Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2007, 08:16 PM   #1
kdvorak
Registered Member

ro/di install help

I hooked up my Premium Aquatics 4 stage ro/di unit this evening. I hooked it up to my cold water line going to my washer using a splitter with on/off valves. Everything hooked up ok with no leaks. I turned valve on to test unit. First chamber filled and then second chamber, but when it go to 3rd chamber it began to overflow out of the top of the 3rd chamber. I thought it might be the water pressure, so I emptied chamber, turned down water pressure and tried again. This time it overflowed when it got to the 2nd chamber. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

kdvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2007, 08:58 PM   #2
jtemple42000
Premium Member

Is there a o-ring on the third chamber?

If anything absolutely can NOT go wrong, it will anyway.

Current Tank Info: 210 in wall mixed reef
jtemple42000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2007, 10:28 PM   #3
AZDesertRat
Moved On

Check the O rings as kdvorak suggested. I have inadvertently dropped O rings when changing filters more than once, but I will never admit it and you didn't hear me say that ! Housings only need to be hand tight also, sometimes overtightening smashes the O rings and causes leaks.

AZDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2007, 12:48 AM   #4
champscorner
Premium Member

hope you don't mind if i jump in on this. i just hooked up my ocean reef 4(filter guys) and have what is probably a stupid question but do i leave the waste line open all the time? water is pouring out of the waste and just trickling out of the di(di housing is only about 1/8 full). also is it ok to shut it off by just shutting the ro and ro/di valves and not messing with the incoming water line?

Current Tank Info: 90gal w/30gal sump, in sump fuge, aqua C EV 180 skimmer ran on a mag 9, 2x 250w pheonix mh and 4x 54w t5, ehiem 1262 for return, 2xphosban reactors(carbon,phosban), 2 x K4 for more circ
champscorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2007, 07:38 AM   #5
jtemple42000
Premium Member

The waste line should flow several times more water than the ro hose. If you just shut off the waste line it will increase the ro production, not down. The down side of this is that although you are making water faster, its not as clean. I think you need to shut it off at the supply line. Thats how I use to shut mine off until I got a auto shut off valve, well worth the money. It shuts off the waste and the ro lines and let's pressure build it the system.

If anything absolutely can NOT go wrong, it will anyway.

Current Tank Info: 210 in wall mixed reef
jtemple42000 is offline   Reply With Quote