Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2001, 09:24 AM   #1
Yellowboy
Registered Member

Ok I have two questions. The first one is about a feather duster. He likes his home and I don't want to have to move him to another tank but i found him and don't want him to die. Will an octopus(when i finally get him) eat him just like it will eat everything else or will it be ignored.

Question number two. This may need some chemistry majors for the answer so heads up. Octopus have hemocyanin in there blood to carry oxygen instead of hemoglobin. This is copper based. I was under the impression copper kills all. does this mean i will need to dose copper for an octopus? If I don't will he run out of this element needed for his blood? If i do dose copper in what form should it be?

Yellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2001, 09:36 AM   #2
cephalopoder
Premium Member

Your octo shouldn't bother your tube worm. It is not a food item of intrest to him. If any thing he might use it to decorate his den, but most if the time they use shells and rocks. I have sea cucumbers, and brittle stars in my tank and none have ever been even looked at by my octos.
Part 2
Copper kills!!!!!!! any copper in the water and octo is dead meat!!!!!!!! Thats why you must use rodi water only.
They may have copper properties in their blood but you don't want any in their tank!!!!!!!

Unread 03/30/2001, 10:38 PM   #3
noidster
Registered Member

I had an octopus for about 9 months( never found out exactly what species ) and after the arrow crab in the tank my two feather dusters were next to be eaten. All within about 30 minutes!

just my two pennies

noidster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2001, 09:05 AM   #4
cephalopoder
Premium Member

It can be hard to tell some times what is a food item. Depending on the species the diet can vary.
I had a octopus of the macropus species, O. aspilosomatis perhaps. It wouldn't touch snails. Only ate the crayfish and frozen shrimp it was fed. I had brittle stars, sea cucumbers, tons of blue and small red leg hermits in the tank. I wouldn't eat any of the small hermits or snails of any size at all. But it would eat large hermits.
I have a bimac now that loves snails. Has cleaned every one out of the tank even a gigantic mexican turbo that took him a month of trying before he could get him out of the shell.
He ate a lot of the red leg hermits that I had but seems to not touch some of the red legs or any blue legs. I think it is a size issue. They are too small to bother with perhaps. The bimac still shows no interest in any of the sea cucumbers or serpent starts.
The arctic octopus that Dr James Woods studies is reported to love brittle stars when most octos will not touch them.
Just about any thing can be at risk with the right octo. The odds though are smaller with some food items I should have said.