Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/10/2011, 03:07 PM   #7501
kinlayan
Registered Member

I am sorry about the Moorish Idols, the remaining one also looks underweight, they should not have that line across the body showing distinctly when they nice and plump.

I do think they need to be dewormed just like sand sifting gobies often do as they seem to have parasites in their gut that eat up most of their food before they can use it.I hope you do achieve success with them in the future , the longest i was able to keep one alive was 11 months , it was a greedy eater as well but here is where the problem came in one day it ate to many dry pellets which then swelled in its stomach causing an obstruction and probably an internal infection ( i now always soak pellets before i feed them)

The aquarium looks like a section of reef and is really just incredible well done!!

It was great to see the behind the scenes pictures too , what is the temperature of the room where the mangroves are kept and what is humidity like in there? Also is that a chiller under the chaeto sump?

Big thumbs up to all involved!!

Last edited by kinlayan; 08/10/2011 at 03:13 PM.
Unread 08/10/2011, 03:28 PM   #7502
Padrino
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Even though it is in the strangest place in the world and the likelihood that there is not one decent seafood restaurant within a hundred miles I will be joining Mr. Wilson at the upcoming MACNA for the conference. I should be arriving by a pretend airplane in time for a dinner or drink (likely both) Thurs late afternoon.

I am looking forward to catching up with members of this thread so please make sure you approach me with the code phrase...."hey, you owe me a drink from last year".

Peter
Peter,
I will see you there. I look forward to finally meeting you

Rob

Unread 08/10/2011, 03:30 PM   #7503
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinlayan View Post
I am sorry about the Moorish Idols, the remaining one also looks underweight, they should not have that line across the body showing distinctly when they nice and plump.

I do think they need to be dewormed just like sand sifting gobies often do as they seem to have parasites in their gut that eat up most of their food before they can use it.I hope you do achieve success with them in the future , the longest i was able to keep one alive was 11 months , it was a greedy eater as well but here is where the problem came in one day it ate to many dry pellets which then swelled in its stomach causing an obstruction and probably an internal infection ( i now always soak pellets before i feed them)

The aquarium looks like a section of reef and is really just incredible well done!!

It was great to see the behind the scenes pictures too , what is the temperature of the room where the mangroves are kept and what is humidity like in there? Also is that a chiller under the chaeto sump?

Thanks, We are keeping an eye on the idol and in fact are pleased with its progress in the tank. There was a blemish that may have come from a scrape in exploring the tank but it appeared severe initially but there has been a full recovery and the accompanying behaviour (eating and social) has been very very good.

The temp is 74 and the humidity is around 45%. Yes that is a chiller that we think we can take out eventually as apart from testing we have never needed it. The fish room is finished in marble which in my non scientific opinion acts as a powerful heat sink for the system. With the increase in reliance on LED's for the display tank the temperature appears to be experiencing fewer anomalies in temp. The range is 78 to 79 max. in the display tank.

If we decide we do need a chiller then I am going to do what should have been done in the first place and move the compressor outside.

Peter

Current Tank Info: SW mixed reef 1350 gal in progress
Unread 08/10/2011, 03:59 PM   #7504
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
Peter,
I will see you there. I look forward to finally meeting you

Rob
Sounds like a plan Rob.

Peter

Unread 08/10/2011, 08:14 PM   #7505
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTMogul View Post
I believe this was said earlier in this thread but a book needs to be made from the posts in this thread. Could have some of the best information in it you can find on the web.

Cheers to both Nineball and Mr.Wilson
Thank you. We have in fact been working towards refining the concrete information that this thread has been generating in a web site for folks to use as a reference. The major contributor has been Mr. Wilson who has given unselfishly of his time and energy waaaay above and beyond financial recompense to make this hobby a better place for all of us. One of the unsung heroes who has not been given enough recognition for his efforts has been Dave M who has done a phenomenal editing job to really make the information accessible and useful for all of us. He set up the web site and poured considerable effort for the benefit of this community. I owe him a sincere personal and public thank you for all the hard work. By the way Dave, are you going to MACNA??

We haven't released the site yet because Dave needs some input from Mr. Wilson on some content and Mr. Wilson has been dragging his a$$. So if anyone can help goad Mr. Wilson into getting the info to Dave we can finally release the site. Annnd there are a lot more pictures as well. So everyone please feel free to beg Mr. Wilson into completing the info request. If everyone who reads this posts a request to Mr. Wilson we can finally take this next important step.

Peter

Unread 08/10/2011, 08:31 PM   #7506
dave.m
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball
By the way Dave, are you going to MACNA??
Thx for your kind words, Peter. At the moment I haven't enough money to buy a pot to p in let alone go larking about with the jetset to exotic coral hotspots such as Iowa. I don't even have a passport. Maybe if I win the lottery ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball
So if anyone can help goad Mr. Wilson into getting the info to Dave we can finally release the site.
Please don't be too hard on Shawn. I can't afford to get on his bad side. Besides, the set-up keeps changing and I don't think he has made up his mind on a lot of things, yet. I'm sure things will gel in their own time.

