Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/30/2014, 04:54 PM   #576
joeyvu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
what size UV did you go with? mine is so strong and the water flows through it so slowly that it's raised my tank temperature by 6 degrees...i've had to bust out a fan to blow air over the water and i'm having to top off water twice as much due to the evaporation
I go with a small hang-on back UV, I think it is about 25watts with the 1200 maxijet pump in the sump. Yours is huge.

joeyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 06:59 PM   #577
karimwassef
Registered Member

So you're cultivating bacteria in your skimmate for a week and then adding it back in?

That's the first I've ever read or heard of this. Anyone else?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 08:16 PM   #578
cal_stir
Registered Member

I've checked my skimmate under the microscope, seen some microbes and some dinos but never microbes attacking dinos, but I never let it culture for a week.
I will let it culture and take another look.

cal_stir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2014, 09:49 PM   #579
karimwassef
Registered Member

Nice site. Thought I'd share
http://www.mnh.si.edu/highlight/sem/...agellates.html

Unread 12/31/2014, 12:43 AM   #580
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
So you're cultivating bacteria in your skimmate for a week and then adding it back in?

That's the first I've ever read or heard of this. Anyone else?
Not only bacteria but many other microorganisms like nematodes and ciliates. Skimmate is mainly water plus a Ca and Mg insoluble carbonates. It has no nitrate and little phosphate but can have SH2.

Snails keep pooping black crap for almost a week, that's the main drawback. Lol

Montireef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 12:45 AM   #581
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_stir View Post
I've checked my skimmate under the microscope, seen some microbes and some dinos but never microbes attacking dinos, but I never let it culture for a week.
I will let it culture and take another look.
You will be surprised of the amount of life you will find. LPSs love it

Unread 12/31/2014, 11:21 AM   #582
karimwassef
Registered Member

My skimmate is ugly sludge that smells like feces. It varies from brown water with black sludge to yellow water with brown sludge depending on how wet I run it.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Isn't the skimmate what we're using to export the dinos and is primary intended to remove DOCs?

Unread 12/31/2014, 11:26 AM   #583
karimwassef
Registered Member

photo 1348F12E-96C0-4A4D-AEAF-7470DABE230B_zpsajua2ixa.jpg

photo 142D5EA8-6258-49D6-96EF-EFB3ACAB255E_zpsxglizf1g.jpg

photo 4095C5A3-CC84-4304-9D0C-EE352A1A3583_zpsgrhxdy2g.jpg

Pics just to be sure

Unread 12/31/2014, 11:28 AM   #584
karimwassef
Registered Member

Do you let it settle and just pour the yellow liquid? Do you throw the brown chunks in? Break them up first?

Monti - I'm not doubting you. I've just never heard about it so I want to know more.

Unread 12/31/2014, 12:19 PM   #585
Montireef
Registered Member

Yes, the same nasty stuff.

I poured it in two times, one litre in the morning and one litre in the night, only the liquid, avoid solid chunks.

What we want are the bacteria and microorganisms, not the solid inert stuff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1420049123736.jpg (55.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1420049305915.jpg (44.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1420049596054.jpg (43.2 KB, 52 views)
Unread 12/31/2014, 12:21 PM   #586
Montireef
Registered Member

The next day I watched cristal clear water, higher redox and many black poop from my turbo snails (they love it). Corals extended awesome polyps two days after pouring it.

Unread 12/31/2014, 12:24 PM   #587
Budman422
Registered Member

Interesting aproach. I have been battling dinos off and on for over a year. I am not sure what kind. This all started a couple years ago with a crash of red flatworms then I lost most of my corals. I also lost all green algae in refugium at that time. I slowly restocked tank but was not able to grow

Budman422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 12:30 PM   #588
Budman422
Registered Member

I was not able to grow any green algae such as calurpa or cheato.coral grew slow. Then the dinos appeared. I am no longer losing any coral or fish I am getting good growth but this stuff is persistent.i have tried peroxide,heavy kalk dosing and lights out it still comes back. I believe it is defiantly an imbalance. And until it gets in balance I will be dealing with it.

Unread 12/31/2014, 12:50 PM   #589
joeyvu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montireef View Post
Yes, the same nasty stuff.

I poured it in two times, one litre in the morning and one litre in the night, only the liquid, avoid solid chunks.

