Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/18/2011, 08:36 PM   #1
TprMoore
Moved On

My 29G Biocube Build Thread

I've finally decided to dive into the saltwater addiction! I recently found a great deal on Craigslist for a 29 gallon Oceanic Biocube and matching stand for $150. The tank is missing a few parts, so I was hoping I could list the items and all the knowledgeable people on this site could point me in the right direction.
  1. Missing the "flow direction nozzle?" on the main output into the tank.
  2. Compartment one and two do not have the original skimmer or media tray, rather it's empty.

With that in mind my thoughts are as follows:
  1. For the flow nozzle, consult my LFS for a misc. nozzle laying around, since I must lack the right term to find it anywhere online.
  2. For the compartments I was considering putting a heater in 1, purchasing a media tray with a combination of things (suggestions welcomed) including Purigen for 2, and 3 would obviously just be the stock pump.

I plan on stocking: 1 to 2 clowns, YWG, Flame Angel, and possible a Toby puffer.

All I really have left to purchase is live rock (cured), a bit of live sand, and then obviously my fish and corals over time. I haven't started to begin my tank yet because I'll be on Christmas break in a few weeks for school and I didn't want that big hiatus between things, so I'm taking my time and trying prepare/gain as much knowledge as possible.

I'll be posting pictures in the next days of everything and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

TprMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2011, 09:03 PM   #2
SaintMark
Registered Member

1st off I hope you have done a leak test. If that goes well I would say get live sand (I Like the fine grade http://www.marinedepot.com/Caribsea_...FISSLS-vi.html )

Then add your Live Rock. When shopping for live rock let your nose be your guide. If it smells like 5 day old gym socks don't buy it. It should have little to no smell.

If you do this before the holidays your should be ready for livestock after St. Nick leaves and it is also a great way to get gift certificates!

Keep us posted

+1 Subscribed

Visit and let me know what you think of my Setup
SaintMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2011, 11:52 PM   #3
ange062
Registered Member

Flow nozzle should be easy to find anywhere like you said. Check out InTank for media baskets of high quality (I run them in both my JBJ's and they are A+++++). Your media choices are right on par, I used Purigen and Chemipure Elite with great success. Skimmer choices are abundant, just search and you will find tons of info. Welcome to the nano club!

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2011, 07:07 PM   #4
TprMoore
Moved On

Well heres a quick update! I've got everything equipment wise set up and ready to go with the exception of media rack in the back which I've ordered. I have the lights set up on timers and since I have no electrical background I'm pretty proud of how it turned out

I'm also considering replacing the stock cooling fans, they're awfully loud. Anyone have suggestions to that?

Unread 11/27/2011, 02:35 PM   #5
TprMoore
Moved On

Ordered my inTank media rack and have my Visi-Therm 100W heater on the way! Also picked up some JB Water Weld and Loc-Tite superglue gel for my aquascaping and attaching frags (eventually). For the media rack I intend on using some filter floss on the top shelf, Seachem Purigen on the second, and possibly Seachem's Seagel on the bottom rack. Once I get the tank up and running, and when I have some more funds, I'll upgrade the return pump! Super excited to get the liverock/sand and water in the tank by the end of the week. I plan on going with the Cured Rock ~15-20lbs then ~10lbs of cured LR. I'm constrained by a college budget and I'm in no hurry so I my hope is for the LR to eventually seed the other rocks. Once my water parameters are in check and everything's going smoothly (my LFS provides water tests for free) I'll add my CUC.

Suggestions are welcomed!
I'll be posting HQ updated pictures by the end of the week!
Thanks for stopping by!

Unread 11/27/2011, 03:03 PM   #6
jcmelski
Registered Member

I could never get my tunze 9002 to run correctly. Personally I wouldn't do a skimmer. I would just do pwc's.

jcmelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2011, 03:13 PM   #7
TprMoore
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmelski View Post
I could never get my tunze 9002 to run correctly. Personally I wouldn't do a skimmer. I would just do pwc's.
I will not be purchasing a skimmer unless/until I get a higher bioload...

Unread 11/28/2011, 12:37 PM   #8
TprMoore
Moved On

Well with our recent entry into the B1G Championship game I've decided to hold off on anymore reef purchases till after Christmas break and our bowl game, I'll be away too much to properly set up the tank. My next update will include all my Christmas list/purchases and up to date tank info:
  • Apex Controller systems with probes for Temp., pH, and salinity. As well as lighting, ATO, pumps, and auto-feeder programming.
  • I'll have my inTank media rack installed with filter floss, purigen, and seagel.
  • 30lbs of LR, and a cup of LS to seed my new sand bed.
  • AquaHub float switches wired to the Apex breakout box using the Aqua lifter pump.
  • And some auto feeder which I'm still undecided on....
Sorry if I'm being repetitive I just wanted this to be planned and go smoothly!

