Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2018, 12:06 PM   #1
ddfb
Registered Member

Wrasse help

HI Guys new to the form and new to the hubby (kinda) almost 2 years..
I have a Red Sea 350 - so thats 95g and 75g display

so it looks like my Labout's Fairy Wrasse started picking on my pin tail fairy wrasse after like 4 months of living happy together. dont know what changed \
they do not bather the mystery wrasse

On Friday I added a yellow fin fairy wrasse to see if that will help. this did not happen as planned.
it looks like the Labout's Fairy Wrasse is the boss and started to chase him as well.

now the Labout's Fairy Wrasse just swims by them to keep them in check I dont see any aggression from him in my point of view however the pin tail is now nipping at the yellow fin

I dont know who or if I need to pull any of them

I still would like to add 2 more wrasse to the mix Lineatus Fairy Wrasse and Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse

thanks in advance for your help

ddfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2018, 02:40 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Generally as long as you don’t mix species from the same complex you’re ok.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 02:03 AM   #3
Half Vaped
Registered Member

I would be most worried about the Mystery Wrasse going aggressive over time. I've read of some people having success mixing the Mystery Wrasse with other Wrasses, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

The Lineatus and Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse are in the same Rubrimarginatus complex, but can usually mix well together. Definitely add the Rhomboid first since they tend to be timid. Be careful with your existing Wrasses picking on it.

I would give the fish time to work it out. If you need to, maybe try putting the aggressor(s) in (an) acclimation box(es) for a while.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cirrhilabrus Complexes.jpg (84.0 KB, 17 views)
Half Vaped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2018, 07:16 AM   #4
alton
Registered Member

My yellow fin and pintail where best buds. I guess nothing is perfect. I use the diagram that half vaped posted all the time

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 01:20 AM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

Long term Pintail should be fine with other wrasse. They are not very aggressive. I would also worry that the Mystery wrasse will not play nice once he is getting a little larger.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote