Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2019, 10:53 AM   #4051
swiftvision
Registered Member

Why does the software now have three light types for categories under 'LAMP':

Hybrid Neu
LED
Hybrid

I have a non-wifi T5/LED Hybrid. Which category do I choose?

Current Tank Info: 8 Gallon Nano Reef and custom 100G cube reef
swiftvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2019, 11:16 AM   #4052
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftvision View Post
Why does the software now have three light types for categories under 'LAMP':

Hybrid Neu
LED
Hybrid

I have a non-wifi T5/LED Hybrid. Which category do I choose?
Hybrid Neu is not available in North America. This was a SST2 fixture (before WiFi) that had the WiFi LED Cluster included. We opted not to import this knowing the WiFi was coming to simplify the support requirements of all the generations.

LED - ATI Sirius fixture

Hybrid - Non WiFi Powermodule

Current Tank Info: 175g mixed powered by an ATI LED Powermodule
Keith@ ATI NA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 02:10 PM   #4053
swiftvision
Registered Member

My ATI Hybrid got (8) new bulbs. After the 50 hour in, (4) all on channel (1) burned out within (2-4) days of switching to dimming program.

ATI claims it must be the dimming settings I used for the burn-in. As all points were at 100% I'm not sure I agree with this.

MarineDepot won't help me (won't be shopping with them again) and just pushed me off to ATI.
ATI won't help me either and just blame me; not sure I can recommend them to others.

These bulbs and luminaires are too expensive to be having these issues. I was a fool to spend $1500 on this light but this seems to be common for this hobby (extremely overpriced items with no warranty or quality to back up high price/illusion of quality). There are much cheaper t5ho options and with the 'add-on' LED kits on the market, why spend it on ATI?

I also don't recommend their bulbs as there are other cheaper German bulb options which don't burn out the first week with equal (or better) performance.

Last edited by swiftvision; 01/30/2019 at 02:18 PM.
Unread 01/30/2019, 03:11 PM   #4054
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
My ATI Hybrid got (8) new bulbs. After the 50 hour in, (4) all on channel (1) burned out within (2-4) days of switching to dimming program.

ATI claims it must be the dimming settings I used for the burn-in. As all points were at 100% I'm not sure I agree with this.

MarineDepot won't help me (won't be shopping with them again) and just pushed me off to ATI.
ATI won't help me either and just blame me; not sure I can recommend them to others.

These bulbs and luminaires are too expensive to be having these issues. I was a fool to spend $1500 on this light but this seems to be common for this hobby (extremely overpriced items with no warranty or quality to back up high price/illusion of quality). There are much cheaper t5ho options and with the 'add-on' LED kits on the market, why spend it on ATI?

I also don't recommend their bulbs as there are other cheaper German bulb options which don't burn out the first week with equal (or better) performance.

Hello Swiftvision

Would it be possible for you to email the schedule used for the burn in period? Is this fixture being used inside a canopy?

Also, in your email to me you stated it was a Dimmable Sunpower, not a Hybrid Powermodule. Unless I have the wrong support ticket, but this is the only person with a similar story. It is extremely common for people to misunderstand how to program a Dimmable Sunpower, hence my comments. Often times it is misunderstood the fixture will automatically adjust from one set point to another, for example:
0900 ON
0901 100%
2000 OFF
The fixture would go from 100% and slowly dim down until off at 2000. It will NOT run at 100% all day and would ruin the bulbs if done this way. Many believe they are doing it right but they did not read or miss read the included documentation.

For 4 bulbs to burn out (Assuming you have actually tested them, since if 1 on each ballast fails both will go out) there is virtually no other explanation. I am sure many here can attest that our bulbs rarely fail, for you to have 4 fail tells me there is more to the story here.

Please send me an email so we can continue to discuss, I will do what I can to help but there is certainly something going on here where replacement bulbs will not be the answer since it will happen again, as this is not just random chance.

Unread 01/30/2019, 04:41 PM   #4055
swiftvision
Registered Member

Here is the VERY first email I sent to you:

Mikey Nelsomic
Attachments
Mon, Jan 7, 10:09 AM
to ATI

Hello,

One of my banks of lights on my 24" Hybrid T5/LED light has gone out.

