Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/03/2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Jyetman
Registered Member

Stirring Top Off water

Is it necessary to stir 20 gallons of top off water? I've added Reef Builder (baking soda) to raise my alkalinity. Noticing the powder settled at bottom I put a power head connected to a timer in the top off bucket to run every other hour. Will this cause any issues? My dosing bucket with KALK isn't doing it anymore. After adding the reef builder in top off DKH raised from 6 to 10 and after several days PH dropped from 8.50 stabilized at 8.35 by mid day.

Jyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 02:36 PM   #2
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i would run the pump for 2-4 hrs after putting chemicals in and thats about it. after its mixed dont need to have any movement in it.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 03:59 PM   #3
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

It is smart to oxygenate it and blow off the excess CO2 (which is what happened when your pH dropped a bit). I always keep it moving.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 05:36 PM   #4
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

If you keep water moving with a pump eventually heat from pump will cause the alk to precipitate leaving residue and dropping alk and pH levels anyways.
I wouldn't use any source that puts out heat like a pump, if u really want to keep pH up use a airstone.

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
Unread 05/05/2017, 10:14 AM   #5
jason2459
Registered Member

I would not worry about the pH of top off water. Unless you're toping off with muriatic acid.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/05/2017, 10:51 AM   #6
AlSimmons
Registered Member

FWIW I used to use Reef Builder in my top off water for years and never mixed it for more than a couple hours or so. No problem.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2017, 11:22 AM   #7
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I would mix it in thoroughly and leave it still or preferably dose it separate from top off , since top off involves moving water and variability in dosing rates tied to variable evaporation rates.. Continuous agitation will cause more gas exchange with the air which could easily introduce CO2

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2017, 09:57 PM   #8
themummra
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
If you keep water moving with a pump eventually heat from pump will cause the alk to precipitate leaving residue and dropping alk and pH levels anyways.
I wouldn't use any source that puts out heat like a pump, if u really want to keep pH up use a airstone.
Alkalinity is not a chemical, what do you mean it precipitates?

themummra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2017, 12:04 AM   #9
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themummra View Post
Alkalinity is not a chemical, what do you mean it precipitates?
I think its safe to assume he meant CaCO3. But clarification is a good thing.

I also agree with TMZ with not dosing via top off water.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2017, 11:29 AM   #10
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Calcium carbonate/CaCo3 would precipitate and heat will reduce the amount of calcium and carbonate that can remain in solution. However, the OP isn't dosing any calcium/Ca to the top off reservoir.
There are solubility limits for carbonate / bicarbonate aside from precipitation. I suspect the powder at the bottom is undissolved carbonate /bicarbonate.

Alkalinity is not a single thing it is a measure of things that neutralize acid including: CO3 ,CHO3( carbonate/ bicarbonate), PO4/HPO4, borate ,oxide ,silicone,magenesium hydroxide. In seawater and aquarium salt water roughly 96.5% of the alkainity is carbonate/bicarbonate a measure of which is typically used as a measure of alkalinity.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 05/07/2017 at 11:45 AM.
Unread 05/07/2017, 01:16 PM   #11
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I think its safe to assume he meant CaCO3. But clarification is a good thing.

I also agree with TMZ with not dosing via top off water.
Thank you Jason, and tmz for detailed elaboration.

Unread 05/07/2017, 06:03 PM   #12
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

you are welcome

Tags
alkalinity levels, dosing, reef builder