Happy reefing!

Unread 11/28/2011, 02:12 PM   #9
Hextall
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore1811 View Post
  • Apex Controller systems with probes for Temp., pH, and salinity. As well as lighting, ATO, pumps, and auto-feeder programming.
The Neptune forum here has some very helpful and knowledgeable users to help set it up. Also, get the Unofficial user guide... it's leaps and bounds better than the official manual that comes with the apex.

Hextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2011, 03:10 PM   #10
slowwrx137
Registered Member

I just ordered the Apex controller and breakout box for my biocube last week. Hopefully I'll get it soon and it'll be easier to setup than it seems.

slowwrx137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2011, 06:29 PM   #11
TprMoore
Moved On

Got the inTank media basket ready to go...
  1. Filter Floss (100% polyster aka fake snow )
  2. 100 ml bag of Purigen
  3. Standard bag of SeaGel

The build quality on the inTank media basket is superior, also comes with a clip type part to hold it snug and water flow directors that you can glue in place if your flow is going everywhere....

LR is next! Hopefully I can get it within the next week or so from my seller!

Unread 12/06/2011, 06:48 AM   #12
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Looks like you're off to a good start! Tagging along.

Unread 12/06/2011, 04:35 PM   #13
TprMoore
Moved On

Finalized fish list (one of each), begin adding Jan 2012...
I'd also like to add my LFS QT's it's fish for 2 weeks, and then moves them to a tank with copper for another two weeks, saving me the wait of QTing.

Unread 12/11/2011, 08:18 PM   #14
TprMoore
Moved On

Got Live Rock In!!!!!! Let me know what you think! Can't say enough about reefwonders hospitality and knowledge. Awesome guy and has a great selection of LR left!

In pieces (missing two smaller pieces that I didn't see in the bottom of the bucket)

FTS

FTS filled up!

Now if only I could get the temp of the tank to start climbing the 68 degrees isn't gunna cut it!

Debating on whether or not I want to epoxy the rocks together, I might just do it to the few small ones ontop, this is a Manado type rock so it links together very well....

There's also some brown polyps (?) on the bottom right, no idea how they'll look, hopefully it warms up sooner than later!

Unread 12/12/2011, 10:09 PM   #15
SaintMark
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore1811 View Post
Now if only I could get the temp of the tank to start climbing the 68 degrees isn't gunna cut it!

Debating on whether or not I want to epoxy the rocks together, I might just do it to the few small ones ontop, this is a Manado type rock so it links together very well....

There's also some brown polyps (?) on the bottom right, no idea how they'll look, hopefully it warms up sooner than later!
The polyps might not make it as the temp is way low. I hope they do! Your tank is looking good so far I cant wait until you get the rest of your gear.

Visit and let me know what you think of my Setup
SaintMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2011, 11:20 PM   #16
aaron7405
Registered Member

About your fsih slection I think you should pick your fish very carrefull in a nano. IMO I would not add is such a small tank the hawkfish witrh small fishes as the gobys, Fire hakfish will try to eat them, also the sixline tend to be territoal in a small tnak, its just an advise.

Current Tank Info: In process SPS dominant Solana XL67
aaron7405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2011, 05:49 PM   #17
TprMoore
Moved On

Should be adding some corals tomorrow! Pictures soon!

Unread 12/14/2011, 10:04 PM   #18
auto151
Registered Member

super start on the tank

auto151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 09:29 AM   #19
Bens_Reef
Registered Member

did you get a heater yet? hope your temp is up enough for them. very nice rock and aqua-scape. was this tank running when you got it? with the pieces you were missing, i am just wondering how you got all that purple coralline on the back wall already.

NEED more PICS!

Current Tank Info: 40g Reef/20g Sump/Fuge, 80# LR and 120 Watt LED 460nm 14k PH-8.3, NO3-10-15, PO4-0, dKH-7, Ca-500, Mg-1440, SG-1.026, 77.2-78.2 F
Bens_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 11:16 AM   #20
TprMoore
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bens_Reef View Post
did you get a heater yet? hope your temp is up enough for them. very nice rock and aqua-scape. was this tank running when you got it? with the pieces you were missing, i am just wondering how you got all that purple coralline on the back wall already.

NEED more PICS!
Thanks for the compliments everyone! About the coralline, I bought the tank used with the stand for $150 (it was sitting in his basement for a few months then he had the thought to sell it, to me of course). He had a reef set up in there before, and just never cleaned it off the back. I had a heater the whole time, the water eventually warmed up nicely by the next morning, now it's too warm! Around 80 to be specific but I'd rather it be closer to 78. However, due to the heat of the PC lighting and the wattage of the stock pump it's generating a lot more heat than I thought so I'm upgrading to a Hydor Pico Evo pump (300gph runs at 8W) and after the new year I'm installing the RapidLED dimmable upgrade.