Here is the email BRS sent you just in case mine wasn't enough:

Thomas Billington
Attachments
Jan 4, 2019, 9:08 AM
to customercare@atinorthamerica.com, me

Hey there!

I have a customer who is CC’d in this email who is in need of warranty support regarding his power module fixture. Please reach out to him to see what can be done to get him taken care of. I will attach his invoice that has a purchase date of Dec, 2016.

Take care!

Thomas Billington

In the above the invoice for the luminaire was also attached for your reference. I'm not sure I should have to continually remind you of the product I'm having problems with.

I don't have the burn-in file as why would I keep it. I modified it once burn it was complete to the normal daily dimming pattern.

I dragged all the 'points' for the (2) fluorescent channels to 100% and the LEDs to 0%. Whats more to tell?

If this is a known problem, then why not have a 'burn-in' or '100%' output button? I clicked on each 'DOT' on the program. Each read '100%'. What more do I need to do? This isn't the first set of bulbs in this fixture either. I was replacing the 1.5 year bulbs which I did the same burn-in on prior. This wasn't my first time using the product.

I told you that I removed the 'ON' bulbs and moved/switched them with the 'OFF' bulbs and they worked. The 'OFF' bulbs are noticeably burned and tossed. You seem to be insinuating that I am lying now despite this same information being sent to you. I did everything you initially asked for and the bottom line is there is nothing left to say other than to report my experiences with your product and service support.

Like I said you are blaming me without saying it. You're not going to do anything about it. Fine, so I owe it to others to know about it.

I will say at least you answer emails which is more than many manufacturers in this hobby. But what's the point if it's always the customer's fault even if you don't have a specific reason? I ordered another $100 of bulbs, not sure it's even worth trying to burn-in now. If they burn-out again it sounds like a: I'll be blamed again and b: my only option will be to put the luminaire in the garbage.

Here is all ATI NA puts out regarding burn-in; not even a photo of the software nor discussion of the 'proper' way to use it for the magical burn-in period:

https://www.atinorthamerica.com/how-...n-in-t5-bulbs/

Last edited by swiftvision; 01/30/2019 at 05:18 PM.
Unread 01/30/2019, 05:14 PM   #4056
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Hello again Swiftvision,

I reviewed the support ticket and never did I say I would not do anything about it, as we left it you stated you would send me the file of the program you used and I never heard back.

"Like I said you are blaming me without saying it. You're not going to do anything about it. Fine, so I owe it to others to know about it."
I never meant to imply you did anything out of spite or malice, simply that something was wrong. Clearly something is wrong as this is not common or usual behavior, 4 bulbs do not simply burn out for no reason. We would never simply replace bulbs without getting to the bottom of the issue or it will simply repeat itself.

Once we get to the bottom of it we can move forward and help as necessary, we cannot however simply send new bulbs without fixing the cause.

We are here to help, if you feel otherwise I am sorry to hear, but I don't know what else I can do.

Unread 01/30/2019, 05:28 PM   #4057
swiftvision
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith@ ATI NA View Post
Hello again Swiftvision,

I reviewed the support ticket and never did I say I would not do anything about it, as we left it you stated you would send me the file of the program you used and I never heard back.

"Like I said you are blaming me without saying it. You're not going to do anything about it. Fine, so I owe it to others to know about it."
I never meant to imply you did anything out of spite or malice, simply that something was wrong. Clearly something is wrong as this is not common or usual behavior, 4 bulbs do not simply burn out for no reason. We would never simply replace bulbs without getting to the bottom of the issue or it will simply repeat itself.

Once we get to the bottom of it we can move forward and help as necessary, we cannot however simply send new bulbs without fixing the cause.

