Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/08/2014, 09:01 PM   #201
mixedreefjunky
Registered Member

Be careful on cooking that liverock! People have almost killed everyone in their house from cooking liverock. Some organisms in our tanks will release deadly toxins upon being boiled.

Current Tank Info: DT 65GAL mixed reef, HOB 5gal refugium with live rock/chaeto, Jebao WP-25 and Koralia 3, ReefBreeders Photon32

Last edited by mixedreefjunky; 03/08/2014 at 09:08 PM.
mixedreefjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2014, 09:06 PM   #202
mixedreefjunky
Registered Member

Be careful on boiling that liverock. Some organisms will release deadly toxins while being cooked. There are threads on RC regarding the dangers of this and accounts from people who have had severe reactions from doing so.

Current Tank Info: DT 65GAL mixed reef, HOB 5gal refugium with live rock/chaeto, Jebao WP-25 and Koralia 3, ReefBreeders Photon32
mixedreefjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2014, 12:20 PM   #203
crn005
Registered Member

I have read through this thread a couple of times. The first time, it was about half the length it is now. I finished it again yesterday. It is one of the most informative threads on here. I think it helped me trouble shoot my recent slight bleaching of one of my acros. I think I reduced feeding too much and it has been suffering. All of my parameters are right where they should be for an ULNS and feeding is the only variable that I can think of that would cause the bleaching. I'll report back in a bit with the results.

crn005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2014, 10:25 PM   #204
Jone
Registered Member

taggin..

Jone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 09:25 PM   #205
Marcel Legros
Registered Member

subscribed.

mixedreefjunkie - cooking LR doesn't mean actually boiling it. do a quick search and you'll figure it out.

Marcel Legros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 09:59 PM   #206
albano
SALTWATER since '73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Legros View Post
mixedreefjunkie - cooking LR doesn't mean actually boiling it. do a quick search and you'll figure it out.
+1... Cooking it, could cause a serious problem!

Jan. '11 TOTM Manhattan Reefs

Current Tank Info: 500g & 200g acrylic DTs/2 separate reef systems
albano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2014, 01:12 PM   #207
crn005
Registered Member

I, personally, deep fry my rocks like any good Texan would do :-)

crn005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2014, 11:26 AM   #208
tallreefguy
Registered Member

First of all - Great read!
I switched out my lights from 400w 12k Reeflux to 250w 12k Reeflux on a 180g tank.
What is everyone's thoughts / experiences with using GAC as a means of export?

tallreefguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2014, 04:25 PM   #209
tallreefguy
Registered Member

Also - What do you feed your fish / coral? Does one product work better than another? What about home made food?

tallreefguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2014, 08:22 PM   #210
Reefvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallreefguy View Post
Also - What do you feed your fish / coral? Does one product work better than another? What about home made food?
You are aware that this is the advanced topics section and that there is a new to the hobby section ?

Not trying to be rude, but asking in the section where your questions are appropriate will return many more informative responses.

Reefvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2014, 07:21 AM   #211
Bilk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefvet View Post
You are aware that this is the advanced topics section and that there is a new to the hobby section ?

Not trying to be rude, but asking in the section where your questions are appropriate will return many more informative responses.
Looks like a rude response to me. I don't think the question harms the discussion and maybe that poster is interested to know if there's a connection between the food used by the OP and his observations. Your post is just as distracting to the conversation as is mine

Unread 04/11/2014, 09:46 AM   #212
fixmgood
Registered Member

Food

I don't think that asking what foods people feed is a a newbie question as it is very pertinent to the topic.Who knows maybe there is something on the market that would be beneficial for us to know about.
In the past several months I have been feeding the tank heavily,I feed a variety of flakes,pellets,frozen mysis,chopped raw shrimp and Reef Nutrition oyster feast.I have also been adding some amino acids and calcium ascorbate (vitamin C) the last two are on a recommendation of a friend who has a fairly large and successful coral farm, I am still not sure if it is doing anything,although corals are looking healthy.
Since reading this thread I am in the process of lowering my Alk levels.Hopefully in a few months I will be able to post some results.
Great thread.

Current Tank Info: 450g AGE,200 gallon sump, Red Dragon Speedy 230w return pump and closed loop,4 way Ocean Motion,PM Balistic Skimmer.3 Sea Swirl returns.AI Hydra 52HD,Apex contoller. Build thread "The after disaster 650g build"
fixmgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2014, 01:31 PM   #213
Capn_Crunch
Registered Member

Excellent thread. I've been reading it for two days and am very excited as I've had some issues with SPS in the past and have recently picked up some frags to give it another go. I've learned a lot in this thread already which I will apply to my situation and have subscribed to keep up with future posts.

When "feeding generously" is suggested, how would that apply to a small group of fish like mine: 1 each - clown, two-spot tang, six line wrasse, blue chromis, convicy blenny, mandarin. Of course the mandarin doesn't factor in since he has his own particular diet. My coral stock consists of 45 various small frags in a 72g bow front. Maybe 10 of those are SPS. My parameters are:

Alk - 6.7, PO4 - 0.00 (Hanna ULR)
Ca - 410, NO3 - 0.00
PH - 8.5, Mg - 1300
salinity - 1.025

All parameters are stable from week to week. I usually do 10 - 15% wc's every 10 - 14 days. I currently only feed 1/2 cude frozen or pellets once a day. I add some nori about once every 4 days or so.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (65.4 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by Capn_Crunch; 04/11/2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: added pic
Capn_Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 04:37 PM   #214
bmullikin1
Registered Member

cool tank, have a build on it, capn

bmullikin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2014, 07:00 PM   #215
Capn_Crunch
Registered Member

Thanks man. I thought I did, but I guess not. I'll get that set up tomorrow.

