Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2018, 03:07 PM   #1
clownishgambino
Registered Member

How old are your clownfish?

Just curious how long you guys have kept some of your clownish. Trying to get an estimate of their lifespan in captivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clownishgambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 07:44 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

I've seen posts of them 30 yrs or older

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2018, 10:29 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I had a pair of gold stripe maroons for 12 years before giving them to another reefer .... that was in 2005, for all I know they're still alive. My current pair are closing on 10 years if the claim if their prior custodian is true. I've had them for almost 6 years.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 08:32 AM   #4
hoborex
Registered Member

I had a maroon clownfish for over twenty seven (27) years in a 20 gallon tank that was over the years fitted with a 5 gallon sump. The fish was alone in the tank with soft corals and would have most likely still be alive if the controller on my chiller didn’t drop the water temperature to 55 degrees. I actually still have the fish in my freezer thinking that possibly some biologist might be interested in having it to study.

hoborex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 09:15 AM   #5
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

mine died at around 7, it was my fault because I moved tanks and he spent a little to long in the old tank that was lacking life support before everything was setup. it was a sad day, we made it through a battle with brook a few years prior. I miss that guy :-(

New one's are 2 years old and going through a biting phase (hopefully a phase) on my hand when I do a water change

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Chris Atkinson
Registered Member

These guys are over 9 years old.

They no longer bob up and down like "puppies" which is what young clownfish seem to do. Now that they're bigger, they pretty much seem to want to jockey for position and push each other around constantly.

One was much bigger than the other, but recently the small one has been catching up size-wise.

I bought these from someone who ran a retail shop and they were sold as "mocha" clowns. I'd imagine they are some type of maroon clowns. (anyone who knows clowns better than I - feel free to identify)

At one time, they were in a nice reef tank, but I downsized to a Biocube 14. I just now put new LED lights on this setup and am trying to get some corraline re-established and get some colorful, easier-to-maintain corals going.

Edit: Mine started biting several years ago and I frequently have to net them and put them in a container if I want to reach my hand in the tank. One of them made me bleed one time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clowns1.jpg (101.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Clowns2.jpg (102.6 KB, 40 views)
Chris Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 08:07 PM   #7
boombox3
Registered Member

Hello, My black and white clowns are 10 years old. Very much alive and kicking.

boombox3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2018, 01:23 PM   #8
Luis A M
Premium Member

I kept two clown breeding pairs for over 20 years.
One, the A.frenatus pair had some few months ago the female developing a whitish growth in the lower jaw.She stopped spawning and eating and died recently.
The female of my other pair,A.ocellaris,quit spawning and became grossly egg-bound.Otherwise she remained feeding and in overall good health.
Lately the inner mass was evacuated spontaneously like an abcess,thru the abdominal wall.
And now the pair has reassumed spawning fertile clutches.

Current Tank Info: I keep about 40 tanks,for breeding and larval raising.Most are 10 gallons.
Luis A M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2018, 01:39 PM   #9
Pavlo
Registered Member

Got my percula in 1994 and she is still spawning every 2 weeks.

Pavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2018, 09:24 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

A friend of mine, Outerbank, here on RC have his tank raised Ocellaris since 1987 I think. They still spawned every few weeks.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 06:32 PM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

I stand corrected. Outerbank's Captive Bred Ocellaris are 25 year old and still lay eggs regularly. He will post picture tomorrow.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2018, 08:57 PM   #12
MarkW64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
These guys are over 9 years old.

They no longer bob up and down like "puppies" which is what young clownfish seem to do. Now that they're bigger, they pretty much seem to want to jockey for position and push each other around constantly.

One was much bigger than the other, but recently the small one has been catching up size-wise.

I bought these from someone who ran a retail shop and they were sold as "mocha" clowns. I'd imagine they are some type of maroon clowns. (anyone who knows clowns better than I - feel free to identify)

At one time, they were in a nice reef tank, but I downsized to a Biocube 14. I just now put new LED lights on this setup and am trying to get some corraline re-established and get some colorful, easier-to-maintain corals going.

Edit: Mine started biting several years ago and I frequently have to net them and put them in a container if I want to reach my hand in the tank. One of them made me bleed one time.
FWIW Mochas are ocellaris, not maroons.

Unread 09/14/2018, 12:56 AM   #13
indo
Registered Member

I have an Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums (ORA) Clarkii that's 18 years old.

indo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 09:21 AM   #14
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I've seen posts of them 30 yrs or older
^This. I personally have a WC pair that are 9 and 10 years in my care. Another for ~6 years and have had one that was 14.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
WDLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2018, 09:24 AM   #15
hoborex
Registered Member

IMG_0476.jpg

Unread 09/14/2018, 09:25 AM   #16
hoborex
Registered Member

The photo above was my 27 year old Maroon Clown Just before the controller on my chiller did her in.

Unread 09/14/2018, 10:14 AM   #17
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoborex View Post
The photo above was my 27 year old Maroon Clown Just before the controller on my chiller did her in.

I was expecting a much larger fish. How big was she when she passed? I ask because I've seen Marroons in excess of 8"

I know my A. thiellei female has already exceeded the maximum size in Burgess' original description by up to 30% (90mm -vs- ~120mm)

Also, what was your tank size? I'm curious to know what factors might influence how large fully grown adult fish might grow.

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife
Unread 09/14/2018, 12:37 PM   #18
hoborex
Registered Member

The fish was 11 cm. I still have it in the freezer. Thought someone might be interested in studying it.
Tank was a twenty gallon with a five gallon sump. Feed only once a day and would kill anything else I would put in the tank.

Unread 09/14/2018, 12:59 PM   #19
WDLV
Skunk Hybrid Freak

Wow! That's oddly small!!! Thanks for sharing!

"The tanks go or I go."
- Ex Wife