We are here to help, if you feel otherwise I am sorry to hear, but I don't know what else I can do.
I never asked for new bulbs either. I just don't want to have them blow out again. I don't have the burn-in file. You didn't and still haven't offered me any solutions, only to continually ask for the burn in file I don't have (so you could just blaim me anyways). I followed all your instructions; are you just looking for the first thing I cant respond with and then blame it on that? I just need to get the light working again. If you don't have a way to run a diagnose then I need to start replacing parts or replace the light. A half working light is not acceptable.

It would be cheaper for me to just replace all the fans and ballasts then to have another $100 of bulbs blow again.

So now that you know I don't have the burn-in file; what help are you offering next?

Last edited by swiftvision; 01/30/2019 at 05:41 PM.
Unread 01/30/2019, 05:45 PM   #4058
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
I never asked for new bulbs. I just don't want to have them blow out again. You offered no solutions. How is that help? I don't have the burn-in file. So I guess without that you won't help me? Because that IS where you left it. You didn't and still haven't offered me any help, only to continually ask for the burn in file I don't have (so you could just blaim me anyways). I followed all your instructions; are you just looking for the first thing I cant respond with and then blame it on that? I just need to get the light working again. If you don't have a way to run a diagnose then I need to start replacing parts or replace the light. A half working light is not acceptable.

It would be cheaper for me to just replace all the fans and ballasts then to have $100 of bulbs blow again.

"Also, in your email to me you stated it was a Dimmable Sunpower, not a Hybrid Powermodule."

Mikey Nelsomic
Fri, Jan 25, 10:09 AM (5 days ago)
to ATI

Hi,

I put the LED channel at o% at all points and channel 1 and 2 at 100% at all points.

I don't want your bulbs to blow again either, which is why I have asked a number of questions to get to the bottom of it, which have not yet been answered.

For example "Is your fixture inside a canopy"? Better yet perhaps you can provide a photo of the installation?

Reason: It is entirely likely it is overheating, as a result it is automatically dimming, as a result the bulbs were not properly seasoned and failed prematurely.

Without you answering the questions I am asking to troubleshoot the problem I cannot help.

I really do want to help, but you cannot expect me to give you a diagnoses without more details. You seem so caught up on me blaming you when really I am only trying to find the cause.

Unread 02/03/2019, 03:35 AM   #4059
alazo1
Premium Member

Sorry but I have not read this whole thread.
I'm upgrading to a 120 gallon tank 48 x 24 x 24 and thinking of getting the non wifi ati hybrid (8 bulb). I have mainly sps.
Just wondering if you folks that have had this fixture for a while are still happy with it. Pros, cons. Another idea is just getting the 8 t5 fixture and adding a couple of led strips. However, I really like the idea of having just one chord.
thanks for any feedback!
Albert

alazo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 03:42 AM   #4060
theshaman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazo1 View Post
Sorry but I have not read this whole thread.
I'm upgrading to a 120 gallon tank 48 x 24 x 24 and thinking of getting the non wifi ati hybrid (8 bulb). I have mainly sps.
Just wondering if you folks that have had this fixture for a while are still happy with it. Pros, cons. Another idea is just getting the 8 t5 fixture and adding a couple of led strips. However, I really like the idea of having just one chord.
thanks for any feedback!
Albert

I have said this before and I will say it again. This is by far the best light I have ever used. It will grow anything anywhere in your tank. I have not had any trouble with my fixture. It is totally worth the price. I have the four bulb version and just yesterday I ordered myself the 8 bulb version. It was
On clearance on BRS and I got it for 50% off. The four bulb version has been on my 90 gallon tank and growing sps all over the tank. Even on the bottom of the tank I’m getting great growth. I can’t wait to see what the 8 bulb version can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2019, 01:24 PM   #4061
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaman View Post
I have said this before and I will say it again. This is by far the best light I have ever used. It will grow anything anywhere in your tank

Do you have the ultraviolet leds or just the older reds? I bought at end of 2015 but not yet installed (looooong build due to sh*tty tank mfr) and have the reds. Debating whether to convert to ultraviolet led modules before I finally hang the units.

Unread 02/03/2019, 02:05 PM   #4062
theshaman
Registered Member

I have the red led in mine too.
I wouldn’t change it out. It works perfect the way it is.