Capn_Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2014, 06:34 PM   #216
S2minute
Registered Member

I dose 1.5 gal @night kalk/vin mix. Use less than one OZ of BP in a modified phosban reactor. On day 4 of using vodka. Currently 1.2 ml x2 on day 4. PO4 level .015 before vodka start. Alk levels x2 days now staying @ 7.7. Coral growth noticeable each day and PE is more pronounced. I feed heavy:
Oyster fest/Roti feast OR:

Spirulina Power/Golden Pearl reef & Larval fish diet 5-50 micron/Reef Pearls 5-200
micron/GPR&LFD 200-300 micron/ frozen cyclops OR:

Omega one small pellets/frozen mussels,plankton/krill/marine cuisine OR:

Target feed frozen mysis and Spirulina Brine soaked in Selcon OR:

Mix in a blender: Spirulina Powder,Selcon, 2 tbs natural sugar, and a brand,(i forget name), of oriental frozen seafood mix like Pappone recipe.

The food i feed the SPS corals and LPS corals i do mainly 2-3 hours before lights on,(because it's much easier at that time for me). The corals seem to love it just the same. They get fed a different grouping x3-5 days a week.

SPS/LPS/175 BB Bow Front DT with Pinnacle Indo reef platform.150 gal cryptic zone tank with a 6" DSB,20 gal reverse photo period cheto and 150 gal rubbermaid sump all linked and gravity feed. DIY LEDS

Current Tank Info: Modified multi-tank Environmental Gradient System with an ETSS 1500XR Downdraft skimmer powered by an Iwaki 100 RLT.
S2minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2014, 09:31 AM   #217
superdragon
Registered Member

What a amazing read. Definitely subscribed!

Current Tank Info: Reef Envy 120g & 60g Rimless Cube
superdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2014, 09:39 AM   #218
JoelA7
Registered Member

Check

JoelA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2014, 11:14 AM   #219
dtum
Registered Member

After looking at the May 2014 TOTM I simply can't resist to throw a wrench in the OP's theory.

The TOTM looks gorgeous, runs GFO, has low alkalinity (7 dKH) and extremely high phosphates (0.21). Colors are stunning.

Whaddya think?

Unread 08/20/2014, 08:10 PM   #220
ouling
Registered Member

I have been dealing with the same issue for almost a year.

0 PO4
0 NO3
9 DKH
1.0255 SG
I'm use phosphate remover and carbon heavily.

I have only 1 tiny fish that I feed 6 pellets to each day.
Bright LEDs,
Really pale/pastel looking corals with 0 growth for half a year. And I mean 0 growth from Monti to Nana or Birds nest. I had one stow away kenya tree on a live rock and it did not grow a tiny bit. None of the Zoa split, mushroom stayed the same...

I will now lower my dkh a tiny bit
feed more
hold off on the carbon and GFO

ouling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2014, 07:48 PM   #221
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Yes it's really hard to grow when you don't get any nitrogen (light/photosynthesis provides zero nitrogen).

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2014, 09:17 PM   #222
mm.reefs
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouling View Post

0 PO4
0 NO3
9 DKH
1.0255 SG

Bright LEDs,
Really pale/pastel looking corals with 0 growth for half a year. And I mean 0 growth from Monti to Nana or Birds nest. I had one stow away kenya tree on a live rock and it did not grow a tiny bit. None of the Zoa split, mushroom stayed the same...

feed more
ouling (and others),

Watch out! When you lower your dkh to ~7, you MUST dose Kalkwasser to maintain the pH in a good range, otherwise this will drastically drop and coral health, colors and growth won't progress. This is something that is not well explained in the May 2014 TOIM and other articles. Having pH in 7.8 to 8.4 is crucial.

Notice that in this TOIM it is mentioned the use of pH probes and Avast Kalk, but not how these are used. The value of pH is not even mentioned! I bet that a controller is used to monitor pH and Kalwasser is dosed whenever is needed to maintain pH in good range.

If you will do the same (controller + Kalwasser) then you are fine, otherwise keep dkh in 9+.

PS: Definitely ouling, feed your tank MORE !!!!

mm.reefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2014, 07:42 AM   #223
ouling
Registered Member

Will do! I have about 30% SPS by volume and now I'm going to target feed. My DKH drops from 9 - 7 in 2 days if I don't dose.

Thanks!!

ouling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 06:53 AM   #224
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm.reefs View Post
ouling (and others),

Watch out! When you lower your dkh to ~7, you MUST dose Kalkwasser to maintain the pH in a good range, otherwise this will drastically drop and coral health, colors and growth won't progress. This is something that is not well explained in the May 2014 TOIM and other articles. Having pH in 7.8 to 8.4 is crucial.
FWIW, that first section is just not true.

pH is controlled by the alkalinity and the CO2 level.

If you do not have excess CO2 in the water (and hence, your room air), then your pH will not be low with an alkalinity of 7, assuming you have adequate aeration.

I discuss such issues here:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

The "How To" Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 3: pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 07:38 AM   #225
saltyair
Registered Member

Adding my 2 cents

What is your cal,mag readings?
Do you feed your corals? i find adding amino and reefroids helped stimulate growth.
What kind of lighting? LED full spectrum or ....
why only 1 fish? are you skimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouling View Post

0 PO4
0 NO3
9 DKH
1.0255 SG

Bright LEDs,

feed more

Bye for now - Eric the actor R.I.P

Current Tank Info: 180 gal
saltyair is offline   Reply With Quote