Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/19/2017, 09:35 PM   #4976
Reeftub
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
Went back to carbon dosing. No matter how good the fuge was growing I couldn’t keep nutrients in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a algae scrubber? I ditched bio pellets and just installed one. I’ll let y’all know when it’s broke in and running maturely.

Reeftub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 10:27 PM   #4977
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeftub View Post
How about a algae scrubber? I ditched bio pellets and just installed one. I’ll let y’all know when it’s broke in and running maturely.

Algae scrubbers are nice I know a few reefers that have made some nice ones and completely eliminated their skimmer and carbon dosing. But for me carbon dosing just plain works.

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 12:53 AM   #4978
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfordQC View Post
I'm making my own canopy to house the T5's and my AI 52HD will sit on top. It won't be flush with the top, but should not be overly noticeable from where the lights will hang.

Attachment 383914

Attachment 383915

I seen this idea while searching google I think it’s awesome! But.....do you think it’s a fire hazard ?! That the only thing stopping me from building one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cammunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 05:48 AM   #4979
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammunoz View Post
I seen this idea while searching google I think it’s awesome! But.....do you think it’s a fire hazard ?! That the only thing stopping me from building one

Why do you feel it is a fire hazard? The fixture is currently around 11” off of the water, plus there is a cover over the tank.

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2017, 02:11 PM   #4980
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Well I maybe over analyzing. I just remember when I accidentally left my SOL BLUES on my couch they burned a hole in it. Would this cause an issue with them resting on the wood?

Unread 12/24/2017, 03:06 PM   #4981
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Well I maybe over analyzing. I just remember when I accidentally left my SOL BLUES on my couch they burned a hole in it. Would this cause an issue with them resting on the wood?

As long as the frosted plate covering the leds isn’t resting on wood then it shouldn’t be an issue.

Unread 12/24/2017, 07:08 PM   #4982
EuroDriver
Registered Member

Quote:

I run 3 Hydra 52's over my 180 with two T5s alongside them in a semi-open top canopy and they feel lukewarm to the touch

Sent from around the way using Tapatalk

EuroDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 11:21 AM   #4983
GfordQC
Registered Member

Quote:

Oh got ya! Yeah they only rest 1/4” on each side and I have the brackets keeping them from moving side to side too much. I don’t see an overheat problem at this moment. The canopy is pretty open.

Build Thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2600702
GfordQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/27/2017, 03:39 PM   #4984
bucfan
Registered Member

Help! Hydra26HD stuck at high intensity

My 2 Hydra 26HD for some reason are stuck at high intensity from when they turn on until when they turn off. I can control them manually fine but when I switch to auto they go back to the same high intensity. The lights turn on and off fine but just run at the high intensity under auto. What should I do?

Unread 12/27/2017, 04:50 PM   #4985
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan View Post
My 2 Hydra 26HD for some reason are stuck at high intensity from when they turn on until when they turn off. I can control them manually fine but when I switch to auto they go back to the same high intensity. The lights turn on and off fine but just run at the high intensity under auto. What should I do?

Had this happen with a corrupted firmware update. Best thing to do is perform a hard reset and set up the lights as new unfortunately

Unread 12/27/2017, 05:07 PM   #4986
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Had this happen with a corrupted firmware update. Best thing to do is perform a hard reset and set up the lights as new unfortunately

Damn! Ok how do I save my current profile so I can load it back?

Unread 12/27/2017, 05:35 PM   #4987
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:

In the app click the button I highlighted in red

Unread 12/27/2017, 06:03 PM   #4988
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:

Ok I did something wrong when I reset my lights since they now say AI demo. What did I do wrong?

Unread 12/27/2017, 06:20 PM   #4989
bucfan
Registered Member

Quote:
In the app click the button I highlighted in red

Ok got it reset. How I do now reload the schedule back into the lights?

Unread 12/27/2017, 06:32 PM   #4990
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Ok got it reset. How I do now reload the schedule back into the lights?

