Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/08/2014, 01:13 PM   #8126
anaheimangel
Registered Member

hi my name is andrew, and

aim new to this site,, i just found out about it.. and it look really nice,,,
I love salt water and iam a reeefer for life...

anaheimangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 01:13 PM   #8127
anaheimangel
Registered Member

aim new also

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfireman View Post
Hello everyone! Im new to the site, have dabbled in saltwater before. About to start a new build for my den and thought this would be a great place to share and get some insight.
welcome to the site

anaheimangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2014, 06:45 PM   #8128
Cheyenness
Registered Member

Another new member

So I sat and typed out a nice long introduction and it vanished before I posted it

So, here we go again.... I have been lurking for quite some time but finally joined today so I could leave a review on some live rock I had bought from TBS. I have had tanks off and on for the past 30 years. Always freshwater because I grew up hearing all the horror stories about saltwater tanks. A couple years ago I finally dove right into saltwater. I started small with a 20 gallon nano. 3 weeks later it was a 55 gallon. 3 months after that it was a 150 gallon! We moved house in May of this year and I downsized to a 24" cube...... Yesterday everything got moved to my new 100 gallon cadlights system. My new tank is my first ever BB tank. Everyone said I would have to part with my LTA but I just couldn't do it. This guy/gal has been through many tank moves with me. So he/she is sitting happily in a plastic container with sand in it. It sits right in the middle of my tank and is hidden by live rock. Now I have this empty cube tank.... hmmm. Betting it doesn't sit empty for long.

I currently have my 100 mixed reef, 46 gallon bowfront planted freshwater tank and a 15 gallon column tank...... and the empty cube... Oh and the 36x18 inground pool that is currently being converted into a Koi pond. I wanted to turn it into a mini reef but my husband wouldn't go for that idea

Guess that is it for now, except... Hiya everyone!

Last edited by Cheyenness; 10/08/2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added picture
Cheyenness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2014, 08:13 AM   #8129
goncharkina
Registered Member

Smile

Hi Reef Central! My name is Anna, I am new to reefing (started a year ago). I have a 125 gallon FOWLR tank (40 gallon sump), and a 28 gallon Nano Cube where I keep my corals!

goncharkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2014, 08:39 AM   #8130
mtchpr
Registered Member

Smile

Hi, I'm from Puerto Rico (Caribbean Island) and I'm new in this hobby (1 year)... Hi everyone!!!

55g with sump

Last edited by mtchpr; 10/09/2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Added picture
mtchpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/09/2014, 07:36 PM   #8131
Tankgirl220
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I've had my saltwater setup for a little over two months now. I have a 25 gallon tank with three damsels (which were given to me and I love them very much despite the stigma attached to them) a brittle sea star and a pink tip torch coral plus a handful of cuc.

Tankgirl220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2014, 10:33 AM   #8132
BlackBorre
Registered Member

Hello folks, im new to the forum as well as new to the saltwater hobby, i posted a few (and im pretty sure many more will araise) questions on this "New to the hobby" forum, i hope you guys can check it out and give me some advise, anyways, wish me luck and have a great day.

BlackBorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2014, 12:32 PM   #8133
anizato
Registered Member

50g Reef NEW SETUP

Hello all,

I am fairly new to the hobby. This is my first large tank, I kept a 10g nano with 2O.Clownfish for nearly a year, now it is time to keep them in a larger system.

This tank was started in late May 2014 by placing the 40lb of Dry Rock in a dark bin to "bake" them. They baked for 2 months. After that, the tank was setup and the rocks where in there for a week. However right when the tank's parameters where perfect, I get a call from my landlady "We are selling the house, you have 60 days to move"
So nothing else was purchased.
2 months went by (making it a total of 4 months+change) with the rocks and sand in the aquarium, everything running.

Now the tanks (10+50) are sitting in their new home!!

So far, because of the unexpected moving expenses, only one Kessil LED has been placed on the display, which is very obvious in the pictures. The skimmer needs to be raised an inch, and the light in the refugium needs to be installed as well as the cooling fans.