What we want are the bacteria and microorganisms, not the solid inert stuff.
The last pic is the proof....He did it... I got to try it out too...

joeyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 12:58 PM   #590
Budman422
Registered Member

Do you think with adding the aged skimmate you are adding something to prey on and eat dinos. Maybe there is something to it. It kind of works like a culture

Unread 12/31/2014, 03:54 PM   #591
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
The next day I watched cristal clear water, higher redox and many black poop from my turbo snails (they love it). Corals extended awesome polyps two days after pouring it.
Wow, this approach makes no sense to me. If you are right then skimmers are a detriment to water quality. I know there are a number of successful skimmerless systems but anecdotally there appear to be more systems that use skimmers successfully. We know the research confirms high quality skimmers take out about 30% of organic contaminants in our water columns. Why would you think returning those contaminants would be a good thing?

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 03:57 PM   #592
saltydog1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoisier View Post
Wow, this approach makes no sense to me. If you are right then skimmers are a detriment to water quality. I know there are a number of successful skimmerless systems but anecdotally there appear to be more systems that use skimmers successfully. We know the research confirms high quality skimmers take out about 30% of organic contaminants in our water columns. Why would you think returning those contaminants would be a good thing?
Exactly what I was thinking....

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 tank , soft coral, ATI T5 6x54w lighting, Vertex Omega 150 skimmer, Tunze Osmolator, Eheim compact+ 3000 return pump, 1 Ecotech MP 40QD, Gyre 130
saltydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 04:02 PM   #593
karimwassef
Registered Member

Bud - that's interesting. I had an abundance of red flatworms in my refugium and they disappeared just before the dinos took over. Unlike your scenario, my chaeto is growing like crazy.

I don't think its a matter of high or low phosphates. It a biological problem with an invasive parasite.

Unread 12/31/2014, 04:13 PM   #594
Montireef
Registered Member

Most contaminants taken out by skimmers are bad indeed, no doubt about that.

I have run a 125 gal skimmerless acropora system for more than two years with no issues at all, every coral was thriving despite I held three big angelfish (annularis, imperator and xanthometopon), a big japonicus, one flavescens and many small fishes. The only drawback was very unstable and every change should be done very slowly, specially changes in their diet.

The point here is not what the skimmer is taking out, but the microorganisms that compete and grow in the skimmate. Do you know what happens if you let the skimmate sit in the skimmer cup warm in a humid environment that prevent rapid evaporation? I'll tell you: the skimmate turns turbid clear, just like the water you could find in a pond.

The skimmate holds the most efficient bacteria and microorganisms you could imagine: nematodes, rotifers, cocos, spiros...and ciliates, many ciliates (with use to be omnivore creatures). This is what we just want: efficient selected microorganisms able to prey on dinoflagellates which are on the first trophic step.

Just place some GAC on your filter/mesh to remove the bad stuff and release the stinky waters back to the tank, I'm sure you will be surprised.

Unread 12/31/2014, 04:22 PM   #595
Montireef
Registered Member

PO4 and NO3 showing 0,0 ppm readings 24 hours after pouring old skimmate back to the tank

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1420064127874.jpg (54.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1420064291014.jpg (53.9 KB, 28 views)
Unread 12/31/2014, 04:34 PM   #596
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoisier View Post
i think the whole point is that this is being done on a system infested with dinos as a way to cultivate and introduce something that will outcompete or prey on the dinos...i don't think this is something you would otherwise do

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 04:38 PM   #597
Montireef
Registered Member

And this is the outcome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeWI...ature=youtu.be

No trace of ostreopsis ovata (probably the worst dinofalgellate I have ever come across) after a few days. Bear in mind that these microorganisms whatever they are grew in a hard and dangerous environment when in the skimmer cup. Then they where released in a mild and stable one (the tank) where they got loose and outcompeted/prey on every dinoflagellate around.

Unread 12/31/2014, 04:40 PM   #598
Montireef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
i think the whole point is that this is being done on a system infested with dinos as a way to cultivate and introduce something that will outcompete or prey on the dinos...i don't think this is something you would otherwise do
Exactly.

No need to do in normal circumstances. It was a small sacrifice for the system just to get rid of the bad guys.

Just a few minutes to start a new year in my country...happy 2015 for everybody!!!

Unread 12/31/2014, 04:52 PM   #599
saltydog1
Registered Member

Quote:
Exactly.

No need to do in normal circumstances. It was a small sacrifice for the system just to get rid of the bad guys.

Just a few minutes to start a new year in my country...happy 2015 for everybody!!!
Happy New Year !!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 tank , soft coral, ATI T5 6x54w lighting, Vertex Omega 150 skimmer, Tunze Osmolator, Eheim compact+ 3000 return pump, 1 Ecotech MP 40QD, Gyre 130
saltydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2014, 05:00 PM   #600
Budman422
Registered Member

I am now going macro in my sump like crazy but at the beginning of the dino outbreak I could not. I think he may be making a culture of something that is utilizing the dinos for balance on the system I guess I will save my skimate