Find where you saved it. Try to open the file and choose copy to my AI. I am assuming you are using an iOS device but I am sure the process is very similar on android as well. I hope this helps.

Unread 12/28/2017, 09:25 PM   #4991
crankbait09
Registered Member

tonight i went to turn the blues off on my hydra 26's for picture time, and in the process of turning them back to the auto format, all three lights were dumped off their wifi setting. i had to reset these lights 5 times before i could get them to be recognized, so i could get them back on like normal. I gave up on trying to pair all three up together, it wasn't happening. So I set each one up individually as their own source. No parenting/children. I was fighting with this for hours tonight. Lights work flawlessly when you dont have to mess with any of the levels or decide to tweak the levels within the app. My lights still work as they did two years ago. The controller has killed it for me.

I am scrapping this light set up as soon as I get the funds to. I want something that doesn't rely on wifi/app just to control them. I've had it.

The Kessil A360's are looking very promising. Love the turn knobs for controls. Doesn't get no easier than that.

crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2017, 09:28 PM   #4992
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbait09 View Post
tonight i went to turn the blues off on my hydra 26's for picture time, and in the process of turning them back to the auto format, all three lights were dumped off their wifi setting. i had to reset these lights 5 times before i could get them to be recognized, so i could get them back on like normal. I gave up on trying to pair all three up together, it wasn't happening. So I set each one up individually as their own source. No parenting/children. I was fighting with this for hours tonight. Lights work flawlessly when you dont have to mess with any of the levels or decide to tweak the levels within the app. My lights still work as they did two years ago. The controller has killed it for me.

I am scrapping this light set up as soon as I get the funds to. I want something that doesn't rely on wifi/app just to control them. I've had it.

The Kessil A360's are looking very promising. Love the turn knobs for controls. Doesn't get no easier than that.

The parent child setup has always been very buggy. Ever since I set up each light individually over a year ago I haven’t had a single issue.

Unread 12/28/2017, 10:38 PM   #4993
Cammunoz
Registered Member

Quote:
The parent child setup has always been very buggy. Ever since I set up each light individually over a year ago I haven’t had a single issue.

Agreed! The Parent/Child setup is not reliable. I set them up individually and now they are

Unread 01/02/2018, 09:52 AM   #4994
Merfin70
Registered Member

Apologies for jumping into a Hydra thread with an AI Prime question but wondering if the upload and profile settings are transferrable between the two lights. I am new to LEDs and will be running an AI Prime over my IM 14 Peninsula Tank and would like to use the AB+ profile from Orcus Varuna, unless of course they are not transferable between the Hydra and the Prime.

Current Tank: Jan 2010, Custom Cadlights 65g Starfire Shallow Rimless (36"x24"x17") with 24g Sump, ATI Sunpower 6x39w, Aquamaxx ConeS CO 1, Vortech MP40 + MP10, Return Eheim 1260
Merfin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2018, 07:10 PM   #4995
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfin70 View Post
Apologies for jumping into a Hydra thread with an AI Prime question but wondering if the upload and profile settings are transferrable between the two lights. I am new to LEDs and will be running an AI Prime over my IM 14 Peninsula Tank and would like to use the AB+ profile from Orcus Varuna, unless of course they are not transferable between the Hydra and the Prime.

If it’s a prime hd yes a regular prime no. Don’t apologize for jumping in it’s more of an AI thread at this point anyway. Cheers mate and happy reefing

Unread 01/10/2018, 04:08 PM   #4996
ace6090
Registered Member

Hey guys need some help! I had two original Hydra's 12" over a 40 Breeder using the AB+ scheduled I posted months a while ago. I then upgraded tanks to an 80 gallon about 6 months ago. When upgrading I added 4 T5's (Coral+, Blue+, Purple+ and AquaBlue+) and turned down the intensity on the Hyrda's. Recently pucks on the Hydra's died so AI upgraded me to Hydra52HD's. I used the AB+ w/T5's posted by Orcus and put them on a one month acclimation at 80%. Currently I am about 1/2 way through the acclimation and have lost about 5 acros. I have an Apex PMK and the PAR read 220PAR (@80% acclimation, same as before the upgrade) and now 240PAR. I chose the 80% acclimation due to the PAR readings in the tank before the upgrade. Since the upgrade PAR has only changed by 20-40 and I am losing SPS left and right. I am not however losing any LPS.