In the 10g there have been 2 o.clownfish, 1 Large Mexican Turbo Snail, 2 Blue hermit crabs, which will all be transferred to the 50g.
At this point the Wish list of LiveStock is this:

2 Kaudern Cardinal
1 Starry Blenny
1 Wheeler Goby
1 Randal Pistol Shrimp
1 Mandarin Dragonet (w/ separate 10g pod farm)
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
3 BT Anemones

Maybe:
3 McCosker Flasher Wrasse
or
1 Firefish
or
2 White Banded Possum Wrasse

This is what she looks like at the first 15 days of being installed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CENTER50Gsmall.jpg (60.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg LEFT50Gsmall.jpg (65.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg FRONT50Gsmall.jpg (45.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RIGHT50Gsmall.jpg (51.0 KB, 9 views)

Current Tank Info: 50g reef, 29g sump, 150NWB octopus skimmer, 1260eheim return, Kessil LED, MP40+MP10 Vortech, 50lb LR + 40lb LS
anizato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2014, 12:16 PM   #8134
terror27
Registered Member

new to salt water

Hey guys my name is scott im new to salt water been doing fresh water for 5 years and have done everything possible and am trying to breed rays now but i am now going to try salt water starting small with a 40 breeder and if i do well will upgrade to a 150 gallon later on down the line i have always loved corals tanks like zoas lps hammers torch s frog spawn and some leathers. and would greatly appreciate any and all advice on lighting substrate power heads and just every way about setting up the tank. Thank you to all in advance and i cant wait to begin this project.

terror27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2014, 06:51 PM   #8135
chakacris
Registered Member

hello everyone!!

Hi everyone! My name is Cristian and altho i am not new to reefs I am new to this forum I work doing aquarium maintenance, desing and build as a free lancer, I also work with computers and as a Professional SCUBA diver, I am curently working on my secnd reef, most likelly a 100 to 125 gal glass diy tank.

chakacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/14/2014, 07:06 PM   #8136
srh reefer i6
Registered Member

Hi out there I'm new at this going by srh reefer can't wait for the good advice

srh reefer i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 12:29 PM   #8137
tuhumom
Registered Member

Hi this is tuhumom and i live in a small country of asia. I am very glad for welcome thread.

tuhumom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 10:16 PM   #8138
nopun
Registered Member

dropping by to say hello to fellow enthusiasts! glad to be part of the community! have a fowlr and venturing into my first reef tank.

nopun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 02:55 AM   #8139
Virtual Balboa
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I joined this site because I'm currently building my first 29 gallon reef tank. I like knowing that I can get some great advice from knowledgeable folks!

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing right."

Current Tank Info: 29 gallon, 75 gallon in the works
Virtual Balboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 01:13 PM   #8140
zennerz
Registered Member

Hello! I'm brand spanking new, and joined up to get some good guidance before starting up shrimp. I've been keeping land hermit crabs for about two years now, and don't want to have to deal with a steep learning curve on proper care for shrimps like I did with my crabs, so am wanting to gather up as much information now and get everything set up for them before I buy them.

zennerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 02:14 PM   #8141
newbsaltwater
Registered Member

Hi RC from Ontario Canada

Very new to the hobby. We have a 55 gallon saltwater. Members of our family are 5 Chromis, Coral Beauty, Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, 3 False Percs, 2 Anemones, 2 Camel shrimp, 3 Cleaner Shrimp and numerous hermit crabs and snails. We just recently purchased a Fluval 406 canister filter and were wondering if it's ok to sit it on the cabinet behind the tank. It is too tall to fit inside the cabinet so right now it is sitting behind the cabinet on the floor. It is a few inches shorter than the height of the tank. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

newbsaltwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2014, 05:50 PM   #8142
CRONZ
Registered Member

HELLO!!! new to RC, also active on SDReefs

Im a noob and currently starting my 1st salt tank, about a month in.

so far loving it and have less $$ then usual lolz

Visio 40 Gallon Breeder
Finnex HMO Heater w/ Digital LED Controller
Jebao WP-10s with Dual Controller
Jebao DC-3000 Return Pump
Custom 20 Gallon Sump w/ Refugium
Reef Octopus Classic INT-110 Protein Skimmer
Evergrow IT2080 LED Lights

CRONZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2014, 08:42 PM   #8143
Tactical33125
Registered Member

New to the SW tank hobby.

