Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2011, 03:03 PM   #51
cham
Registered Member

Thanks Curly, it's hard to get a good photo with a cheap camera and a 20k tank but here is another of her belly. The fish is solid like this nose to tail.

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
cham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2011, 03:05 PM   #52
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cham View Post
These were also taken today, I'm not happy seeing the spine and some ribs but I hope that I can get her fattened up with these NLS

Best belly shot I could get
Here is an interersting thing. These photos were taken only 19 days ago. NINETEEN DAYS!!?!?! NLS pellets only in just over two weeks a fish with a spine & ribs showing goes to fatty fatty two by four.

Current Tank Info: -SPS-120g Rimless Starfire, Garage sump/equip room with rimless frag tank, reefkeeper & Apex Jr, Reeflo Super Dart Gold return, ATI Powermodule, four Vortech MP40's, SRO XP3000 cone w/self cleaning head, two reefbrite LED, AF three part balling
Unread 06/24/2011, 03:08 PM   #53
curlykid
Registered Member

ahh that is one happy fish! makes me want a bigger tank

Unread 06/24/2011, 03:21 PM   #54
cham
Registered Member

I'm a lil worried about her in my DT

I put her in 7 hours ago and she stays in the same place on the front glass. Won't go hide in any caves or do anything other than hover in one spot. The yellow is flicking at her a little bit but not much. I put food in and she wanted nothing to do with it.

Hope I didn't shock her too much. My DT water quality is very good and the QT not so much with the heavy feedings over the past 5-6 weeks. I did do a one hour drip acclimation to account for this.

Unread 06/24/2011, 03:31 PM   #55
curlykid
Registered Member

hmm, most of the fish i've ever added are shocked for the first day, almost seem hypnotized. and then the next day they are ravenous eaters and highly attentive to their surroundings.

Unread 06/24/2011, 03:39 PM   #56
cham
Registered Member

Let's hope

Unread 06/24/2011, 06:02 PM   #57
aquaph8
Love The Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cham View Post
I'm a lil worried about her in my DT

I put her in 7 hours ago and she stays in the same place on the front glass. Won't go hide in any caves or do anything other than hover in one spot. The yellow is flicking at her a little bit but not much. I put food in and she wanted nothing to do with it.

Hope I didn't shock her too much. My DT water quality is very good and the QT not so much with the heavy feedings over the past 5-6 weeks. I did do a one hour drip acclimation to account for this.
I'd go lights out for the rest of the day, may help her to relax and calm down a bit.

Current Tank Info: Leemar 60x36x24, 8x80 T5/LED Sfiligoi GENESIS Alpha 300 skimmer
aquaph8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2011, 11:45 AM   #58
cham
Registered Member

Quick update:

The yellow tang bullied and speared the PB for 2 or 3 days and the PB was pretty stressed and not eating during those days, which made me very glad I was able to QT and fatten her up prior to putting her in the DT. At day 3 I got worried and tried to remove the yellow but wasn't sucuessful. After that they have stopped fighting and the PB has returned to being a giant pig. So far things are going well

Unread 07/03/2011, 12:15 PM   #59
CW from the OC
Registered Member

Great job Cham, thanks for posting this progression!

NLS pellets, can you post the full name of the food so I can buy some? Thanks!

CW from the OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2011, 12:35 PM   #60
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW from the OC View Post
Great job Cham, thanks for posting this progression!

NLS pellets, can you post the full name of the food so I can buy some? Thanks!
Thanks

NLS is New Life Spectrum, do some google searches on it. There are a lot of amazing write ups on the stuff. I was using just the regular marine formula but I just started using TheraA formula.

Unread 07/03/2011, 12:37 PM   #61
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Looking great!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2011, 03:14 PM   #62
cham
Registered Member

Thanks SD

I figured out how to get better pics. Who would have thought the "low light" feature would give the best high light results??

Unread 08/17/2011, 05:14 PM   #63
CanhMan
Registered Member

Blue and Powder Blue tangs okay?

cham - thanks for this thread.

I currently have a blue tang and a yellow tang and thinking about adding a powder blue...similar to what you've just done.

How did the blue and PB interact? I thought since they have similar body shapes it might be an issue. I'm assuming since the PB got introduced later it's okay?

CanhMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/17/2011, 05:18 PM   #64
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanhMan View Post
cham - thanks for this thread.

I currently have a blue tang and a yellow tang and thinking about adding a powder blue...similar to what you've just done.

How did the blue and PB interact? I thought since they have similar body shapes it might be an issue. I'm assuming since the PB got introduced later it's okay?
My hippo is the rare exception, a giant baby. He runs from my chromis and is by far on the lowest level of rank in my tank. The yellow was a bit grumpy with the PBT but they have worked out most of their differences. The yellow still flashes at the PBT at feeding time and even though the PBT is twice it's size the yellow is dominant. That would also be another exception, most PB's are grumpy lil terds.

IME fish personality changes much like humans and dogs, it's hard to say for your tank.

Unread 08/29/2011, 05:43 PM   #65
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Cham great work, looks like you have a great fish!!

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 05:56 PM   #66
cham
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftanks6 View Post
Cham great work, looks like you have a great fish!!
Thanks!

She continues to get fatter in my DT. I have a Ehiem autofeeder with NLS that feeds at lights on and I feed when I get home. She also is a big grazer and I have lots live rock for her to graze on. I'll try and get an updated photo.

Unread 08/29/2011, 06:01 PM   #67
curlykid
Registered Member

yay!!!

Unread 08/29/2011, 06:13 PM   #68
cham
Registered Member

My digi cam has dead batteries so I took a couple with my blackberry phone. Poor quality but you get the idea.

She was flashing at her reflection, so far she only fights with herself.

Unread 08/29/2011, 09:22 PM   #69
Reeftanks6
Registered Member

Looking great!! Pmed you about something

Current Tank Info: 110 Gallon Reef
Reeftanks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 11:48 PM   #70
BillyC
Registered Member

My local club is placing a group order and I just ordered a small powered blue and look forward to following what you did pretty closely. The only thing I will probably do different is hyposalinity to kill of any possible ich.

Good thread! Gives me hope!

BillyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 06:50 PM   #71
cham
Registered Member

It's been just over 7 months and I figured I would give an update.

Unread 12/28/2011, 07:06 PM   #72
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Nice job, it's a very rewarding fish.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 07:54 PM   #73
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

Grats! I just had a run in with a PBT. Killed my Kole and a lavender tang (i should have known better) and then when back to the store ;-) This is one of my favorite fish but I think it will be a long time before I try again!!!!

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 11:45 AM   #74
seahorsedreams
Registered Member

Great job! The fish looks fantastic.

a.k.a Lionfish Lair
seahorsedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/05/2012, 02:46 AM   #75
shackman
Registered Member

Hey Cham are you running a UV, I have a 125g and am thinking about getting a PBT but was wondering if its necessary to run one.

shackman is offline   Reply With Quote