Only one of the polyps in the colony didn't make it and it was a very small one, I think one of the hermit crabs had for dinner. They're opening up about half way.

As far as the critters in the tank so far I've got an emerald crab, peppermint shrimp (that won't eat aiptasia), blue hermit, red hermit, 3 astraea snails, 3 nassarius, and 3 cerith (I think).

I'm heading to the LFS (Pruess's) shortly and I'm going to test my water parameters as soon as I'm done with this post. Barring anything unusual I'd like to maybe get some kind of leather toadstool or a hammer coral (or all of them ). I'll have to get some Aiptasia X too , I've got 4 tiny ones. But as everyone knows the trips to the LFS usually include you walking out with 5x times the items you said you were getting lol.

I'll be sure to have a picture heavy post tonight!

Unread 12/15/2011, 04:19 PM   #21
TprMoore
Moved On

New Corals- eveything is stressed out from the journey home, I'll post more pictures soon of when everyone is happy
Green Star Polyp, not out

Double Hammer

Brown Polyps

Also treated some Aiptasia with Aiptasia X and left it on them for 15minutes and vacuumed up the leftovers, this is what's left, not sure if it worked...

Now my poor toadstool... it was slightly attached to another coral in the frag tank, and the LFS guy gently gently pulled it apart and it really looks a lot worse in the picture than in my tank but what should I do to get the lil bugger to stand up straight, it kepts slumping and slumping....he said to expect this but I wanted everyone else's opinion as well....

Picked this up too, creates random wave flow at 40 degree angles 360 degrees in the tank...

Nice to see someone could finally make an appearance! Francois the peppermint...

Send a prayer out for my dwarf toadstool...OH and I pulled a big SOB off one of the frag rocks, it was a worm of some sort, forgot to get a pic, I wanna say it was a bristle worm...but I didn't recognize it clearly so he didn't make the cut..

Last edited by TprMoore; 12/15/2011 at 04:46 PM.
Unread 12/16/2011, 05:38 PM   #22
TprMoore
Moved On

FTS

Green Star Polyps

Double Hammer

The toad is looking better but still not standing up straight, so I'm going to move the little guy in a corner where the glass will hold him upright till he heals correctly

Snail Eggs?!

Oh and a starfish of some sort is feasting on the aiptasia =)

Unread 12/18/2011, 03:27 AM   #23
Nelz
Registered Member

Man, what a GREAT deal! I just priced out this exact system today, and you could barely buy the stand for that price.

I was also on the fence about getting this setup but the LFS I went into to window shop, had me leaning toward the nano cube. I am officially off the fence, and will be getting one soon. Looks great........keep up on the progress

Nelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2011, 09:19 PM   #24
TprMoore
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelz View Post
Man, what a GREAT deal! I just priced out this exact system today, and you could barely buy the stand for that price.

I was also on the fence about getting this setup but the LFS I went into to window shop, had me leaning toward the nano cube. I am officially off the fence, and will be getting one soon. Looks great........keep up on the progress
Thank ya! I almost wish I would of bought a brand new cube and emptied out stock hood because I'll be basically stripping everything out once I get this LED upgrade kit, and nothing in the back compartments are original.

12/16/11 FTS

Can't remember what this guy is called ha, I ended up taking the toadstool back.

pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: ~10
Phosphate: .1

Did a 10% WC and a hour or two later

pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~10
Phosphate: .1

Still fiddling with the powerhead, I can find a sweet spot to my liking. And I'm having a little cyano outbreak =( As well as I can't get my nitrates down!
Added purigen to the media rack today!

Unread 12/20/2011, 07:17 PM   #25
Bens_Reef
Registered Member

looks great, that coral you got there with the purple looks like the one i was looking at a few days ago in the $40 tank. i ended up getting a fresh frag from the $15 tank thats already propagating.

too bad about the toadstool. i have had a few corals take a few days to really act normal. one that took a couple months to open all the way. those polyp may take the longest and might want more light being near the bottom, watch to see if any of them look like they are stretching toward it. the green star will like most places in your tank and look nice waving with some good flow on them.

ive been to a couple other LFS near Detroit and they dont compare to Preuss, unfortunately it comes with a price too. if you need to talk to someone really knowledgeable there, Rick himself, and Mark are my favorite, there info usually always checks out.

Current Tank Info: 40g Reef/20g Sump/Fuge, 80# LR and 120 Watt LED 460nm 14k PH-8.3, NO3-10-15, PO4-0, dKH-7, Ca-500, Mg-1440, SG-1.026, 77.2-78.2 F
Bens_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biocube