How about we try again next week for a visit? I am free all week.

Cheers!

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
Unread 08/10/2011, 08:33 PM   #7507
Jessie Gray
Registered Member

this website is a great Idea. thanks peter for that and thanks Dave M for setting it up. camt wait to see it Mr Wison. hint nint

Current Tank Info: putting together a 240g reaf tank with large sump and fuge, 4 250w mh 8 t5s, 4 dwylite 4 actanic, 16 moonlite led's
Unread 08/10/2011, 09:18 PM   #7508
ENTMogul
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Thank you. We have in fact been working towards refining the concrete information that this thread has been generating in a web site for folks to use as a reference. The major contributor has been Mr. Wilson who has given unselfishly of his time and energy waaaay above and beyond financial recompense to make this hobby a better place for all of us. One of the unsung heroes who has not been given enough recognition for his efforts has been Dave M who has done a phenomenal editing job to really make the information accessible and useful for all of us. He set up the web site and poured considerable effort for the benefit of this community. I owe him a sincere personal and public thank you for all the hard work. By the way Dave, are you going to MACNA??

We haven't released the site yet because Dave needs some input from Mr. Wilson on some content and Mr. Wilson has been dragging his a$$. So if anyone can help goad Mr. Wilson into getting the info to Dave we can finally release the site. Annnd there are a lot more pictures as well. So everyone please feel free to beg Mr. Wilson into completing the info request. If everyone who reads this posts a request to Mr. Wilson we can finally take this next important step.

Peter
Peter, I will be at MACNA with eAquaria. I would love the opportunity to meet you. I'll PM you my details.

Unread 08/10/2011, 09:20 PM   #7509
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Gray View Post
this website is a great Idea. thanks peter for that and thanks Dave M for setting it up. camt wait to see it Mr Wison. hint nint
Very good Jessie,

Thanks
Peter

Unread 08/10/2011, 09:20 PM   #7510
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTMogul View Post
Peter, I will be at MACNA with eAquaria. I would love the opportunity to meet you. I'll PM you my details.
For sure...... Look forward to it.

Peter

Unread 08/10/2011, 09:58 PM   #7511
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Thx for your kind words, Peter. At the moment I haven't enough money to buy a pot to p in let alone go larking about with the jetset to exotic coral hotspots such as Iowa. I don't even have a passport. Maybe if I win the lottery ...

Please don't be too hard on Shawn. I can't afford to get on his bad side. Besides, the set-up keeps changing and I don't think he has made up his mind on a lot of things, yet. I'm sure things will gel in their own time.

How about we try again next week for a visit? I am free all week.

Cheers!

Dave.M
Ok either Mon or Thursday......I'll let you know tomorrow after I check with Mr. Wilson.

Peter

Unread 08/10/2011, 09:58 PM   #7512
spsreeflover
Moved On

I can't make a different beetwen sea and reef tank, it's look so natural scaping and color of coral, great job for both of you Peter & mr. Wilson

Anton

"Most Beautiful Life Form of Mother Nature"

Unread 08/10/2011, 10:02 PM   #7513
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsreeflover View Post

I can't make a different beetwen sea and reef tank, it's look so natural scaping and color of coral, great job for both of you Peter & mr. Wilson

Anton

Thank you Anton, that's a special compliment.

Peter & Mr. Wilson

Unread 08/10/2011, 10:18 PM   #7514
Jessie Gray
Registered Member

Quote:

Anton

+1

Current Tank Info: putting together a 240g reaf tank with large sump and fuge, 4 250w mh 8 t5s, 4 dwylite 4 actanic, 16 moonlite led's
Unread 08/11/2011, 06:20 AM   #7515
zaheda
Registered Member

I just love this tank. Mr Wilson is a glass hydrometer or refractometer more accurate when checking salinity?

Unread 08/11/2011, 08:45 AM   #7516
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
shawn nice pictures looks like peters got some competition.

a note on the mangroves,i see some burnt tips on the leaves.
i have found by clipping those tips the plant becomes bushier and the plant becomes stronger. you may want to experiment with a plant and see if theres a difference.
i have tested for nitrates both above and taken from the mud.
water above the mud was undetectable,water from mud strained through a coffee filter was off the charts,i do believe this was feeding the roots of mangroves.
out of curiosity how much water is being changed,weekly or monthly.

vic

We change 100 gallons every week. I have been waiting for a bit more growth before pinching leaves, but we are getting there. I just need to check the laws about smoking these things now

Unread 08/11/2011, 08:52 AM   #7517
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMarine View Post
I have to admit, I have yet to post here on RC but have read your ENTIRE thread. So I must say: Job well done Peter. You have a great team behind you, and I'm positive your tank will be a benchmark of success to multitudes of other hobbyists. I have been thrilled to watch you put this system together and am right there with the crowd wishing I could do the same right now! Anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting here much more often and am looking forward to your progress as the tank matures and improvements to your systems are made.
Posts like this are one of my favourites to receive. It not only lets us know that you are all cheering from the stands (and death beds) to "win one more for the Gipper", it also gives us the pleasure that we have motivated you to step forward and post. The more we can flush out and get involved, the stronger the community becomes. We have a lot of geniuses out there in different fields and we have been very fortunate to receive some great advice from them along our journey... Thank you.

Unread 08/11/2011, 09:00 AM   #7518
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opcn View Post
What is this?

Also, I feel sorry for the poor saps who will come along in 10-15 years to find all the photobucket hotlinks dead :/
Right now, it's a QT/HT for bigger fish. We like to be prepared for any kind of emergency or new arrival. As we progress it will probably be a non-photosynthetic reef. We will swap out the biofilter for a protein skimmer and add some additional flow and let the fun begin. It is lit by two Orphek PR 25, 12 watt lights. They are meant for nano tanks, but they do fine for fish only tanks that are deeper (32" deep in this case). I'm really happy with the 80/20 aluminum T-slot stand. It won't rust, it's high tech looking, and you don't have to wait for welding and powder coating. It's like an erector set for big kids, with a million options.

Don't worry about Photobucket, I will be ready to retire in 15 years and can supply all the photos for a small fee

Unread 08/11/2011, 09:08 AM   #7519
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinlayan View Post

The Moorish Idols had 4-5 weeks of QT with metronidazole and praziquantel, but you never know if you got to the parasitic worms. We lost the Blonde naso tang to worms recently, they are always a concern.

The chiller was supplied by my predecessor. I don't ever use chillers on reef tanks. peter had it and wanted it for back-up so I installed it. We tried it once and it dropped the tank 1˚F and raised the fishroom 13˚F, so we unplugged it. The tank is at 27˚C now, and the temperature outside has been 30-36˚C.

Unread 08/11/2011, 09:13 AM   #7520
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:

Anton

Your comments are very flattering... then I read you are in Indonesia where our fish and coral comes from... now I'm really honoured!!!

I took a lot of similar pictures, but I'll go ahead and post them anyway and put them up on Peters hosting site for a slide show.

Unread 08/11/2011, 09:16 AM   #7521
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheda View Post
I just love this tank. Mr Wilson is a glass hydrometer or refractometer more accurate when checking salinity?
I still like the old glass ones, especially the big ones, but the Veegee saltwater calibrated model is supposed to be the best tool. The Filter Guys sponsor here and have them in stock.

Unread 08/11/2011, 09:33 AM   #7522
dainiusiva
Registered Member

Shawn, what are the dimmensions of qt tank? this will look great when it will be turned into nps tank.

Unread 08/11/2011, 12:02 PM   #7523
RGibson
RGibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
Right now, it's a QT/HT for bigger fish. We like to be prepared for any kind of emergency or new arrival. As we progress it will probably be a non-photosynthetic reef. We will swap out the biofilter for a protein skimmer and add some additional flow and let the fun begin. It is lit by two Orphek PR 25, 12 watt lights. They are meant for nano tanks, but they do fine for fish only tanks that are deeper (32" deep in this case). I'm really happy with the 80/20 aluminum T-slot stand. It won't rust, it's high tech looking, and you don't have to wait for welding and powder coating. It's like an erector set for big kids, with a million options.

Don't worry about Photobucket, I will be ready to retire in 15 years and can supply all the photos for a small fee
Were did you buy the 80/20 aluminum?

Unread 08/11/2011, 03:41 PM   #7524
tonyespinoza
Premium Member

beautiful, inspiring pics!

couple of questions for mr. wilson re: refugium design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
A well planned refugium should be no deeper than 6", have decent flow to deter red cyanobacteria, utilize high intensity lighting, and contain an iron rich substrate such as laterite or get regular doses of iron.
1) Is there an optimal level of turn over from the tank? If not, what have you seen work with chaeto?
2) Does chaeto benefit from an iron supplying substrate? I presume we want enough flow to tumble the chaeto without disturbing the substrate? Do you recommend Miracle Mud, this AP Laterite (http://bit.ly/rsgeft) or some other? My fuge is 60" x 30" x 6" so a higher internal flow rate may be an issue for the substrate.

Okay, that was more than a couple questions!

This tank thread is the foundation for many of our large tanks!

Last edited by tonyespinoza; 08/11/2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Added quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 08:41 PM   #7525
chingchai
Premium Member

Peter and Shawn,

How is the color improvement and growth rate of SPS?
Are you happy with LED?

Closed Thread