I am not sure why so many corals are dying with only a 20-40 PAR change. The 4xT5's are 12" from the water with the two Hydra52HD's in the middle of T5's.

Water Parameters are stable:
KH: 9
Ca: 450
Mg: 1350
NO3: minimal
PO4: minimal
I have a healthy sump, healthy fish and run the skimmer 24/7 except 2 hours after feeding each day.

Any help would be appreciated!

ace6090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2018, 04:45 PM   #4997
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace6090 View Post
Hey guys need some help! I had two original Hydra's 12" over a 40 Breeder using the AB+ scheduled I posted months a while ago. I then upgraded tanks to an 80 gallon about 6 months ago. When upgrading I added 4 T5's (Coral+, Blue+, Purple+ and AquaBlue+) and turned down the intensity on the Hyrda's. Recently pucks on the Hydra's died so AI upgraded me to Hydra52HD's. I used the AB+ w/T5's posted by Orcus and put them on a one month acclimation at 80%. Currently I am about 1/2 way through the acclimation and have lost about 5 acros. I have an Apex PMK and the PAR read 220PAR (@80% acclimation, same as before the upgrade) and now 240PAR. I chose the 80% acclimation due to the PAR readings in the tank before the upgrade. Since the upgrade PAR has only changed by 20-40 and I am losing SPS left and right. I am not however losing any LPS.

I am not sure why so many corals are dying with only a 20-40 PAR change. The 4xT5's are 12" from the water with the two Hydra52HD's in the middle of T5's.

Water Parameters are stable:
KH: 9
Ca: 450
Mg: 1350
NO3: minimal
PO4: minimal
I have a healthy sump, healthy fish and run the skimmer 24/7 except 2 hours after feeding each day.

Any help would be appreciated!

By looking at your readings I would lean toward high dKH mixed with low nutrients being your issue. Bring your dKH down to 6.5-7.5 and I am willing to bet your sps will perk right back up. As for the schedule this is my most recent update that I have been using with my t5 hydra 52hd setup https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akco_cmvvLNrgbR_ANB21Ae2kfN0Ag . My tank receives 200-300 par throughout with it

Unread 01/10/2018, 04:52 PM   #4998
ace6090
Registered Member

Thank you Orcus. I always was under the impression dKH of 9 was ideal but guess with the low nutrients it makes sense that it would be too high. If you don't mind what dKH, Mg, NO3 and PO4 do you target?

Unread 01/10/2018, 05:18 PM   #4999
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace6090 View Post
Thank you Orcus. I always was under the impression dKH of 9 was ideal but guess with the low nutrients it makes sense that it would be too high. If you don't mind what dKH, Mg, NO3 and PO4 do you target?

Just my personal experience here but I have never seen a benefit to higher dKH or any other number that deviates much from natural seawater. But man I have smoked some corals by chasing the latest and greatest parameter fads (high no3/po4 with high dKH, high mg, etc) lol. As such I shoot for dKH: 6.5-7.5, Mg 1200-1500, NO3 less than 5, PO4 less then 20ppb (on my Hannah ulr). Numbers in that range have never done me wrong. Happy reefing man

Unread 01/10/2018, 05:52 PM   #5000
ace6090
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I am certainly glad to hear I am not the only one who has issues. I am always amazed by the help and support of the reefing community. I plan to drop my dKH to 7 and see what the results are. Since I dose Alk I am going to have to wait a few days for it to drop naturally. However, I will test daily until it reaches the desired level.