Unread 02/03/2019, 02:07 PM   #4063
theshaman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post

Do you have the ultraviolet leds or just the older reds? I bought at end of 2015 but not yet installed (looooong build due to sh*tty tank mfr) and have the reds. Debating whether to convert to ultraviolet led modules before I finally hang the units.

I have the red led on mine too.
I wouldn’t change it out for the uv.

Unread 02/04/2019, 05:39 PM   #4064
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaman View Post
I have said this before and I will say it again. This is by far the best light I have ever used. It will grow anything anywhere in your tank. I have not had any trouble with my fixture. It is totally worth the price. I have the four bulb version and just yesterday I ordered myself the 8 bulb version. It was
On clearance on BRS and I got it for 50% off. The four bulb version has been on my 90 gallon tank and growing sps all over the tank. Even on the bottom of the tank I’m getting great growth. I can’t wait to see what the 8 bulb version can do.

Thank you for the kind words theshaman!

Unread 02/06/2019, 12:03 PM   #4065
swiftvision
Registered Member

Just an update, but ATI and BRS have not offered any solutions to me. They will not warranty the bulbs or the light.

I have answered every one of Keith's questions and he does not know the problem and has not offered any solutions.

My $1500 light is still not working; to make things worse BRS sent my replacement bulbs to a wrong address and want $40 to redirect to my address??? I told them forget it. ATI can't promise they won't just blow out again and Tyler at BRS told me TODAY they will NOT STANDBY THEIR ATI BULB WARRANTY AND WILL NOT REPLACE ANY BULBS BURNED OUT; within 30 days does not matter!

Buyer Beware; it's been 6 weeks and not one suggestion.

Here's my install over my 1.5 month old tank....not too shabby despite the poor lighting (hopefully this clears up the false accusations of incorrect install or that I don't know what I'm talking about by ATI):

Last edited by swiftvision; 02/06/2019 at 12:22 PM.
Unread 02/06/2019, 04:07 PM   #4066
Keith@ ATI NA
Registered Member

Quote:
Just an update, but ATI and BRS have not offered any solutions to me. They will not warranty the bulbs or the light.

I have answered every one of Keith's questions and he does not know the problem and has not offered any solutions.

My $1500 light is still not working; to make things worse BRS sent my replacement bulbs to a wrong address and want $40 to redirect to my address??? I told them forget it. ATI can't promise they won't just blow out again and Tyler at BRS told me TODAY they will NOT STANDBY THEIR ATI BULB WARRANTY AND WILL NOT REPLACE ANY BULBS BURNED OUT; within 30 days does not matter!

Buyer Beware; it's been 6 weeks and not one suggestion.

Here's my install over my 1.5 month old tank....not too shabby despite the poor lighting (hopefully this clears up the false accusations of incorrect install or that I don't know what I'm talking about by ATI):
Hello Swiftvision,

I can certainly understand your frustration, and had you given me an opportunity to address your email today prior to posting you would have seen that we are offering you a solution that I believe is more than fair given your fixture is well out of warranty.

As we have discussed previously everything about your situation points to a problem with the burn in period. And while I believe you did your best to properly burn-in the in the bulbs there certainly could be something that we missed and for that I apologize.

I will follow-up with you directly via email with our proposed solution.

Unread 02/06/2019, 07:22 PM   #4067
Kengar
Registered Member

@swiftvision

Reading your posts quickly and with flu, and not being familiar with the whole story and any emails you and ATI may have had offline, it seems to me that they are trying to resolve your issue for you........ (you want a story of a vendor screwing the customer, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you about my experience with Coast to Coast.....)

Unread 02/08/2019, 01:24 AM   #4068
theshaman
Registered Member

I received my 8 bulb powermodule yesterday.
Wow! I love how everything is so crisp.