Well these aw my first SW tanks, I've had freshwater my whole life and have been wanting a SW one badly, well instead of opting for 1, I actually ended up getting 2 lol, first one I started from ground up which is my 29 gallon biocube, got the tank bare from my cousin, it only had upgraded LED lights, I ended up setting it up with 2 bags of live sand, and about 20 pounds of life rock, once the tank finally cycled for a month I started working on it, so far I have are 2 clownfish ( nothing special ), 1 royal gramma ( was going for the finding Nemo theme ), a red starfish, arrowhead crab, porcelain crab, rock anemone for the crab,2 Sally crabs, purple lobster, pipe organs, my favorite green ricordea mushroom, and 2 zoas.
After getting the tank set up I end up buying off a co worker a 14 gallon biocube already set up for 120$ , I ended up stabilizing the tank out, getting everything squared away, and it didn't take me more them 10 minutes before everything was perfect, I ended up throwing 3 torch corals
In the tank with 2 small clownfish, I've also upgraded the PC lights on the 14 gallon to LEDs that came off of the top to my 29 gallon, both tanks have upgraded return pumps, maxi 1200 ( 29g ), mj900 ( 14g ), both are running heaters and LED lights, the 29g has a jebao wp-10 I just got, and the 14 has a hydor powerhead, both tanks look amazing in my room one on each side of my bed, we'll that's about it for now.

Unread 10/19/2014, 10:26 PM   #8144
pREEFERED
Registered Member

brand new new

hello all, really excited about my new tank... 2 days into cycling, adding a piece of shrimp tomorrow to help kick things off...

live to reef

Current Tank Info: Reefer170
pREEFERED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 07:09 AM   #8145
Dennis_
Registered Member

New to Reef tanks starting from the Bottom

I am new to the forum. My name is Dennis.
I have had only freshwater tanks for the past 10 years.
" one being a very impressive river tank".
I am ready to start a reef tank because I have some very interesting ideas.
I want mostly coral as opposed to fish. I get upset when I see tangs in these nano tanks on YouTube. I will hand feed all of my coral so waste is minimal.
I will also get some shrimps and snails to help clean.

In a way this tank will become the forums tank.

I might also post a link once a month to vote on a wysiwyg piece for the tank. So first I need suggestions on the tank. I would think 60 gallons would be the limit, I am looking to purchase . I would like the tank to run through the winter with live rock becoming well established. Because some of the australian pieces are going to run me $250-$300 for a 2 -3 inch piece. What is the best all in one tank to get ?

Dennis_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 09:16 AM   #8146
gilly1969
Registered Member

Hello everyone. Little about me I have had several freshwater tanks over the years so I decided to start a saltwater tank. Got my 54 gal corner tank set up and running good. Have some smaller fish in there now can't wait to get more colorful fish in the tank and to start getting some corals going.

gilly1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 10:01 AM   #8147
ericerac
Registered Member

Hello from Europe

Hi everybody,
I'm Eric,from Belgium, and i am new in saltwater. I try to learn the way for maintain in good condition a tank. Sorry for my basic English but I take care to me ;p

Eric.

ericerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2014, 08:31 PM   #8148
Jeshon
Registered Member

Just wanna say Hi to everyone. Newbie here, started my first saltwater tank last month. So far so good not the greatest but decent for me atleast hehe. Anyway this forum help me a lot when I was doing my research and reading faqs before I start this hobby.

Jeshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 01:27 AM   #8149
tfrsam147
Registered Member

Hey everyone. Im fairly new to thw hobby. Been working on getting everything together for my 60g cube build. This will be ny first complete reef and fish tank. Cant wait!

tfrsam147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/21/2014, 04:35 AM   #8150
hbrochs
Registered Member

Hello, I'm Howard from Westchester NY, and this is my first post. I just purchased an Innovative Marine SR-80 shallow reef tank. It was delivered yesterday, and set up with Fuji pink sand and 50lbs of live rock. The current filtration is just the two filter socks. I have LED lights ordered. Need to figure out which protein skimmer works and fits in the chamber. I've been researching tanks for a couple of months, and thought it would be awhile before I bought, but I swung by my lfs last week and the tank was on major sale. Could not pass it up. Now of course I'm scrambling to figure out the rest of the set up. Excited and nervous at the same time!

Howard

hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral