Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2012, 12:22 PM   #26
TonyGolato
Registered Member

Would it be possible to order the specific LED's, heat sink, power supply individually at the best price from different suppliers? Does anyone sell small quantities of those specific (quality) items at reasonable prices? In other words if I had a parts list could I shop around?
Thanks,
Tony

TonyGolato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2012, 10:38 AM   #27
WhoDey
Registered Member

Update?

What did you end up doing? I'm also considering Aquaray(aquabeem) LED lighting.

Thanks
-Nate

WhoDey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2012, 08:35 AM   #28
Sasquatchluvin
Registered Member

I have had aqua ray 600 for 2 years with mixed success. Two of the lights have 1 led each burnt out all ready. I can grow hammer, frogspawn, mushrooms zoas, leathers, and I’ve had a small frag a single stick of birds nest grow into a fist size colony in about a year and got a couple frags from it. Recently started dosing and starting to try other sps. I’ve had a rose anemone out grow my tank and a rainbow anemone split 5 times under these lights. I’ve also killed a few frags of sps in the beginning because I underestimated the lights and put the frags to high in the tank. I have not had luck with acans, trumpet coral. I have only been into reef keeping for two years so I am pretty much a beginner. I have not been diligent in my two years in my care of the tank because a few months after starting new tank we moved and building took too much of my time but getting back into it now. I am moving the tank to its permanent location this winter and expanding my operation I am going with the ai vegas over the display tank and moving the 7 aqua ray 600's over a small frag tank. Oh yea I have 7 aqua ray 600's over a 76 gallon 1/2 round tank.

Sasquatchluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2012, 09:23 AM   #29
Sasquatchluvin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchluvin View Post
I have had aqua ray 600 for 2 years with mixed success. Two of the lights have 1 led each burnt out all ready. I can grow hammer, frogspawn, mushrooms zoas, leathers, and I’ve had a small frag a single stick of birds nest grow into a fist size colony in about a year and got a couple frags from it. Recently started dosing and starting to try other sps. I’ve had a rose anemone out grow my tank and a rainbow anemone split 5 times under these lights. I’ve also killed a few frags of sps in the beginning because I underestimated the lights and put the frags to high in the tank. I have not had luck with acans, trumpet coral. I have only been into reef keeping for two years so I am pretty much a beginner. I have not been diligent in my two years in my care of the tank because a few months after starting new tank we moved and building took too much of my time but getting back into it now. I am moving the tank to its permanent location this winter and expanding my operation I am going with the ai vegas over the display tank and moving the 7 aqua ray 600's over a small frag tank. Oh yea I have 7 aqua ray 600's over a 76 gallon 1/2 round tank.
Aquaray 600's over tank in canopy
Photobucket

Birdsnest 11-23-11
Photobucket
Birdsnest 10-23-12
Photobucket
Duncan 1-15-10
Photobucket
Duncan 9-2-12
Photobucket

Sasquatchluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2013, 07:59 PM   #30
Blondebell
Registered Member

Question tmc

how are those aquarays now? still burning up leds?
I just bought an aquabeam 1500 ocean white to try it out.
It seems good and my shrooms and zoas seem very happy but i am unsure if i should take the plunge and set up my 120 gal with a few of these. so many ppl say that thier claims are bogus or that they aren't bright enough or strong enough for sps. why is it that these lights have ten when so many others have three times that many? i know the 1500 is for more light spread and 1000/2000 is for deeper tanks. but would i be stupid for setting up a 120 mixed reef with aquarays 2-1500 and 1-1000 and 2-600 fijiblue?
should i spend my money on a vertex ill 360 instead?
I want to be able to keep anything in my new 120... almost anywhere

Blondebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2013, 05:56 PM   #31
Bake@96.6
Registered Member

I just installed 2 Aquabeam 1000 Reef Whites over one side of my single center braced 125G last week. They replaced 2, 96W Power Compacts (1, 10K and 1 actinic).

The other side of the tank still has 2 96W PC's but they will be replaced with the Aquabeams as well in the next month or so.

I didn't have any corals before, my tank was just a FOWLR. I wanted to wait until the tank was well established, I gained experience maintaining the system, and I had proper lighting for keeping corals.

I put in a few frags last week, a pulsing xenia, small green polyp colony, and a frogspawn. So far they all seem like they are doing well and adjusting to my tank.

I read all the same articles about the TMC products as well as all the others and, well I guess I drank the koolaid...

I am already considering adding some DIY supplemental lighting for some extra blue/UV spectrum kick. I will definitely be sharing my progress on the board...

Current Tank Info: 125G DT 90G sump/refugium in basement was FOWLER for 10 months going reef now
Bake@96.6 is offline   Reply With Quote