try it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixlr...450263811?mt=8

Unread 04/15/2012, 09:17 PM   #6872
TheFishTeen
Registered Member.

Nice pic! I love those retro camera apps.

Speaking of camera, its been a while since we've seen some behind the scenes pics/video. Could you show us some updated photos of the filtration, frag tank and softies tank setup?

TheFishTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2012, 10:02 PM   #6873
nineball
Registered Member

Chingchai, this is the lens and the result is incredible.......

http://www.aquaprohd.com/blurfix

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
nineball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2012, 06:46 AM   #6874
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishTeen View Post
Nice pic! I love those retro camera apps.

Speaking of camera, its been a while since we've seen some behind the scenes pics/video. Could you show us some updated photos of the filtration, frag tank and softies tank setup?
Kovy. Thanks.
I will do as your request once my fish guy is back.

Unread 04/16/2012, 06:47 AM   #6875
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Chingchai, this is the lens and the result is incredible.......

http://www.aquaprohd.com/blurfix

Peter
Peter. Thanks for the link.
Yes, this lens looks incredible.