Unread 02/09/2019, 09:36 AM   #4069
Orcus Varuna
Registered Member

I have to back up ATI here something is amiss with the situation occurring in the posts above. IME experience both Keith and ATI in general have been excellent in answering any of my concerns. Heck Keith even assisted me in backdooring my light onto my WiFi network to help with a timekeeping issue due to the frequent brownouts we experience here in Florida. They could have very easily said there was nothing they could do and that it was just something I would have to deal with. But they did not do this they helped fix the issue and went above and beyond imo. Heck I’m quite sure if they couldn’t fix the issue they would have offered to at least flip me to another fixture. Regardless I am confident they would do everything in their power to make a situation right for a customer. As a consumer I am fully aware that products will fail regardless of price, it’s the service that separates companies imo. And the service is the reason I purchase gear from the likes of ATI, Ecotech, LifeReef, Neptune, etc. These companies have all gone above and beyond for me even on products that had long since exited their warranty periods...

Orcus Varuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 11:22 AM   #4070
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:

Is the shield off?

Unread 02/14/2019, 01:56 AM   #4071
blackizzz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcus Varuna View Post
I have to back up ATI here something is amiss with the situation occurring in the posts above. IME experience both Keith and ATI in general have been excellent in answering any of my concerns. Heck Keith even assisted me in backdooring my light onto my WiFi network to help with a timekeeping issue due to the frequent brownouts we experience here in Florida. They could have very easily said there was nothing they could do and that it was just something I would have to deal with. But they did not do this they helped fix the issue and went above and beyond imo. Heck I’m quite sure if they couldn’t fix the issue they would have offered to at least flip me to another fixture. Regardless I am confident they would do everything in their power to make a situation right for a customer. As a consumer I am fully aware that products will fail regardless of price, it’s the service that separates companies imo. And the service is the reason I purchase gear from the likes of ATI, Ecotech, LifeReef, Neptune, etc. These companies have all gone above and beyond for me even on products that had long since exited their warranty periods...

Curious to how you did the backdooring to your WiFi, I’ve tried the same but with no luck

Unread 02/14/2019, 05:06 PM   #4072
rynoe
Registered Member

blackizz,
Have you contacted support? Keith has some instructions on how to back door the fixture. It works quite well.

rynoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2019, 05:04 PM   #4073
JPMagyar
Registered Member

The ATI LED Hybrid Powermodule is hands down the best fixture available on the market today in terms of versatility and effectiveness. ATI bulbs are proven performers with decades of history and thousands of successful reefs. If 4 bulbs failed there is a high probability that the user did something wrong; no question about it. Regardless, bulb/lamp companies can not replace bulbs every time someone says theirs burned out early. If companies did that they would go broke replacing burned out bulbs that weren't actually defective.

If you want to learn what went wrong take the discussion to email and listen and respond appropriately to Keith who is bending over backwards to be helpful. Attempting to put down ATI or it's products won't make your reef better or solve your problem nor should you expect a refund for the bulbs.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1421594371

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..

Last edited by JPMagyar; 02/15/2019 at 05:11 PM.
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2019, 04:39 AM   #4074
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
The ATI LED Hybrid Powermodule is hands down the best fixture available on the market today in terms of versatility and effectiveness. ATI bulbs are proven performers with decades of history and thousands of successful reefs. If 4 bulbs failed there is a high probability that the user did something wrong; no question about it. Regardless, bulb/lamp companies can not replace bulbs every time someone says theirs burned out early. If companies did that they would go broke replacing burned out bulbs that weren't actually defective.

If you want to learn what went wrong take the discussion to email and listen and respond appropriately to Keith who is bending over backwards to be helpful. Attempting to put down ATI or it's products won't make your reef better or solve your problem nor should you expect a refund for the bulbs.

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1421594371

Glad to see you're still around Joe . Some of the best tanks I've ever seen on here.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2019, 08:19 AM   #4075
Jmason95
Registered Member

Hello...

So I picked up a 4 bulb, 24” fixture to run over an IM 20 gallon peninsula. I’m looking for any suggestions on a good starting point for intensity for the T5’s and LEDs. I was thinking of running both at 50% max for 6 hours, with 2 hours ramp up and down times. Tank will be an SPS tank. 3 blue + and a Fiji Purple. Any thoughts appreciated... Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 35x28x20 starphire Lee Mar
Jmason95 is offline   Reply With Quote